Mongo

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Hi,

Like most here, I am new to the board and to diving. I am having difficulty finding opportunites to dive. Being conservative with my life, I refuse to dive alone. However, finding people to dive with has not been easy. Most divers I know have the experience but lack the enthusiasm claiming "its too cold." Really? Either I'm extremely warm blooded or have a strong heart and a weak mind. Of course, I switched to drysuit diving after diving in the sleet and snow. It wasn't the water; it was freezing surface interval between dives that convinced me. Nonetheless, I really would like to dive more. I live in Puyallup and work on Camp Murray. Let me know!

Thanks,

Mongo
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Re: Mongo

Post by Jenbowes »

Welcome Mongo! You are in an excellent location for finding dive buddies, fun stories, and solicited and unsolicited advice. Woot woot!

I think there's a Tacoma group that meets weekly for diving and they've been delightfully welcoming to n00bies!

Hold on. I'm having a psychic vision...wait for it...

The dive planning section of the board will be an excellent resource for you.

Let it be so!
:clap:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Welcome to NWDC!!!! There's a BUNCH of South Sound divers around here that hit the water darn near every day of the week! Watch the forums and link up with em....although I suspect that they'll be popping onto your thread here to introduce themselves fairly soon!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Welcome to the group. Seems like there are a lot of divers at that end you should have no trouble finding someone.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

we got to go diving, anyone named Mongo is good to go in my book.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Thanks everone. I will be checking the board for dives.
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Welcome Mongo,
I live in North Portland (basically on the Columbia river) and travel to Hood Canal, South Puget Sound, and Anacortes (where we have a sailboat) on a regular basis. Keep an eye on the dive planning sub forums for others planning dive trips.

Is your wife interested in diving? My spouse got certified about a month after I did and we dive quite regularly, but I need to slow down though, she says I'm like a torpedo in the water and she gets tired before I do - at times :slap:

Jeff
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

jeffgerritsen wrote:Welcome Mongo,
I live in North Portland (basically on the Columbia river) and travel to Hood Canal, South Puget Sound, and Anacortes (where we have a sailboat) on a regular basis. Keep an eye on the dive planning sub forums for others planning dive trips.

Is your wife interested in diving? My spouse got certified about a month after I did and we dive quite regularly, but I need to slow down though, she says I'm like a torpedo in the water and she gets tired before I do - at times :slap:

Jeff

Household Six doesn't want anything to do with diving, which is really unfortunate.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Mongodives wrote:we got to go diving, anyone named Mongo is good to go in my book.

Mongo is actually a nickname given to me by someone who, in my opinion, is more "Mongo like" than me. Regardless, it makes me laugh and the people I work with like it so it stuck.
Last edited by Mongo on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Jenbowes wrote:Welcome Mongo! You are in an excellent location for finding dive buddies, fun stories, and solicited and unsolicited advice. Woot woot!

I think there's a Tacoma group that meets weekly for diving and they've been delightfully welcoming to n00bies!

Hold on. I'm having a psychic vision...wait for it...

The dive planning section of the board will be an excellent resource for you.

Let it be so!
:clap:
Nice! Crystal ball or are you naturally clairvoyant? :biggrin:
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Mongo,

You are ALWAYS welcome to join our Wednesday South Sound crew! We've typically been hitting either Les Davis or Redondo around 6 p.m. for a Hump Day, after-work, "just get wet" dive.

However, to really mess things up, we're doing 3TN on Tuesday next week because one of our usual crew is booked Wednesdays for the near future. So yeah, best to just watch the dive planning board . . . :)

But please--come out and dive!
Kelly
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Mongo wrote:
Mongodives wrote:we got to go diving, anyone named Mongo is good to go in my book.

Mongo is actually a nickname given to me by someone who, in my opinion, is more "Mongo like" than me. Regardless, it makes me laugh and the people I work with like it so it stuck.
Its quit fitting for him for sure. When you have to use tan converses as rock boots and strap on fins it is fitting. I still crack up anytime I see you in the water :angelblue: .
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
WaGlazier
Just Settling In

Post by WaGlazier »

Welcome Mongo

I too am new to diving. Open water certified in Feb. Have 7 dives in and would love to get more. I am warm blooded as well, still deciding wether to go dry or not. In the process of purchasing equipment, but have a great dive shop that gives me rentals between each major purchase. I am available most weekends and live in Tacoma....
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Mongo, nothing like a little military slang, "household six". I got the name Mongo from others as well, but it was due to the similarities I have with Alex Karras.

Greg, I'm glad my equipment choices amuse you, wait until this pair of chuck taylors fall apart I think I'm gonna look for some neon green or orange ones.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

WaGlazier wrote:Welcome Mongo

I too am new to diving. Open water certified in Feb. Have 7 dives in and would love to get more. I am warm blooded as well, still deciding wether to go dry or not. In the process of purchasing equipment, but have a great dive shop that gives me rentals between each major purchase. I am available most weekends and live in Tacoma....

Thanks for the welcome.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

ktb wrote:Mongo,

You are ALWAYS welcome to join our Wednesday South Sound crew! We've typically been hitting either Les Davis or Redondo around 6 p.m. for a Hump Day, after-work, "just get wet" dive.

However, to really mess things up, we're doing 3TN on Tuesday next week because one of our usual crew is booked Wednesdays for the near future. So yeah, best to just watch the dive planning board . . . :)

But please--come out and dive!

KTB,

Thanks for the invite. I don't think I'll make it this week or next (I will be taking the PADI rescue diver course) but in a couple of weeks I'll be open.