Spatman's Manta Experience

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Spatman's Manta Experience

Post by Sockmonkey »

No time for a real report... but this short video of Spatman waving is for Calvin who thinks mantas are stupid.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/10486452[/vimeo]
Last edited by Sockmonkey on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Manta Dive

Post by LCF »

I'm envious!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

NICE!!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sockmonkey wrote:No time for a real report... but this short video of Spatman waving is for Calvin who thinks mantas are stupid.

?Inside joke? I've heard Calvin rave about this dive before?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Very sweet , love the Blue shimmer from the lights as they swim bye ... Epic
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

LCF, you have the coupon to go again don't you? They didn't give me one.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yes, I think the coupon is good for a whole six months . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I don't think mantas are lame, I think they're delicious.... :burntchef:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Is this dive a boat dive or a shore dive? Can we make the reservation now for April 17th?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

scottsax wrote:Is this dive a boat dive or a shore dive? Can we make the reservation now for April 17th?
I prefer to go on a Friday, Sunday or Monday because the main manta man works those nights.

But it's a boat dive typically. About $150 for divers. $95 for snorkelers.

I haven't done it yet but you can shore dive one of the spots when it is very very very calm.

In spite of the yelling at I got on scubabored... it really is the only reason to come and dive here... outside of importing a dive buddy for me of course.

-Eric

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sockmonkey wrote:In spite of the yelling at I got on scubabored... it really is the only reason to come and dive here... outside of importing a dive buddy for me of course.

-Eric
Naturally... What yelling at? I looked but couldn't find it...

2 1/2 weeks and counting!!! Looking forward to diving with you!
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

dream dive
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

It really is a great dive. I hate "canned" dives, and agreed to go on this for my dive buddy. It was really great! Dove with Jack's Dive Locker, with Keller Laros. Here is a pic I took:
Mantas.jpg
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Gdog wrote:It really is a great dive. I hate "canned" dives, and agreed to go on this for my dive buddy. It was really great! Dove with Jack's Dive Locker, with Keller Laros. Here is a pic I took:
Mantas.jpg

Nice shot!!!! =D> I did my Discover Scuba dive with Jacks for my 50th B-day and heard great things about their Manta dive!!
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That's an amazing photo, Gdog!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thanks all. It represents about 30 shots to get the one, fighting the rolling surge, holding on to a large bolder for dear life, but it was worth it!!!!!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i have a lot of video from that dive i need to edit. i hope to have something for you to check out this weekend.

scott, if the manta report is good, don't miss this dive.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:i have a lot of video from that dive i need to edit. i hope to have something for you to check out this weekend.

Who did you guys go with? It looks like we're going to try to book it for 4/17. Sockmonkey, I got your ticket if'n you wanna go!

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:
spatman wrote:i have a lot of video from that dive i need to edit. i hope to have something for you to check out this weekend.

Who did you guys go with? It looks like we're going to try to book it for 4/17. Sockmonkey, I got your ticket if'n you wanna go!
jack's dive locker. eric can hook you up with the deets.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote:
scottsax wrote:

jack's dive locker. eric can hook you up with the deets.
Yeah we went with Jack's Diving Locker because my wife and I are friends with Keller (and she's on the board of the Manta Pacific Research Foundation). He's not working that night but I would prefer to give Jack's the business. Plus I know a couple of the other guys that work there.

I wrote more about this dive in this thread.

And if there are mantas around that week... I'll totally go with you. Give them a call to make the res soon if you've got a big group. If the group is big enough they'll spin up another boat for you for a private charter I think. If so... ask for Shep as your DM.

Some of my manta video and reports here and here. Stills here.

At some point I'll edit up the video from me and Spatty's manta dive.

-Eric

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: Spatman's Manta Experience

Post by Sockmonkey »

Wow it was sorta fun to change the subject line of this thread... I bet that really f's with the hardcore reload button addicts.

I figured I might as well post some of the photos from this dive in lieu of editing video. Pardon my learning how to white balance.

The standard routine on this dive is an afternoon/dusk dive, a long SI with sandwiches and cookies, and then the manta dive itself. I've never gone on the first dive with a guide before. Typically my buddy Eli and I just go off and do our own thing looking for mantas in the blue. The dive spot is a wicked boring reef fo sho. They did offer for us to go swim on our own but I figured what the hell why not check out what Keller has to offer. Zzzzzzzz. There were two other divers in our group.

Keller writing on his stroky slate "Swim horizontally" to one of the other divers (not Spatman surprisingly):

Who knows what's going on here... but the kneeling and the pig pen dust trail are pretty funny:

The garden eels at.. wait for it... Garden Eel Cove:

Someday I'm going to take a video camera... weight it down and leave it in the sand so the eels are right up on the lens. Until then I'll have to watch them from afar. The garden eels are skittish.

Keller sells videos of the dive. He does this thing where he films you as if you're being eaten by the shark. The end result is pretty damn funny:

Spatty being eaten by a hand puppet shark:

I have a soft spot for goatfish for some reason... I don't know why:

Spatman:

Keller set up an urchin eating helmet shell for some fast paced live action feeding. Zzzzzz:

Ring ding:

Spatman smashing the ring. I bet he was one of those kids who popped balloons and made me cry as a little boy:

Spatman says: "I told you it was a flatworm" (divided flatworm to be exact):

What did the man say about swimming horizontally?

I didn't take any stills of the manta dive... they never come out anyways.

The whole set (good and bad) can be found here.

Man...I need to do some work today.

Aloha hard,

-Eric

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:Spatman smashing the ring. I bet he was one of those kids who popped balloons and made me cry as a little boy.
and as an adult, too.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sockmonkey wrote:Wow it was sorta fun to change the subject line of this thread... I bet that really f's with the hardcore reload button addicts.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

well, i finally managed to edit the manta footage down to less than 10 minutes. i pretty much just let the camera roll for the whole 50 minute dive, so there was a lot of shaky stuff to remove which left me with about 20 minutes of decent shots. which is pretty surprising since i mostly just held the camera up and pointed it in the general direction i was looking in.

anyway, you can see from all of the lights in the water that we started the dive with maybe 40-50 divers sitting on the bottom, and about the same number of snorkelers above. the effect was pretty surreal and reminded me of Close Encounters at times, with strange aliens floating overhead.

as time went on the crowd thinned, and the last 10 minutes or so it was just down to our small group which consisted of eric, keller, 2 other divers and myself. the mantas were all over us because of eric's HID and keller's video lights, and we could barely look up without seeing several mantas just above our heads. i think i spent more time ducking than pointing the camera up, but you can see the change at about 6:14 in the video. the yellow reg is eric.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/10664525[/vimeo]
Last edited by spatman on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typos
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Wow that's too cool. If I can ever manage to get my butt over there that dive's on my list for sure.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith