SS Governor and M/S Diamond Knot

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: SS Governor and M/S Diamond Knot

Post by CaptnJack »

ljjames wrote:Nice vid richard, but you need a disclaimer with regards to wearing a scope patch before watching parts of it ;)
Just like being there!!!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

OK, here is (hopefully) my humble attempt at video of the knot :)

Hopefully this will embed correctly ad youtube didnt destroy it completely (there will be a relatively unmolested version on vimeo)

I have enough footage to make a "non scooter" dive with just the off the trigger time so maybe I will not feel so bad about having to exclude so much footage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJW8WREn25U
Last edited by limeyx on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

limeyx wrote:OK, here is (hopefully) my humble attempt at video of the knot :)

Hopefully this will embed correctly ad youtube didnt destroy it completely (there will be a relatively unmolested version on vimeo)

I have enough footage to make a "non scooter" dive with just the off the trigger time so maybe I will not feel so bad about having to exclude so much footage!
Awesome video!

But jeez...learn how to embed, will ya?! ;)
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

BDub wrote:
limeyx wrote:OK, here is (hopefully) my humble attempt at video of the knot :)

Awesome video!

But jeez...learn how to embed, will ya?! ;)
Maybe I can phone a friend ? or some kind of 50/50 option ? heh heh
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

That Diamond Knot video was AWESOME ! Thanks for sharing :joshsmith:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great vid.....BUT WE WANT GOVERNOR FOOTAGE!!!!!!!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:
limeyx wrote: sorry dude :) but to even things up I did get some footage of Brian with his 6ft of bag flapping in the wind :)
there is definitely a "right" and a "wrong" side of the lens to be on in general !
Many of Brian's students are eagerly awaiting this video. \:D/

I feel so... validated. :clap:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

airsix wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
limeyx wrote: sorry dude :) but to even things up I did get some footage of Brian with his 6ft of bag flapping in the wind :)
there is definitely a "right" and a "wrong" side of the lens to be on in general !
Many of Brian's students are eagerly awaiting this video. \:D/

I feel so... validated. :clap:
See, the "thinking diver" would wait til they're actually done with their class before piping up to their instructor :shootself:

Guess I'm gonna have to work with you a bit more..... :snipersmiley:

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

Joshua Smith wrote:Great vid.....BUT WE WANT GOVERNOR FOOTAGE!!!!!!!
Whats the Governor ? :) :)

I am almost ready to post it up. Just waiting on a couple of items. I was hoping to secure an historical image but it may have been lost in a sad HD crash & I am waiting to check something else before I post it publicly!

Nick
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

OK, here it is :)

I may want to work on the audio and the compression a bit more, some artifacts seem to be showing up & I may wrap some historical info in later.

Unfortunately, due to a variety of factors I didnt get that much footage but I am trying to make the most of what we did manage to get!

Hopefully we have thanked everyone who helped out on this dive, it took a monumental amount of planning and we are just happy to have managed to get on the darned thing honestly !!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZINHJpPPU[/youtube]
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Awesome. Thanks for putting it up! Don't worry- no video can possibly convey what it feels like to see that wreck for the first time!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Great video! Thanks!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Nicely done video -- I like the preparatory stuff footage, and the transition from B&W to color and sound on the wreck.

A couple of questions about the dive that occurred to me, as someone completely naive to these sorts of dives, while watching it: First off, why did you run line through the whole dive? It looks as though the viz was pretty good -- was it not possible to orient on the wreck to get back to a tied off reel?

Second, what role do scooters play in this kind of dive? Were they purely insurance, or purely for fun? I ask this because you only had one scooter apiece, so I would assume there was no critical role for the scooters. Battery time obviously wasn't an issue, because BT is going to be so much less than battery time, but would it have been any kind of issue if one had simply failed?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:Awesome. Thanks for putting it up! Don't worry- no video can possibly convey what it feels like to see that wreck for the first time!
That would be Edge's squeal you can hear in there...
LCF wrote:Nicely done video -- I like the preparatory stuff footage, and the transition from B&W to color and sound on the wreck.

A couple of questions about the dive that occurred to me, as someone completely naive to these sorts of dives, while watching it: First off, why did you run line through the whole dive? It looks as though the viz was pretty good -- was it not possible to orient on the wreck to get back to a tied off reel?

