This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Avatar at the IMAX in 3D

Post by airsix »

Absolutely see this movie in 3D. You will not believe the increased ability it gives you to track complex action sequences. Things happen quickly and unlike most contemporary film action scenes it's not a blur of flailing limbs and rapid cuts that imply action without clearly showing what is happening. In this film you will not be cheated. The action is shot so that you actually see what is happening in rich intricate detail. An unprecedented effort went into everything from sweat glands to the movement of aircraft control surfaces. It may not be the greatest film ever, but it was the most fun I've had at the movies in years. Ill be watching it for years just studying the details.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I have never enjoyed watching a 3D movie because of the annoying glasses you need to wear that always seem uncomfortable and too small...especially when you need to wear eyeglasses just to see anyway! Watching a 3D movie without the special glasses brings with it a series of irritating "visual effects" that bother the heck out of me. So.....enlighten me....if you wear eyeglasses, as I do, how do you comfortably position the 3D glasses? Does IMAX have special 3D glasses for folks in my situation - ie, big head and eyeglasses?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I don't know if they have special ones, but the glasses are BIG.

I had never watched a 3D movie before, and for the first few minutes, my eyes felt really weird and I thought I'd have a headache by the end. But after just a short time, they adjusted, and I got so absorbed in the movie I didn't care. And when the ashes drifted down ON me, it was simply unreal.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:I have never enjoyed watching a 3D movie because of the annoying glasses you need to wear that always seem uncomfortable and too small...especially when you need to wear eyeglasses just to see anyway! Watching a 3D movie without the special glasses brings with it a series of irritating "visual effects" that bother the heck out of me. So.....enlighten me....if you wear eyeglasses, as I do, how do you comfortably position the 3D glasses? Does IMAX have special 3D glasses for folks in my situation - ie, big head and eyeglasses?

- John

3-D has come a loooooong way since "The Creature From The Black Lagoon", with the red-and-blue glasses. The new ones aren't red and blue, for starters- and they work over your glasses.

Of course, since yoor hed is the saaaayze uv Spootnik, an looooks laahk an Ourange sitin' on a Touthpick, I will make no guarantees.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

John Rawlings wrote:I have never enjoyed watching a 3D movie because of the annoying glasses you need to wear that always seem uncomfortable and too small...especially when you need to wear eyeglasses just to see anyway! Watching a 3D movie without the special glasses brings with it a series of irritating "visual effects" that bother the heck out of me. So.....enlighten me....if you wear eyeglasses, as I do, how do you comfortably position the 3D glasses? Does IMAX have special 3D glasses for folks in my situation - ie, big head and eyeglasses?

- John
A couple of my coworkers wear large glasses. The only one to complain had bifocals. Everyone else said the imax glasses fit over theirs just fine.

D(B)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Joshua Smith wrote: Of course, since yoor hed is the saaaayze uv Spootnik, an looooks laahk an Ourange sitin' on a Touthpick, I will make no guarantees.
And that will be quite enough out of you, "forehead man"! :bootyshake:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

John Rawlings wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: Of course, since yoor hed is the saaaayze uv Spootnik, an looooks laahk an Ourange sitin' on a Touthpick, I will make no guarantees.
And that will be quite enough out of you, "forehead man"! :bootyshake:
That would be a "fivehead", John......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

John,
You will probably be able to wear the IMAX glasses over your prescription glasses.
If it were me I'd bring some duct tape or less-messy vinyl electrical tape. I'm serious. Just in case things don't want to sit right I wouldn't hesitate to tape the bridges and temples together so things don't slide around and distract/annoy you. DWW.

Sorry if I geek out for a second here...
There are 3 different 3D formats in use right now and you can see Avatar in any of them: IMAX 3D, RealD, and Dolby 3D. The IMAX glasses are huge. The RealD glasses are smaller (like oversized wayfarers) but you might still be able to get your glasses behind them. Dolby 3D glasses are wrap-around frame with bubble lenses that have a shiny metallic coating. Your glasses would have to be pretty small to fit under them. So if you have glasses I think IMAX would be best followed by RealD and finally Dolby 3D. None of the formats is clearly better than the others. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. (I saw this movie in Dolby 3D because I don't have IMAX nearby).

