Flooded Mine

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Flooded Mine

Post by Joshua Smith »

BDub wrote:Video's up!

We're doing 2 videos. The first one is footage of the main shaft. The second one will feature footage from the passages

THAT was some kick-ass video, y'all! FWIW, I loved the creepy dark video- it works perfectly, and I wouldn't change a damn thing about it. Those images gave me the shivers for the same reason I get them looking at shipwrecks- seeing all those submerged artifacts blows my mind- it's like an underwater time capsule! I was particularly struck by all the ladders and shoring, as a carpenter. If I'd been alive in that time and place, it could easily have been me who built all of that.

REALLY cool! :occasion5:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:THAT was some kick-ass video, y'all! FWIW, I loved the creepy dark video- it works perfectly, and I wouldn't change a damn thing about it. Those images gave me the shivers for the same reason I get them looking at shipwrecks- seeing all those submerged artifacts blows my mind- it's like an underwater time capsule! I was particularly struck by all the ladders and shoring, as a carpenter. If I'd been alive in that time and place, it could easily have been me who built all of that.

Wow, thanks. This has been a fun journey. We are researching a new adventure soon...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Joshua Smith wrote:

We're doing 2 videos. The first one is footage of the main shaft. The second one will feature footage from the passages

THAT was some kick-ass video, y'all! FWIW, I loved the creepy dark video- it works perfectly, and I wouldn't change a damn thing about it. Those images gave me the shivers for the same reason I get them looking at shipwrecks- seeing all those submerged artifacts blows my mind- it's like an underwater time capsule! I was particularly struck by all the ladders and shoring, as a carpenter. If I'd been alive in that time and place, it could easily have been me who built all of that.

Thanks dude. It was an awesome dive. I'm still giddy
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

/me acronym understanding fail (look! A geek in the making!!!)

TWSS? :dontknow:

and ON topic...

Cool video! :thumb3d:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Jenbowes wrote:/me acronym understanding fail (look! A geek in the making!!!)

TWSS....rookie ;)

Oh, and...
Jenbowes wrote:and ON topic...

Cool video! :thumb3d:
Thanks!

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
MrsDiverBob
Avid Diver

Post by MrsDiverBob »

Jenbowes wrote:/me acronym understanding fail (look! A geek in the making!!!)

Look back at this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wf2pP7T0Y[/youtube]
Then re-read the posts! It'll make more sense!! \:D/
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Where is the other video?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Where is the other video?
HERE

:smt051
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

YOU SONOFABITCH!
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Matt just had to tell me what happened here and then he said "Wow! You're so internet naive that the worst thing anyone can do to you just rolls off your back."

Neener neener! I'm too green to be affected by YOU! :-)
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I'll have it up this weekend, Sheahan

Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

BDub wrote:
I'll have it up this weekend, Sheahan
four hours and not a single TWSS. Either you guys are slipping, or growing up.

On second thought, I take that back. You guys are slipping.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Nic video, you guys wewe awesome, thanks for sharing.

There was talk a while bach of a flooded missle silo dive in eastern washington. Any videos of that around?
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

TCWestby wrote:Nic video, you guys wewe awesome, thanks for sharing.

There was talk a while bach of a flooded missle silo dive in eastern washington. Any videos of that around?
Not by us.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

TCWestby wrote:There was talk a while bach of a flooded missle silo dive in eastern washington. Any videos of that around?

I've been hearing about the missle silos since before I started diving. Starting to think it's an urban legend....except that a buddy of mine claims to know a guy who has access to one somewhere. If it's true- I want to dive it!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I know a lava tube on private land in E. OR that I am trying to get access to. But being an urbanite its not easy, my contact comes and goes. Someday...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
TCWestby wrote:There was talk a while bach of a flooded missle silo dive in eastern washington. Any videos of that around?

