Just making sure I'm "normal"

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Just making sure I'm "normal"

Post by ktb »

I'm new to UW photography, so I'm just wondering . . . please tell me I'm not the only newbie that takes a TON of pics during a dive only to discover that maybe 1-3 turn out the way I want. However, the ones that do turn out seem to be pretty good. Now if I could just remember *exactly* what I did to get them . . . and I haven't even started trying to frame the shot in an interesting way so they aren't all landscape and such. Sigh.

So here's a couple from the past 2 days. The first two I didn't do a thing to fiddle with the color.
PC190043.JPG
PC190011.JPG
This one I tried to fiddle with the color a tad.
PC200025--some coloring.JPG
Thoughts? Comments? Any feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by ktb on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Just making sure I'm "normal"

Post by Tom Nic »

Normal? Hmmm....

As with quite a few other divers on the board I subsribe to the "take a bazillion pics, throw them up against the wall, and the odds are that a couple will turn out."

One of the good things about doing that is that you begin to go from "yuck, that's a crappy picture", to "Yuck, that's a crappy picture, here's why it didn't turn out, and this is how I might change the shot in the future to make it better".

In the meantime, you aren't normal. Your x-ray eyes allow you to see the pics in this thread, and I can't see them!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Tom Nic wrote:In the meantime, you aren't normal. Your x-ray eyes allow you to see the pics in this thread, and I can't see them!
I know, I know. I hit submit when I meant to add the files. Sorry--they are there now. #-o
Kelly
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I also takes a billion pictures but I'm getting to the point where I only take 4 per subject. When I buy another strobe I will prob go back to taking 15 pictures of one subject because my experience level is zero in a dual strobe
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Your normal .. If I shoot 15 pics only 3 will turn out .. Taking Underwater pictures is a very slow learning Curve..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Nice try, using a photography question for validation, but you are NOT normal. Good couple of pics though.

D(B)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Never have taken a picture underwater; that will come next month when I go to Hawaii. But, on the surface I even got paid once in awhile for my images (helped pay for the hobby). In an uncontrolled environment like wildlife or sports photography it was not unusual to shoot a 36 exposure roll to get 2 or 3 good images. Now in a studio it was pretty much 1 for 1. That was pretty much the norm for most everyone I knew.

So, I think you may be ahead of the curve. Besides, in the digital age who cares how many images you shoot as long as you get what you want and don't run out of battery?

Edited: Oops, guess I took the question seriously. I'll defer to someone who knows you better :biggrin:
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

someone famous along time ago said 'your first 10,000 pictures don't count' so you have time to get a good one
the first three are nice :thumb3d:
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

My regular dive buddy has a great quote-- 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile!'

But my take on it is this-- closer is always better!
Dan Hershman :smt024
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

No you aren't normal. No one that dives is.

However, as to the amount of pictures you take; I took over 100 shots tonight and these are the ones I thought were ok.
IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1910.jpg
IMG_1906.jpg
IMG_1890.jpg
IMG_1886.jpg
IMG_1835.jpg
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Thank you everyone! It's nice to know that it's a big club with free membership . . . so to speak.

And Defied, I may not be normal, but since you're my friend, what does that say about you?!?
Kelly
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

ktb wrote:Thank you everyone! It's nice to know that it's a big club with free membership . . . so to speak.

And Defied, I may not be normal, but since you're my friend, what does that say about you?!?
Friend....Zookeeper....same thing....

D(B)
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

defied wrote:
ktb wrote:Thank you everyone! It's nice to know that it's a big club with free membership . . . so to speak.

Friend....Zookeeper....same thing....

