monkey weight

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

monkey weight

Post by Burntchef »

how much is everyone wearing when monkeying?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: monkey weight

Post by Joshua Smith »

Burntchef wrote:how much is everyone wearing when monkeying?

About the same as normal. You can drop a couple pounds, maybe. If you end up light, you can use the scoot to stay down.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

so back to the v-weight " attached" to the back plate again. :highfive:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Burntchef wrote:so back to the v-weight " attached" to the back plate again. :highfive:

I think we can do better than last time........
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

About 8lbs on the hips + the BP
bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

????
i wear an extra 6 pounds
over and above normal
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

bigsky wrote:????
i wear an extra 6 pounds
over and above normal
Whats normal? Isnt your bp thicker than most?
Last edited by Ken G on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Joshua Smith wrote:

About the same as normal. You can drop a couple pounds, maybe. If you end up light, you can use the scoot to stay down.
That works until your buddy's battery dies, then you try to tow him back in when he's waay underweighted and you have to use your scoot to hold you both down while inching in. Not that Lundy did that to me anything, just sayin :axe:

I add 6-8 lbs (my single tanks are heavy tanks) and attach them to the top of the bp so I have a bit of weight up top.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

well, since i dive regularly with steel dubs or the 'breather, it's hard to say "what i wear normally" ;)

but...

Old OMS backplate (5 or 6lbs) and two monkey weights that Ray helped me make that bolt right on. The monkey weights are approx 7lbs each.

if i'm doing anything where I'll want some buoyancy and pretend i'm a way cool sidemount diver (like say a boat dive or something) i just bolt a single wing right onto the backplate (use oral inflation) I didn't think it would work very well, but it's awesome and i have zero problem inflating/deflating, so that it looks 'better' i have a spare very light weight dogbone plate that i actually sandwich the wing together which holds it down to reduce any 'flapping' like i'm scootering with 'wings' ;) the bone allows for adequate inflation. If you try this with two backplates shim them a bit so that your wing has inflation room.

(edit: only one redbull this a.m. before writing)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BDub wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

That works until your buddy's battery dies, then you try to tow him back in when he's waay underweighted and you have to use your scoot to hold you both down while inching in. Not that Lundy did that to me anything, just sayin :axe:
Why would Lundy go to all that work??
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:
BDub wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Why would Lundy go to all that work??
He didn't. I was the tower, he was the towee....come to think of it, why did I go thru all that work?! Stupid Lundy!

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

note to self: if diving with lundy and his scoot dies, make him do the towing.... though since i have baby CUDA, he might start short-charging on purpose ;)
----
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Weight isn't nearly as important in monkeying as having a reliable buddy is.

FOR EXAMPLE -- borrowing a scooter from said buddy and then having it crap out at max distance because the battery didn't get fully charged. Of course, none of my buddies would ever pull a stunt like tha.... oh wait that was what BDub did!!!! :)

I'd add at least 6-8 lbs when monkeying -- 1-2lbs more than needed based upon tank weight differences alone
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

lundysd wrote:Weight isn't nearly as important in monkeying as having a reliable buddy is.
Now you're just cherry pickin....

lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

okay okay, I might have been a little light.... by about 6 lbs :). Normally I wouldn't care, but being light does really suck if you're being towed. Honestly I'd rather be a little heavy when monkeying -- your drysuit can hold a lot more buoyancy than you might think if you have a scooter to pull you
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

for towing i prefer a _little_ light (for sure not 6lbs light though) to heavy. I HATE towing a heavy diver... i mean seriously now, what do you wanna drag through the water, a bowling ball or a helium balloon ;)

so take note all you potential tow-ee's, don't forget to put air in your suit, and make your feet light. basically it SUCKS MEGA to tow you along with your fin tips in the propwash.

re: battery. Come on scott, beggers can't be choosers? not like he _meant_ to do it... ;) (not like i meant to do it to anyone i've accidentally short-charged either if any of you are reading - AND FWIW, some of those 'demo' batteries are OLD! you can't expect them to last an hour at top speed!!)

lundysd wrote:okay okay, I might have been a little light.... by about 6 lbs :). Normally I wouldn't care, but being light does really suck if you're being towed. Honestly I'd rather be a little heavy when monkeying -- your drysuit can hold a lot more buoyancy than you might think if you have a scooter to pull you
----
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

I wear 13 lbs plus my BP. Which means I add 6 lbs when I monkey (in saltwater) I have 7 lbs plus my BP in the lake. :eric:

Which reminds me, do you wanna pinball some shallow wrecks in the lake this weekend?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Romer Treece wrote: Which reminds me, do you wanna pinball some shallow wrecks in the lake this weekend?
I'd love to, but it will depend a lot on how well I manage to get my dive gear on the 'outside' edge of the boxes :) Thursday is the 'big' move day, so will have to play it by ear... After the 10th i'm ALL DONE with that tho, and DIVING WILL commence!!!!!!!!!
----