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Thanks, Ben! That's some good advice! I really want to see this movie in 3D, but I didn't want to be irritated and pissed off the entire time. I mean, if I wanted to do that I might as well go dive with Josh! :smt064

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Last thing... I promise.

IMAX 3D uses linear polarization, so you have to hold your head right or the image goes wonky (Joe can explain 'wonky eye'). The other two formats use circular polarization which allows you to move your head around and still get a good 3D image. The IMAX 3d format works fine, you just have to tune the angle of your head to get the best picture.

-Ben
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BIG head. Glasses. Bi-focals.

Everything worked just fine.

I think the technology has caught up with you JR!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Holy crap. I just watched it at the IMAX. Stunning. This one is a game-changer.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

airsix wrote:Last thing... I promise.

IMAX 3D uses linear polarization, so you have to hold your head right or the image goes wonky (Joe can explain 'wonky eye'). The other two formats use circular polarization which allows you to move your head around and still get a good 3D image. The IMAX 3d format works fine, you just have to tune the angle of your head to get the best picture.

-Ben
Nerd.

>0]

D(B)
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Joshua Smith wrote:Holy crap. I just watched it at the IMAX. Stunning. This one is a game-changer.
Absolutely! I can't remember tha last time a theater was *that* quiet during the entire movie and everyone clapped at the end. Wow.

Thank you James Cameron, my movie hero.
Kelly
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

ktb wrote:
defied wrote: And whoda thunk CG Blue tall alien chicks could be hot!? Help with the voice of Zoe Saldana, and one could almost enter a constant state of drooling and convulsions.

D(B)
OMG, this is *such* a guy review . . .
Yeah, but he's right...
Joshua Smith wrote:Holy crap. I just watched it at the IMAX. Stunning. This one is a game-changer.
I'm with you on that. I saw it at the Regal Cinemas at the Renton Landing. I'm going again to see it on the IMAX screen.

...and I'm more than a little disturbed to be looking forward to "Pirhana 3D."
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I asked this chick that lives with me out on a date this Saturday to see Imax in Bellevue. She said yes so looks like its a date!!! She looks at me funny sometimes so I think she likes me. Someone told me she only said yes cause we are married, well I told them to quit melting my ice cream and be a little more optimistic!

Cant wait to see it, so far noone has anything bad to say!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

So every damn show at the IMAX appears to be SOLD OUT!

How did you folks manage to get tickets?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Just wait a couple of weeks, Bob....the techno-geeks and nerds will be off involved in the next "greatest thing ever" and the rest of us will be able to watch it.... :smt064

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Google Bellevue IMAX
If you shoot out a couple days you will find tickets..Saturday is wide open
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sweet! Thanks ... I didn't even know there was an IMAX in Bellevue.

I got tix for the 6:30 show on New Year's Eve ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

OK dont be coming on here and giving anything up now!!!!!

Looks like a great movie!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It is an awesome movie! Even in digital 3D on a conventional screen the effects just blow you away.

I'm so glad James Cameron isn't one of those "it has to be under 2 hrs or no one will come" people.

When you have an outstanding movie like this it would be a crime to try to cut it down to 90 min.

Lets see..... put the star trek movie in 3D and the last Harry Potter... Oh yeah! Sign me up!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The 3D effects were great ... I found myself ducking a coupla times ... :thumb3d:

The movie itself was pretty predictable (but still good) ... "Dances with Wolves" with big, blue indians ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Grateful Diver wrote:"Dances with Wolves" with big, blue indians ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Technically speaking they are space indian smurf cats (credit to my Bro in law).
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

airsix wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:"Dances with Wolves" with big, blue indians ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Technically speaking they are space indian smurf cats (credit to my Bro in law).
Still pretty cool ... I will definitely be adding the DVD to my collection when it becomes available. Wonder if it will come with 3D glasses ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)