Second, what role do scooters play in this kind of dive? Were they purely insurance, or purely for fun? I ask this because you only had one scooter apiece, so I would assume there was no critical role for the scooters. Battery time obviously wasn't an issue, because BT is going to be so much less than battery time, but would it have been any kind of issue if one had simply failed?
Its way to dark to navigate back to the upline visually, nevermind not having enough time to actually orient and figure out the layout of things. A small wreck in the lake is visually navigatable because they are intact enough for you to recognize stuff and remember what the upline was next to. The Governor is 400ft long, 47ft wide, and sank 90+yrs ago, its not really visually navigatable - if you wanna get back that is. We could have just ascended directly and skipped getting back to the upline altogether. For our 2nd try, after being blow off on the surface the 1st, not knowing anything about the bottom, we chose to return to the upline.

The scooters are mostly to get off the surface and down the upline with multiple bottles fast. 240ft down with 360ft of line out takes alot of gas to descend. Swimming multiple bottles (with a huge video cam) sucks. We didn't really go so far that we couldn't have swam back, and obviously towing is fairly straighforward, esp for only a couple hundred feet horizontally and would could do a direct ascent at any time as well. They aren't critical pieces of equipment but they make the dive sooo much easier.
Last edited by CaptnJack on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

LCF wrote:Nicely done video -- I like the preparatory stuff footage, and the transition from B&W to color and sound on the wreck.

Good questions...

At 240', we weren't going to leave anything to chance. We needed to get back to the upline, so we ran line. A direct ascent was possible, but not preferred.

We were expecting stiff current, hence the scooters.

To be honest, we had no idea what to expect. We hadn't done the dive, but we knew it was going to be challenging, and we had a very healthy respect for it. We brought the scooters for current, and to cover more area of the wreck if we chose to. We ended up using them to get us down the line, from the upline to the wreck, and back to the upline. We didn't bring any redundant scooters simply because our bottom time was way less than the scooters' burntimes. If we had a failure, we'd simply tow the scooterless diver.

Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Awesome video. The music and the b&w do a great job of conveing how special a dive like this is. Boy oh Boy I hope someday....
Last edited by Mattleycrue76 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

Joshua Smith wrote:Awesome. Thanks for putting it up! Don't worry- no video can possibly convey what it feels like to see that wreck for the first time!
Actually I think Jeanna's high-pitched squeal is what comes closest to that feeling :) heh heh
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Awesome video. The music and the b&w do a gret job of conveing how special a dive like this is. Boy oh Boy I hope someday....
Thanks! We are hoping for a return in 2010....
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

First of all congrats on getting on the Gov. Its a very challenging dive. Over the years it has always been one of my favorite.
After watching your video please don't tell me you guys cut and left your line. We always make the effort to retrieve our lines. The reason is the Gov is of the wrecks out here that doesn't have a spider web of this stuff on it. Would be real nice to keep it that way.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

rjw wrote:First of all congrats on getting on the Gov. Its a very challenging dive. Over the years it has always been one of my favorite.
After watching your video please don't tell me you guys cut and left your line. We always make the effort to retrieve our lines. The reason is the Gov is of the wrecks out here that doesn't have a spider web of this stuff on it. Would be real nice to keep it that way.
Thanks.

No, we didn't leave any line on the wreck. It drives me insane seeing line spider webs as well, and we saw no other line on the wreck either.

rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

BDub wrote:
rjw wrote:First of all congrats on getting on the Gov. Its a very challenging dive. Over the years it has always been one of my favorite.
Thanks.

No, we didn't leave any line on the wreck. It drives me insane seeing line spider webs as well, and we saw no other line on the wreck either.
Cool, its nice to hear that. So what's next for you guys? Bunker Hill ? Admiral Sampson?
FOTTF
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

rjw wrote:
BDub wrote:
Thanks.

Cool, its nice to hear that. So what's next for you guys? Bunker Hill ? Admiral Sampson?
Samson is out of our range at this point. We were talking about the AJ Fuller as a possibility as that fits in well with logistics since I think my girlfriend might come up next time and she can do some recreational dives in the cove while we hit the wreck.

We will probably work on a few wrecks in the 200-240 range with less extreme conditions & then plan another go on the governor next year

Nick
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

rjw wrote:
BDub wrote:
Thanks.

Actually, Jeanna and I are hoping to get out with you guys shortly.

After that, we're talking about the MT6 and the Fuller.

We've got another trip to the Diamond Knot and the Black Dragon next month.

rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

BDub wrote:
rjw wrote:
BDub wrote:
rjw wrote:First of all congrats on getting on the Gov. Its a very challenging dive. Actually, Jeanna and I are hoping to get out with you guys shortly.
Anything in particular?

After that, we're talking about the MT6 and the Fuller.

We've got another trip to the Diamond Knot and the Black Dragon next month.
Is that an invite? LOLOLOLOL
FOTTF