A few pix from PT

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

A few pix from PT

Post by Dusty2 »

Another nice week of diving at Port Townsend. Always things to see and photograph. This weeks star was the cross jellies. They were there in numbers making for very entertaining safety stops and play in the shallows. The viz was pretty good the first couple of days and on thrusday I came up into the shallows to find a school of hundreds of jellies dancing in the sunlight. Sad to say there are very hard to get a good shot of.
1327net.JPG
1354rnet.JPG
Here are a few more fun critters.
1305ecu.JPG
1379net.JPG
1411net.JPG
1623net.JPG
1654net.JPG
This guy was as interested in me as I was in him. He kept putting an arm out and I would put a finger out and he would feel my finger and hand then pose some more before repeating the gesture. It really made my dive.
1667net.JPG
This guy has a whole assidian selection residing on his shell
1455net.JPG
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Re: A few pix from PT

Post by Huskychemist »

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

What's in picture number 6? (Counting from the top.)
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, I'm envious of the octo interaction! Lovely pictures . . . thanks for putting them up.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Huskychemist wrote:Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

What's in picture number 6? (Counting from the top.)
It's a baby wolf eel. Here are a couple more.I think PT must be a nursery of sorts. I see juviniles up to the purple stage just beginning to change to adult colors but never full adults?
0450eecu.JPG
0466net.JPG
Here is a tweener
0486net.JPG
0495net.JPG
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

I've never seen young wolfies like that. Where do you see them (which sites?). BTW - once again, great shots!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I looooove the baby wolfies!!! (even more than spiny lumpsuckers)

if you visit them a lot, they can imprint on you... they'll even follow you around like a puppy...

I met one a few years back at the junk yard and visited her almost daily from when she was small gunnel size to when she was ~4-5' long and turning grey/purple... She was at our PMR site and the kids on the boat LOVED seeing her when we were videoing...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

My sightings are at Point Hudson in Port Townsend. They seem to like more open areas then the adults and are usually under something or in small cracks or containers not usually in the rocks where you see adults. They are very timid and if they see you first you probably will never see them. They are very brightly colored and easy to spot with a good light and if you approach slowly they will usually stay to see what your up to. This little guy was in an old bottle which was surprising but will give you an idea of how small they can be.
1156net.JPG
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Dusty2 wrote:My sightings are at Point Hudson in Port Townsend. They seem to like more open areas then the adults and are usually under something or in small cracks or containers not usually in the rocks where you see adults.
Do you dive on the NE side of the marina or to the SW side of it?
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

lovely the way that warbonnet posed for you there! The jelly against the surface works really well too.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Nice photos. I like the coloring on the baby wolfies. The few babies that I have seen are probably a little older and have been a rust color. Are these photos with your new g10?
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Post by Huskychemist »

Dusty,

Thanks for the ID on the Juvie Wolfeel. I've seen them young, but never that young. Very pretty.

Lowell
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Chevayea wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:My sightings are at Point Hudson in Port Townsend. They seem to like more open areas then the adults and are usually under something or in small cracks or containers not usually in the rocks where you see adults.
Do you dive on the NE side of the marina or to the SW side of it?
I work the area from the west marina jetty as far sw as the pier at the police station and occasionally the old ferry dock. There is quite an extensive debris field from the maritime center pier west at the base of the drop off. They are usually in the 30 t0 50 ft range but not a real common find so you will need to be lucky.

And no these were all with my old camera rig. My G10 was delivered while I was up there and hasn't been in the water yet. It is just sitting here on my desk waiting for it's first dive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

One more for those that liked the baby wolfies. This is a very rare thing indeed. Catching a baby out in the open.
3981net.JPG
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

That is an amazing shot!! Terrific find, thanks for posting that.
Life is good, let's dive!!