Computer back up

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Computer back up

Post by Tubesnout23 »

I looked at previous threads but I was not able to find what I was looking for so here I am .

I have a small watch as a back up, but I find it hard to read it. I also would like to get rid of my console with compass, pressure and depth gauge to replace it with a simple pressure gauge, a wrist compass and a wrist timer/depth gauge to use instead of the watch.

Can I find a timer/depth gauge that is cheaper than a computer or would I be better off buying a second computer?

Any suggestions of brands in particular that I could investigate that are reliable and not too expensive?

Thank you

Cheers
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Computer back up

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Uwatec makes/made bottom timers that are under $100 used. I have found a couple on CL.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Uwatec makes/made bottom timers that are under $100 used. I have found a couple on CL.
Just make sure that whoever you're buying it from hasn't left it in a soaking bucket draining the battery... you can't replace them on those things. I ended up buying one used from what I thought was a reliable source and it ended up keeling over after 25 dives or so... so I bought another one new... and I luff it.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I use an Uwatec bottom timer and like it for simplicity sake. It is easy to read and has yet to fail me. I have a Diverite Nitek Duo as well that is a good choice for a two gas computer as well as a bottom timer. Though I prefer the Uwatec.

I would look into the Hollis DG02 as well. Its a single gas nitrox computer as well as a bottom timer. Has a backlight too.
I don't have personal experience with it but for price and functionality it looks tough to beat.

http://www.hollisgear.com/prodview.asp?id=49
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

+1000 for the Uwatec Digital Depth Guage.... skip the used stuff buy it new.. when the battery dies you get a replacement for about 1/2 price... most people get 5 years out of them. I've been using mine for 6 and it's still working fine... (ok... i may have just jinxed myself...) and have seen some that expire around the 10 year mark

i did just look at that DG 02... off the cuff that looks like a nice idea... user replaceable batteries.. hmmmm
Thanks Ken
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11846

brand new, i havent looked but i am sure it can run in gage mode.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Ken G wrote:I use an Uwatec bottom timer and like it for simplicity sake. It is easy to read and has yet to fail me. I have a Diverite Nitek Duo as well that is a good choice for a two gas computer as well as a bottom timer. Though I prefer the Uwatec.

I would look into the Hollis DG02 as well. Its a single gas nitrox computer as well as a bottom timer. Has a backlight too.
I don't have personal experience with it but for price and functionality it looks tough to beat.

Did you look at the DG01? I didn't look closely at the NAV stuff, but it looks pretty good, too...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

scottsax wrote:
Ken G wrote:I use an Uwatec bottom timer and like it for simplicity sake. It is easy to read and has yet to fail me. I have a Diverite Nitek Duo as well that is a good choice for a two gas computer as well as a bottom timer. Though I prefer the Uwatec.

Did you look at the DG01? I didn't look closely at the NAV stuff, but it looks pretty good, too...
I did see the DG01 model. Not sure how much I would use the nav function. I would like to play with it though and see how it works.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I don't know how much I'd use it either, but it would be geeky fun to use the Chronometer feature, record some headings, program all that in there, and then see if you can find something you hid at a dive site earlier. Not to mention good navigation practice!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

I've got 3 Uwatec Aladin Sport (air only) computers with brand new batteries (I just put new batteries in them). They're a little beat up but they work fine. I use one as a depth gauge/bottom timer. Wrist mount version. $50/ea if you're interested.

Oh, and regarding the first post deal, I'm been a lurker for a while, and a few people on this board could vouch for me if needed.