Rescue class

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Rescue class

Post by DiverDown »

I have a question to those that have taken the rescue class? First off I don't want to exclude any other organizations, I am assuming they are called similar names? But My question is, what is the the most important thing you have learned??

My experience taught me that, I always look dive buddies in the eyes. I help with quite a few students through the years. And the biggest thing I notice is there eyes. So after I took my rescue class, My diving changed forever. So is this good or bad? Now when I dive I always pay attention to the divers that are in my (immediate) group. My opinion is that rescue diver training is a logical step to those that enjoy diving. More than just every now and then.

So what is you experience, what do other organizations say?? My affiliation is PADI. What I don't want to see is "organization bashing"..

I am asking this to see what similarities there are. As far as I am concerned, rescue "type " training is important to scuba divers
Who run barter town?
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Rescue changes how you view diving. If it doesn't, then take the class again. I watch my students and my buddies "eyes" a lot too. They tell me what is happening.

The most important thing I learned and I teach is to keep yourself safe. I go over self-rescue and I feel it is the most valuable part of rescue.

Practicing out of air emergencies is a great example. Sounder and I were talking about how he loves to practice this skill, especially using his 7ft long hose. By keeping calm and knowing what to do if you run out of air is vital. If you panic, it can kill you.

I have had students attempt to drag me to the surface from 60ft. If I can't stop them, or get away from them, knowing how to do a CESA properly has saved my life. Even practicing ditching weight is a good idea. I take my mask off at 50-60 feet once in a while just to practice. I do reg recoverlies all the time in the pool, but I also practice in open water. Even getting in and out of my gear in the water, with gloves on is something I do just to make sure I can.

It doesn't matter what agency you take your rescue from, all the courses promote safety and will help you learn what to do in case of an emergency.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pinkpadigal wrote: If you panic, it can kill you.

I have had students attempt to drag me to the surface from 60ft. If I can't stop them, or get away from them, knowing how to do a CESA properly has saved my life.

Wow- just....wow. I just keep wondering if they'd be so hot to drag me to the surface with a dive knife stuck in their neck. Why would some one try and drag you UP? I can sort of understand someone trying to climb ontop of you if they think they're drowning, and they push you underwater. But why on earth would they try and drag you to the surface? Maybe they're afraid of being in the chamber alone and want to make sure they have company?

Do tell, Amy- I assume this person didn't pass the class?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Rescue Diver was a significant milestone for me. It was the first time I felt confident that I could actually handle an emergency situation (both for myself and for others). As a tropical diver early-on, I always had the (sometimes false) comfort of having a DM nearby to handle emergencies and to generally take care of the group of divers, who more often than not did not know each other.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

All I can say is that the instructor makes the class. Rescue was in my eyes the most important class I have ever taken. All divers should take it. There may of been a few sections of DM class harder but by far becoming a Rescue Certified diver changes the way you look at diving for the rest of your life. It did for me.

Charles
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm taking Rescue with Tattoo Bob and Diverdown right now- we just finished our pool work tonight. It's a great class so far, I'm enjoying it.

I've taken the EMT class here in WA and back in NM where I'm from, although I've never worked or been licensed as an EMT. But I did volunteer at the Harborview ER for a while- I wanted to be a paramedic or an ER nurse. Anyway, I've done my share of dry land "rescuer- victim" scenarios. This class reminds me a lot of those classes: "Diver, diver, are you OK?" Of course, doing stuff like this in the water adds a lot of challenge to things, and we've been in a nice warm pool so far, so I'm expecting the stakes are gonna be a wee bit higher out in the sound!

Anyway, learning some of the techniques for dealing with panicked divers and whatnot are very interesting- it is a confidence builder, for sure.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The most important thing you can learn in a Rescue class is how to recognize the circumstances that can lead to an accident, and how to take proactive steps to avoid them.

The best accident is the one that doesn't happen ... because you saw it coming and did what you needed to do in order to prevent it.

That's what we refer to when we talk about "self-rescue" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

[quote="Nailer99Wow- just....wow. I just keep wondering if they'd be so hot to drag me to the surface with a dive knife stuck in their neck. Why would some one try and drag you UP? I can sort of understand someone trying to climb ontop of you if they think they're drowning, and they push you underwater. But why on earth would they try and drag you to the surface? Maybe they're afraid of being in the chamber alone and want to make sure they have company?

Do tell, Amy- I assume this person didn't pass the class?[/quote]

Occassionally, as an instructor, you have a student panic at depth and they want to go to the surface. Fast. They hit the inflate button and away they go...I will try to stop them but if I can't, I may be moving too fast with them so I am "riding" along. Sometimes they grab ahold of me because they are scared. That is when I start "ahhhhhhh" all the way to the surface, dumping as I go.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah- I was talking about that w/ DD and Tattoo Bob tonight. I get it now. I have a hard time identifying w/ straight up panic- I didn't quite see what you meant at first.

girldiver
Compulsive Diver

The Program makes the difference

Post by girldiver »

I believe the Instructor/Program totally makes the Rescue Class. I was trained at a facility that places HUGE emphasis on making the Rescue Class feel as "real" as possible. It wasn't just going through Scenario #1, #2 and #3.

You were pushed. Beyond what you believed you were capable of. You gained not only rescue skills, but more importantly, the belief that you could make a difference in an unfortunate situation.

Then one day it happened. My "skills" were put to the test. And in real life...they were there. No thinking, just doing what I was taught.

It's a course that you need to revisit, so that the skills stay fresh. When you need them, they need to be second nature.

By far, the most valuable course you will ever take.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, after today, I think the question is: Did you do your rescue class in a snowstorm? :supz:

DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Dude talk about extreme conditions!! Hell yeah, it doesent matter the conditions just that you can rescue some one. Thats some good training, I just wish I wasent sick and I could join the class.. :pale:Cough,cough... ](*,)
Who run barter town?
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Rescue class is by far the best class I've ever taken. My wife and I both took the class and two of our friends ended up helping out being victims [they had previously taken the class].

This class should really open your eyes up to not only what to look for in a possible situation but what to look for if a situation comes up.

Sometimes it's the simplest things that are totally forgotten.

A good instructor will make or break this class. A student should really go into this class knowing nothing about the class or the exercises. It's more fun for you and for the instructor, which is why you're getting such vague details about it from everyone hehe.
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

I am going to sign up with Capital Divers (SSI) as soon as they post their new schedule - I want to find out how I react underwater to emergencies - knowing how I react will allow me to be in a better position to help my buddy should the occasion ever arise.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

hee hee you're going to find out more than just how to react under water.

You'll love it. =D>
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Nailer99 wrote:Well, after today, I think the question is: Did you do your rescue class in a snowstorm? :supz:
Well, I did. March, 2002, in a snowstorm at 3 Tree Point. Darn near froze too (I was still a newer diver and didn't have my layers figured right yet).

-Valerie