D(B)
:lalala:
Kelly
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

YOU ARE NOT NORMAL!! :bootyshake:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

None of us are normal!!! Normal people don't go swimming in 45 deg. water to take pictures of fishies! :neener: :neener:

With practice the keepers will increase and the deletes will decrease. However I still take at least a half dozen pics of anything I find interesting. Even if all 6 are OK you wasted nothing but bubbles.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

[quote="Dusty2"]None of us are normal!!! Normal people don't go swimming in 45 deg. water to take pictures of fishies! :neener: :neener: [quote]

So true, so true . . .
Kelly
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ktb wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:None of us are normal!!! Normal people don't go swimming in 45 deg. water to take pictures of fishies! :neener: :neener:

So true, so true . . .
i third that! I was thinking the same thing when we were diving ttn and it was 22 degrees outside and 45 in the water
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

BTW, when you take 6 pictures of the same thing, think about what you might want to change after pic 2 or 3 -- strobe position, aperture, camera position, zoom (in or out) -- in other words, "bracket" the shot so you won't be "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

Thank goodness for digital cameras and large storage chips! 36 (or 38) images with a Nikonos made it much harder to learn and get "the" shot.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

What's funny is now I look back on the photos I took 9 years ago (that I thought at the time had turned out good!) and think, "Ewwww yuck!!"

Your skills will only get better with practice - and as Dan says, Closer is Better!

Start with shooting far enough away that you don't scare the fish, then gradually move in, shoot, move in some more, shoot another, move in closer...etc.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

There are 2 competing trends here....

When you first start shooting, you're lucky to get 1 in 10 that are keepers. When you're an advanced amateur, you may only get 1 in 50 that are keepers (in my experience). The difference is in the details -- at first, any image that is properly exposed and in focus is a keeper, while later on an image must "pop" to be worthwhile. All the while you're getting better at framing the subject, filling the frame, and predicting the exposure of the shot, so while you may have equal or less numbers of truly "keeper" images, those images will be of much higher quality. of course, this is my humble opinion.

FWIW, I consider myself a serious amateur, and if I get 1 truly good shot a dive, I'm satisfied :)
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

lundysd wrote:There are 2 competing trends here....

When you first start shooting, you're lucky to get 1 in 10 that are keepers. When you're an advanced amateur, you may only get 1 in 50 that are keepers (in my experience). The difference is in the details -- at first, any image that is properly exposed and in focus is a keeper, while later on an image must "pop" to be worthwhile. All the while you're getting better at framing the subject, filling the frame, and predicting the exposure of the shot, so while you may have equal or less numbers of truly "keeper" images, those images will be of much higher quality. of course, this is my humble opinion.

FWIW, I consider myself a serious amateur, and if I get 1 truly good shot a dive, I'm satisfied :)
if im in a place where i cant take my time (boat diving) then i get maybe one really good pic out of 50 or 75ish but if i shore dive i have more time to slow down for the shot thats when i get around 5 to 10 great pics (macro not wide angle)

so just take your time guys (thats my trouble)
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

Youre normal. Just shoot as much as you can. I have taken over 33,000 underwater images over my life.. and feel that I only have about 100 that I really, really like. Guess I'm too much too picky.
Greg
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Greg »

ktb wrote:I'm new to UW photography, so I'm just wondering . . . please tell me I'm not the only newbie that takes a TON of pics during a dive only to discover that maybe 1-3 turn out the way I want. However, the ones that do turn out seem to be pretty good. Now if I could just remember *exactly* what I did to get them . . . and I haven't even started trying to frame the shot in an interesting way so they aren't all landscape and such. Sigh.

So here's a couple from the past 2 days. The first two I didn't do a thing to fiddle with the color.
PC190043.JPG
PC190011.JPG
This one I tried to fiddle with the color a tad.
PC200025--some coloring.JPG
Thoughts? Comments? Any feedback is appreciated.
Back in the bad old days of film cameras if you were shooting a 36 frame roll and one or two photos came out in your underwater pics you were doing pretty damn good. From what I have seen in your photos it looks like you are on the right track. My recommendation is to read as much on photography as well as U/W photography as you can not too mention take a course or two. Also, take a look at what the pros are doing. People to watch would Barb Roy, David Doubilet, and Cathy Church. Check out and see how they are composing their shots and try to use that when you are composing your shots. Finally, don't be afraid to experiment.
I hope this helps
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Thanks everyone! It does seem to be a numbers game, so I plan to keep taking as many as possible. :)
Kelly
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Greg wrote:take a look at what the pros are doing. People to watch would Barb Roy, David Doubilet, and Cathy Church. Check out and see how they are composing their shots and try to use that when you are composing your shots.
And...Greg Amptman
Yeah, go ahead and "google" Greg Amptman", You'll be busy for hours! :supz: :notworthy:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: