the LONG step up at Les Davis

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

the LONG step up at Les Davis

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Has been fixed! That bottom step at the stairs was a bit of a jump to climb up after a long dive. A bunch of us cleaned up the entry way today and fixed the step so it is a lot easier to climb up and down. Thanks to those who came and helped get the park ready for diving this summer! =D>
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: the LONG step up at Les Davis

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow Thanks guys. Now if someone would just do the @#$% one at Redondo :angry:
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Awesome!! =D> =D> =D> Thanks Amy!!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Maybe we should try to put together a work party to work on Redondo? There are certainly enough rocks near the step to create a step down. It shouldn't be too difficult if done at low tide. I'd be willing to come and help.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

RIGHT ON, Pinkpadigal! You, et al, ROCK!

Ditto to what LCF said!

I would be delighted to help make the Redondo exit climbing wall a little more Dive-Gear Ensconced friendly.

Kat can help carry the rocks to the steps.
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

expert rock picker upper at your service. we just have to be sure to leave a few laying around for me to find at the end of a dive. :neener:
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

kat wrote:expert rock picker upper at your service. we just have to be sure to leave a few laying around for me to find at the end of a dive. :neener:
Ugh, my shins are like rock dowsing rods at Redondo. They're remarkably good at finding them.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I was looking at that last weekend but those rocks didn't look like one person rocks. At least the ones that would have been big enough to work.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

OK now all of those without a sense of humor this post may contain some disturbing words and images please read at your own risk. OH AND IF YOU DONT HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR PLEASE CLOSE THIS MESSAGE NOW.

Boy I tell you that you :rawlings: are gonna be asking for a handicap accessible ramp or something :neener:
Jeff Castor
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Boy I tell you that you :rawlings: are gonna be asking for a handicap accessible ramp or something :neener:
You know what the greatest thing about obnoxious young people is? If you wait around long enough, you get to watch them eat their words . . . :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We had a really good crew out there yesterday; not only did we move the worst of the rocks out of the path to the water and build up a step below the bottom one, we took some steps to prevent most of the erosion that could undo our work. It was back-breaking work, hot, a couple of us got our fingers sliced up and there were some other small injuries, and it was the most fun I've had out of the water in a very long time.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

YAY! For Dave and crew! I love this site. So many good people even if they don't like to admit it.

Now about that ramp for us old folks.... and maybe a valet service when the tides out??? :rawlings: :rawlings: :rawlings:
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Now that I'm 40, I bought a small dolly to carry my gear for the long haul like Cove 2.

I'm OLD!!!

:tomatoe:

Okay okay. That SHOULD say "lazy"

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What did you guys do to avert the erosion? It might be an important thing for us to know, if we decide to tackle the Redondo step.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

uh, what big step at Redondo? Never noticed.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well as for that step and Redondo the side that has the rail to hold onto, is also the side that has some what looks to be pretty good sized rocks.Now this is just my personal opinion and maybe have to take a look at Les Davis to see, but putting a base of river rock or drain rock would give I think the best support for what ever is put in. Anything metal or wood would eventually deteriorate over time.Either cinder blocks or some kind of cement block would last. For me it is also about not putting anything that would be harmful to the sealife.Also do you have to ask permission before doing something like this? Looking at those rocks at the left bottom step today, they look to be some pretty good sized back breaking type rocks. I am wondering if it would be better to think of a way to just bury them under what we think of to put there.Cinder blocks cost $1.39 each and would be a low cost thing. Just some thoughts to ponder.

JEFF
Jeff Castor
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Oh, that step. I'm vertically challenged in the never talked about way (tall) so I never paid mind to it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, if you're my size and diving doubles, that first step up is a dilly . . .
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Jenbowes wrote:Now that I'm 40, I bought a small dolly to carry my gear for the long haul like Cove 2.

I'm OLD!!!

OLD!????? 40??? your not officially old till uncle sam sez you are. AKA over 60? Your just a young whippersnapper.

:neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Dusty2 wrote:
Jenbowes wrote:Now that I'm 40, I bought a small dolly to carry my gear for the long haul like Cove 2.

I'm OLD!!!

OLD!????? 40??? your not officially old till uncle sam sez you are. AKA over 60? Your just a young whippersnapper.

:neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:
I may not BE old, but I play one on t.v.

Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

LCF, dilly? I've heard doozy but never dilly. Also its only a "dilly" because you've been genetically blessed to be of normal stature.
I will refrain from further comment on this step issue until I use them wearing doubles.
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Mongodives wrote:LCF, dilly? I've heard doozy but never dilly. Also its only a "dilly" because you've been genetically blessed to be of normal stature.
I will refrain from further comment on this step issue until I use them wearing doubles.
From Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry: dil·ly
Pronunciation: \ˈdi-lē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural dillies
Etymology: obsolete dilly, adjective, delightful, perhaps by shortening & alteration from delightful
Date: 1935

: one that is remarkable or outstanding <had a dilly of a storm> <for a practical joke, that was a dilly>

I anticipate she meant the latter, although I think SHE is the former.

And, btw, have you met LCF? She is wee! Not ABNORMALLY wee, but possibly the height Yin to your Yang.

She is a tiny, lovely, perfect diving Goddess!

Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Yes, I've met her. I'm big, so a large number of people are smaller/shorter and I really don't pay attention to their size unless they are bigger/taller than myself. I'm a bigot that way.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

think I need to clarify, I notice and remember people larger than myself. I assume people who are of a shorter than normal stature notice and remember people that they identify as shorter also since the vast majority are bigger/taller.
If I offend its purely on accident,I'm just not well refined.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

thats ok, you don't look refined so we won't hold you to it :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...