Sony DSC-W290 - 12 MP/ Wide Angle, High Dev - $500

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Sony DSC-W290 - 12 MP/ Wide Angle, High Dev - $500

Post by Chevayea »

Okay, so I finally got the camera and I thought since it is a new-comer among us here on the board that I would give it its own thread and post some of the pictures that I take along the way. I'll also mention which settings I use so that anyone else looking into getting one will learn from my trial and error process.

Here's the data about the camera:
Sony Cybershot DSC-W290 - 12.1mp point and shoot with a wide angle lense that shoots High-Dev video. It has a 3" display screen and loads of auto settings and manual overrides including flash intensity, ISO settings, image stabilization, etc.

Sony makes a housing for this camera that accommodates the wide angle and has a diffuser for the flash (which would otherwise be blocked by the lense) allowing use of the built in flash for the camera.

The camera is $250 on the SONY website.
Housing is $200
+ Memory cards (sony uses Memory Pro duo)

My total - $530 including shipping, 4 gig Memory card, camera and housing and a couple spare sets of o-rings (just to be safe)

You can see it on the Sony website here:
Sony Cybershot DSC-W290
Click accessories to see the housing.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Re: Sony DSC-W290 - 12 MP/ Wide Angle, High Dev - $500

Post by Chevayea »

First impression - It is a sweet looking set-up, very professional looking for a point and shoot. The housing comes with a rubber shield to block sunlight (optional if you want it on or not), and the flash diffuser is an optional attachment that comes with the housing.

I am impressed with the huge 3" display. The controls are easy enough to use with gloves but the dial to switch between video, manual, or auto modes was a little tricky with the gloves my first time out. I was able to do it but it took me a little bit, should get better with some practice. Actually setting up the camera settings is very user friendly and the display icons are obvious.

There is a trigger lever that made it VERY sensitive when shooting and would fire with the slightest bump to the lever. This made it a bit delicate when trying to get the auto focus to center on the subject by holding the trigger half way, half was wasn't easy to do. By the end of the dive I got the hang of it but I'm taking off the trigger and just using the button for my next dives and I'll let you know how it goes. The trigger is easily removable.

So, try to overlook my meager photography skills and browse some of the photos below.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

First Dive was at Redondo. in the evening so it was dark by the time we hit the bottom. All pictures here are taken with the camera straight out of the box, Flash on, Manual mode (P-Mode), Macro Mode.

Got lucky enough to spot a Silver Spotted Sculpin for my camera's very first fish photo!
Silver Spotted Sculpin
Silver Spotted Sculpin
Silver Spotted Sculpin
Silver Spotted Sculpin
Noticed right away that the diffuser is AWESOME! Good lighting fill considering this is only the camera's built in flash. The diffuser works great. However, I am use to lighting up the subject with my dive light and it was causing some hot-spots so I had to stop spotlighting the photos. Here are a few more critters we saw. All of these photos are unedited other than downsizing for the web
Coon-stripe Shrimp
Coon-stripe Shrimp
Cockscomb
Cockscomb
Cod
Cod
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Next dive was at Three Tree North:

I left al the settings the same as above so this is the camera straight out of the box with Macro on, flash on, and in the P mode (most manual setting).

Here is a shot of a nudibranch and then a cropped version so you can see what kind of quality I'm getting from the camera so far:
Nudibranch
Nudibranch
Nudibranch close-up
Nudibranch close-up
Here are some other shots I got while at three tree last tonight:
Anemone.jpg
Striped-Nudibranch.jpg
Red-Irish-Lord.jpg
Ruby-Octo.jpg
For tomorrow's dives I'm going to turn down the flash intensity and see if that will eliminate some of the overexposure. I'll also get closer to some of the critters and see if I can pick up some more detail like scales or skin textures. Stay tuned!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice start, Looks like you found the same silver spotted that I found. Or at least the color and markings look the same.

Woo hoo! new stuff. :bounceline:
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Terrific review and shots! =D> I will definitely consider this setup when I decide to upgrade my current camera.
Life is good, let's dive!!
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

OK, I love this setup and the results. However, I'm not a MemoryStick fan, to put it lightly.

Is there any chance at all I could get a sample movie from you? Even 2 seconds would tell me alot about this camera? It doesn't even have to be underwater.

Does it record RAW or jpg (or both)? Can I get a sample image from you full size - could be of anything.

These can be put in my public dropbox;
http://dropbox.yousendit.com/Mumbian

If this camera can indeed produce the media I need, then I might be willing to eat it and buy MemorySticks and readers...

