Took my daughter diving....

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Took my daughter diving....

Post by olyvtx »

sort of.... Its been a month since her passing and im finally feeling up enough to go diving. My dive buddy Raptor got back last week from Afghanistan but has been battling sinus congestion since. So I decided to take Jen with me on a solo dive at Redondo. Splash time was 5:06pm Sunday, hightide. Vis was great, just as reported! Saw my only hooded nudi this year swimming in open water just in front of the pier. Followed the rope out towards the bottle field but stop at the last boat before the field, 92'. A couple other divers swam out there and was surprised to see me. They stirred up the muck a bit as they turned around and spooked a cabi I was gonna try to get a pic of. I turned in and swam around the usual junk closer to shore then headed in. Dive time was 1hr 10 min. Saw the usual critters, octos, gunnels, fish, etc. Camera worked ok, i used my DC800 body in the DC1000 housing. Worked well.

Jen became a dive master in Hondoras on her first leg of a year long world tour she earn with the Bonderman Fellowship at the UW. She never got to experience our challenging "cold" water diving.
n712370617_1991184_7639.jpg
here's some pics of the dive.
Attachments
PICT0150.jpg
PICT0189.jpg
PICT0164.jpg
PICT0159.jpg
PICT0158.jpg
PICT0130.jpg
PICT0099.jpg
PICT0113.jpg
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: Took my daughter diving....

Post by defied »

Nice in flight shot of the octo!

D(B)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Those are great shots. We haven't had a chance to meet yet, but from one parent to another you have my deepest sympathies for your loss.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow a hermit crab party! Unusual shot!
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Truly sorry for your loss.....
I'm glad you were able to go diving again.....a wonderful way to honor her memory....beautiful photos.
HUGS
steve murvine
Just Settling In

Post by steve murvine »

glad to see you are diving !!
great shots !!
come on down to San Diego and hop on my boat dude !!
Steve M
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

My condolences to you and your family.

I believe we met this summer while diving on Don’s boat. You were diving with Steve M. (forever known to me as ScubaSteve). A few months later, while diving PT, he told me of your loss.

Give me a shout when you are ready to head up here for some boat or shore diving.

-Mark
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

i have to echo the sentiment of others here in expressing my sorrow for your loss.. I hope I am never able to fully understand your grief... but what a cool thing to say that you 'took her with you'... thats... well... at the risk of sounding like a sissy that make me tear up dude... for realz... any parent can understand that... sounds to me like you weren't the only one blessed.... by the way you post I'd think she felt equally blessed to have you in her life...

Great post Olyvtx. Thank you for sharing that very personal moment and thought. :thankyouyellow:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

It's a loss we all do not wish for, an act that brings a tear to anyone regardless of experience of death or not. I feel remorse for her, but in my own beliefs. I believe she is happy wherever she is watching you carry on with your dives, probably herself diving with you in soul and spirit. When you feel that presence of warmth, imagine that she is there giving you the diver's "ok" sign for she is your new guardian dive angel.