Saltwater St. Park - Sort Of....

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Saltwater St. Park - Sort Of....

Post by Tom Nic »

Was hoping to be giving a full report, but alas, it is not to be. I'll start out with the best pic - one of two for the dive, and then tell the story that goes with it.

Bnboly and I went Jun 15th, trying to do the 11:30 AM slack. We went in early, surface swam ALL THE WAY to the farthest buoy. We were separated by 30' or so during the surface swim, so we didn't talk on the way out. Upon arriving at the buoy Bill tells me he has a leak in his boot. #-o Now what?

We're a good 300 yards from the entry, so Bill decides we should go for it anyway. We drop, and I keep a careful eye on Bill as we head southWEST a little from the buoy. There was north flowing current at the surface, but none to speak of when hit the bottom in about 25 fsw. Viz is less than 10', HUGE, closely placed PNW "snot globules" are the order of the day. :huge: Really nasty...

I keep waiting & watching for the rock trail as we moved deeper... nothing. Ran into a tire pile - supposedly the only one left. Then another. And another. And keep following them deeper. I check with Bill at 60 fsw. He motions that his dry suit is half full of water. :angry:

Oy... We turn and start heading shallower and back toward the entry, figuring that we'll at least run into some of the rocks on the way back. Nope. :banghead: We get shallower and shallower, and about 30 minutes later it becomes obvious that we have done a 300 yard surface swim, started a dive, and somehow managed to take the ONLY route through the entire reef that would manage to MISS the entire structure!? :computersmash: I don't think I could do that again if that was my intention. The last 15 minutes were spent returning to shore in about 15fsw, then a 100 yd. walk back into shore.

I almost don't want to record my survey. I just will make sure and put "sandy bottom" instead of "artificial reef" for the surveyed area. We did see a small skate on the way back in, and a rather lost looking Penpoint gunnel out in the middle of the sand desert looking vaguely dazed and confused. Of course I didn't get a picture of either.

OK, rant off. After dumping gallons of water out of poor Bill's suit, and a leisurely gear rinse in the very nice shower and facilities at Saltwater St. Park, I really do want to come back and do this dive. It was a beautiful day, we had a safe dive in spite of equipment issues, and it was fun being out and about. Maybe next time I'll actually find the reef.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gooch
Submariner

Re: Saltwater St. Park - Sort Of....

Post by Gooch »

Great Picture :) I'll remember it well when my feet are damp and I'm complaining......
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Fascinating... I've not seen a drysuit mark it's territory like that before.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

What model P valve is that? :neener:
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Jeff Kruse wrote:What model P valve is that? :neener:
What a opening for a come back. I had to physically stop my fingers. :banghead: But I will just wait for others. :popcorn:
Charles
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Well, if it comforts you at all, when we did the critterwatcher dive there in April, there were plenty of people who missed the new reef as well, so I think it might be harder to find than you think!

The new map that Chevayea did will probably help immensely though!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:The new map that Chevayea did will probably help immensely though!
Uh... :uh: we used the map. Never underestimate my ability to screw up directions. :questionmarks:

I don't think we went deep enough - of course due to not "pushing" the dive because Bill's suit was half full of water. Bill is a dedicated dive buddy but I don't think he would have followed me around in the snot viz looking for the reef rocks! :stick:

After telling my story I've had recommendations to start at the South buoy and head north for an easier find of the first rocks. I'll try that next.

It's really too bad that the buoys were installed with the wrong kind of rope. It would really be handy to have all 4 of them, and from what I hear there soon will only be one because of the rope fraying.

I WILL dive this site! :fish:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Try going straight out from the stream (not sure the heading). Swim out a little ways and check back to make sure you're still roughly perpendicular to shore straight out from the stream. Its flat for a way, but head down to 60ft, turn right and you can follow the 60ft contour to the first reef without any buoys. Continue if you leave the 1st reef maybe 5ft downslope from the upper end - roughly 50-55ft, you can contour over at that depth to the second reef. A quick looksy at that is about all you'll probably be able to do on a single tank. Then come curve upslope for safety stops. You will surface north of the stream but can swim or walk diagonally back towards the entrance beach.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Tom Nic wrote:
nwscubamom wrote:The new map that Chevayea did will probably help immensely though!
Uh... :uh: we used the map. Never underestimate my ability to screw up directions. :questionmarks:

After telling my story I've had recommendations to start at the South buoy and head north for an easier find of the first rocks. I'll try that next.

I WILL dive this site! :fish:
That's exactly what I do. I head to the first buoy , descend and head to 40'-50', take a right and you will run into either the small rocks at less than 50' or the big ones deeper than 50'. We've been talking about running some lines out to help people find the reefs. We're working with the park on that project right now.