Better yet, wanna go diving?
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

edm81363 wrote:OK, I love this setup and the results. However, I'm not a MemoryStick fan, to put it lightly.

Is there any chance at all I could get a sample movie from you? Even 2 seconds would tell me alot about this camera? It doesn't even have to be underwater.

Does it record RAW or jpg (or both)? Can I get a sample image from you full size - could be of anything.

These can be put in my public dropbox;
http://dropbox.yousendit.com/Mumbian

If this camera can indeed produce the media I need, then I might be willing to eat it and buy MemorySticks and readers...

Better yet, wanna go diving?
Sure thing, I'm running out the door right now so I'll get all those posted tonight or tomorrow morning.
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

Wow - that's AWESOME - thanks so very much!
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Yesterday at Shilshoal Bay Horizontal Barge: http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=186

Again, just like the previous settings but I turned down the intensity on the flash. It seemed to prevent washing the images out. I have not resized these ones so click on them to see the image full size (you may have to click on them again in the next screen to see them actually full sized. they are huge. I was about 2' away from them.
Alabaster Nudibranch
Alabaster Nudibranch
Sea Lemon
Sea Lemon
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Shilshoal Vertical Barge: http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=187
Red Gilled Nudibranch
Red Gilled Nudibranch
Zoanthinds
Zoanthinds
Decorated Warbonnet
Decorated Warbonnet
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

New photos taken on 4/18/09 on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Caissons (a really cool dive by the way!). I have left these full size so you can click to see the actual resolution. They're pretty big though...
Mature Male Scaly Head Sculpin
Mature Male Scaly Head Sculpin
Decorated Warbonnet
Decorated Warbonnet
Diver on the Caissons
Diver on the Caissons
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Also taken on 4/18/09 on the Tacoma Narrows West Side Drift Dive - This site is a contender for the coolest site in the puget sound!
Painted Anemone on Tacoma Narrows Reef
Painted Anemone on Tacoma Narrows Reef
Frosted Nudibranch
Frosted Nudibranch
kylehebert
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by kylehebert »

Hi there,
Great review and post!
Have you ever tried the underwater modes on the camera? They are supposed to correct blue hue levels at depth...
Thanks and keep the pics coming!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

kylehebert wrote:Hi there,
Great review and post!
Have you ever tried the underwater modes on the camera? They are supposed to correct blue hue levels at depth...
Thanks and keep the pics coming!
The uw settings don't make a difference in our green water. I've taken the same pic in uw and in program and you can't tell them apart.
Last edited by cardiver on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Underwater settings on all point and shoot cameras are set to comp for the blue water of the tropics. They do not work with green water.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

I tried them but didn't notice much difference, plus I prefer to use the "Program" mode so I can control the macro and flash settings.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Dusty2 wrote:Underwater settings on all point and shoot cameras are set to comp for the blue water of the tropics. They do not work with green water.
wished i would have known this before....i have been shooting in underwater mode the entire time :banghead:
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Here's the settings that I usually set in the Program mode:
  • I set my macro usually on auto.
  • I set the focus to the multi-auto focus
  • I also moved my flash to the minus position "-". It keeps macro shots from getting blown out.
  • I turned off "Face Detection"
  • Turn off red eye reduction
  • I set the "Steady Shot to the first position where it is on while the button is half way depressed (saves battery life)
    and I either shoot in normal color mode if I plan to dive shallow or in vivid color mode if the dive is going to be deeper. Just pick one for the day and see how you like the photos.
Hope that helps you a bit.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Here are a few recent pictures that I have taken with the above settings (in "Vivid" color mode). I have scaled these ones down for email but they were shot at 12mp, huge files and nice photos.
Frosted Nudibranch
Frosted Nudibranch
Red Irish Lord (a young one)
Red Irish Lord (a young one)
Moon Snail
Moon Snail
Frosted Nudibranch
Frosted Nudibranch
BTW - i don't use my dive light to directly illuminate the subject - it results in a washed out photo. Light it up indirectly if you must or light it up long enough for the focus to adjust (by holding the shutter button half way down) then move the light.
kylehebert
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by kylehebert »

Nice pictures!
How does this camera fair above water? I've read some mixed reviews about photo quality.
Thanks
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

kylehebert wrote:Nice pictures!
How does this camera fair above water? I've read some mixed reviews about photo quality.
Thanks
Well, actually I love it. I work in media and many times the best of our photos that make it into the paper and magazines are the ones I shoot with my sony as opposed to our "pro-grade" cameras. We have 3 of them and really like the quality. the video comes out well too.