I've been hearing about the missle silos since before I started diving. Starting to think it's an urban legend....except that a buddy of mine claims to know a guy who has access to one somewhere. If it's true- I want to dive it!
Oregonian article

"Titan I site 568-C near Royal City, Washington" - http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/sites.html

and look who posted in this scubaboard thread - our very own airsix.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I finally got a chance to watch the video, and it's very cool. But I want to commend the divers. Having had a chance to do some vertical drops in Florida, I know how difficult it is to do a really good job of a continuous drop without much room to maneuver. This was very elegantly done, and how Jeanna managed the camera and all that is beyond me!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

TCWestby wrote:Nic video, you guys wewe awesome, thanks for sharing.

Waluke area off Hw 24 between Othello and Mattawa on the north side of the HY their are 3 and on the south side at least 4 (Hanford side) mabey more, we used to get chased out by black helicopters when ever we ventured that way too far. They sealed up the entrance to the last one in 1991. today you would have to jackhammer out 5' of concrete to get the first blast hatch. If you are driving you cannot miss them look for the trees in a square and a old road going to it. If you go out their you will see a concrete box that is about 4' high 6' wide and 8' long that is full of concrete if you can get the top doors open.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

The third and final (for this mine anyway) video is up.

This video is mostly the side passages. The main shaft was almost completely vertical, so while the video in the first 2 looks pretty horizontal it is a very steep vertical incline. The side passages were completely horizontal.

Also, there were issues with the primary camera when were were exploring the bottom passages, so most of this footage is Richard using Jeanna's camera.

Mine Video #3

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Boy, small silty places to turn around!

Watching the video, I can't imagine working in a mine in such small passages.

I still think it's very cool you guys did the tremendous work to get up there to see what was there.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Boy, small silty places to turn around!

I still think it's very cool you guys did the tremendous work to get up there to see what was there.
The drifts are bigger than they look. Maybe 6 or 7 ft tall and 4ft wide, we didn't measure exactly. Apparently mines in the Rockies have more (leached) minerals/ore at depth while here the reverse is the case. They basically dug as little as possible to extract the ores they desired. Even using air drills, blasting, etc the less waste rock you produce the more profitable your production is.

Given the correct vehicle (Joe's T100 4wd with big tires) we pretty much drove right up to this one. The flooded shaft is about 500-600ft back walking through knee to thigh deep 50F water with rail tracks on the floor to trip you. Otherwise access is downright dreamy. I know about a few more possibilties which are unfortunately alot more work to access. Probably spend a day hiking into one this fall but not plan on diving until next spring.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:
LCF wrote:Boy, small silty places to turn around!

The drifts are bigger than they look. Maybe 6 or 7 ft tall and 4ft wide, we didn't measure exactly. Apparently mines in the Rockies have more (leached) minerals/ore at depth while here the reverse is the case. They basically dug as little as possible to extract the ores they desired. Even using air drills, blasting, etc the less waste rock you produce the more profitable your production is.

Given the correct vehicle (Joe's T100 4wd with big tires) we pretty much drove right up to this one. The flooded shaft is about 500-600ft back walking through knee to thigh deep 50F water with rail tracks on the floor to trip you. Otherwise access is downright dreamy. I know about a few more possibilties which are unfortunately alot more work to access. Probably spend a day hiking into one this fall but not plan on diving until next spring.
Yeah, the main shaft is actually tighter than the drifts. The upper 35' of the main shaft is very tight. However, the workers were climbing ladders, so very little clearance was needed. The first two videos are deceptive in how vertical it is

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yeah we were aiming for 170+ft on the 2nd dive. So we had 119s of 18/45, 50% and O2. But found the black silty floor at 115ft. 20min BT IIRC. Normally I probably would have skipped the EAN50 deco and just gone to O2 for 5 mins. But we found a new drift at 56ffw on the descent so we did 3mins at 70ft, 1 at 60ft and then maybe 8mins poking into the new drift at 56ffw. At that point we were "done" with deco so we didn't have to wedge ourselves together in zero vis at 20ft on O2. There is alot more room at the bottom than at the top.
blt2go
Avid Diver

Post by blt2go »