Warm water photography

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Warm water photography

Post by Scubie Doo »

I am heading the West Palm Beach Florida in a couple weeks for business. I am squeezing a day of diving in. Do I need to make any camera adjustments or do I need any filters to shoot in blue tropical waters? I have only shot in our dark green waters :biggrin:

I am shooting most shots in Manual Mode - F8 (ISO 80 to 200) - Shutter 1/125 - Single Strobe.

Thanks for your help!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Warm water photography

Post by Dusty2 »

If your using a Canon you can just switch to underwater mode or if you want to stay in manual mode you can play with the white balance. A red filter is supposed to help but I have never had the opportunity to try one in warm water.

If you have a rental car I would suggest you make the run down to Key largo. Much better reefs there.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Filters are really only useful if you are doing natural light photography. If you are using a flash then you don't need a filter.

If you are using a P&S camera and plan to shoot wide angle scenes a filter may be nice to have however.
Dave
elemar
Just Settling In

Post by elemar »

The only thing that really caught me when I first did warm water photography is that I discovered I'd often been lazy and used too slow of a shutter speed in cold water (ie, basically ignored it). If you're using a strobe and there isn't much ambient light, it doesn't matter (the strobe is faster than the shutter), but a lot of my palau shots had a nice colorful and sharp fish, with a blue blurry fish just in front of it due to the higher ambient light and the overly long shutter speed.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Scubie Doo wrote:I am heading the West Palm Beach Florida in a couple weeks for business. I am squeezing a day of diving in. Do I need to make any camera adjustments or do I need any filters to shoot in blue tropical waters? I have only shot in our dark green waters :biggrin:

I am shooting most shots in Manual Mode - F8 (ISO 80 to 200) - Shutter 1/125 - Single Strobe.

Thanks for your help!
just use the same camera techniques that you use here. No filters, no 'underwater mode', just use your strobe/flash like you normally do. Then sit back and admire the color!
Dan Hershman :smt024
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I will post a couple photos once I return.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Just got back from West Palm Beach. Here are a couple of my favorite shots from my 2 dives. Thanks again for the advice!
Attachments
L13.jpg
P11.jpg
L9.jpg
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Scubie Doo wrote:Just got back from West Palm Beach. Here are a couple of my favorite shots from my 2 dives. Thanks again for the advice!
I love Flamingo Tounges! Great photos!
Dan Hershman :smt024