TTN ... there's a new Mr. Angry in town ...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

TTN ... there's a new Mr. Angry in town ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Went to TTN yesterday morning. Hadn't been down there in a while, and there's a new resident living in the house next to the parking area .... a youngish couple who, it would seem, doesn't appreciate divers parking in front of their house.

When I got there, there were already two other diver vehicles parked there. I took the only remaining available parking spot ... because Mr. Angry had parked two of his vehicles crosswise such as to take up the remaining two-thirds of the parking lot. As we were gearing up he and his wife came out of the house, glared at us, and proceeded to back their nice, shiny red BMW roadster out of the garage.

I gathered from conversation with the other divers that he has had words with some divers for parking too close to his gate ... and this is his way of making a statement.

Sad ... we always had good relations with the neighbors down there. Figured y'all might want to be warned. Please be on good behavior and don't be confrontational with the dude.

Oh ... and although I had a nice, hour-long float ... TTN continues to disappoint with a real lack of critters lately. Wonder what's up with that ... used to be an almost sure-thing for finding something really cool to take pictures of ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: TTN ... there's a new Mr. Angry in town ...

Post by ljjames »

maybe the critters don't like mr. angry either... they were parking too close...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

A NEW Mr. Angry?! SWEET!! I definitely need to meet him. The last Mr. Angry who literally growled at Tom and I (it was weird) ggot growled back at.

Hey Tom - let's consider TTN for a possible morning dive this week!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

This is not good news.

We don't need a complaining resident mucking up access to this site. Hope someone finds a way to make friends...

Doug - I might give that a try - although I fly out to Kauai on Sunday so I may not be able to get wet this week. Still need to pick up some goodies from you....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

When I get done with the job I'm on, I think I'll be diving TTN until I meet Mr. Angry.
Mr. Angry's everywhere are suprisingly nice to Mongo.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Love them to death. Everybody bring them a housewarming gift to show them that we're nice and polite. That would be very disarming.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Dang.

I always imagined buying a house next to a cool dive site, just so I could invite divers over for drinks or a BBQ. What a great social opportunity and a way to meet new friends and dive buddies!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

airsix wrote:Love them to death. Everybody bring them a housewarming gift to show them that we're nice and polite. That would be very disarming.
That's the very best of tactics.. and if it don't work... well... at least ya tried...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
airsix wrote:Love them to death. Everybody bring them a housewarming gift to show them that we're nice and polite. That would be very disarming.
That's the very best of tactics.. and if it don't work... well... at least ya tried...
Yeah, I tried to say good morning to DIW Mr. Angry and he, literally, growled at me. We later found out his wife works nights... no wonder he's so upset.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I've said hello to this guy a couple of times, asked him if where I parked was a problem, have had no angry replies. He's not particularly friendly but was not 'angry' either. I did not appreciate his vehicles parked lengthwise the last time I was there but it's his property so what are you going to do? I know I don't appreciate not having a parking space at my house when I need one so don't really blame him for being upset. The best we can do is be polite and friendly-don't pee in the bushes or get naked by your car-and hope that eventually he'll realize we aren't there to make his life miserable.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I do believe that his property line ends at his fence line... that is all public land right there.
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yes its public right-of-way and cannot be abandoned by the City since it leads to water (a WA state law). He can double park but since the spaces aren't marked, I doubt anyone will ticket the tax paying city resident vs. the visitor.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Geek wrote:I do believe that his property line ends at his fence line... that is all public land right there.
True, but Georgia has good points about our needing to be polite. No being loud while gearing up for a 7:00am splash, no garbage left behind, no car-side underwear modeling... that sort of thing.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Politeness from Mongo is what makes Mr. Angry's around the world so friendly. It is amazing how polite and friendly people become when a large bearded man is polite to them.
I think its a Santa Claus thing.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Geek wrote:I do believe that his property line ends at his fence line... that is all public land right there.
I'm sure this is true. But I know that I get a bit miffed when I cannot park in front of my own house because visitors are taking up all of the onstreet parking. I'm not going to yell at anyone but it still pisses me off. I run into this situation once a month because of an event that happens in my neighborhood on the last Thursday of the month. With 3 Tree they conceivably could have an issue every day or at least every weekend and lots of evenings. Just saying, it would quickly become very annoying especially if divers are being noisy and rude and such.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'll break with the crowd here and say that I have experienced some things as a homeowner that, from the visitor's standpoint, seem pretty harmless/not that annoying. However, if you have this sort of thing going on at or around your home day in and day out it does become pretty darn tiresome. Yes, the guy bought a house near a dive site- but who knows the circumstances around that decision and purchase (e.g., what if he was from out of state and only visited the house once or twice, when there happened to be crappy tides and no divers).

There may be cumulative annoyances and impacts that we as short-term visitors don't even notice, but that are a daily drag for this homeowner.

This guy, and all of us, are entitled to a minimum level of peace, quiet and privacy in and around our own homes. We probably don't realize just how noisy the clanking of dive gear is, or enthusiastic "did you see that x, y, z on that dive!" exclamations, or what it's like to see someone nearly naked getting in/out of their undergarment - or just the plain smell of divers after a dive (or Nailer opening his drysuit) all the time.

Let's cut the guy some slack, and as Mrs. Pants says, extend the olive branch as best as we can.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Buyer beware they should have checked out their property better before purchasing. It is not like the divers only showed up after they moved in. I liken it to the people that buy a home buy the air that has been there for years then complain about the noise. We should still be as polite as possible.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Let's all put our nickles together and get the couple a cert from one of the wonderful instructors on this board. Then maybe he will be excited to see buddies coming to his dive party.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Gotta agree with Calvin's point of view ... not all divers are as, um, considerate as we all are. If the dude's not a diver, he probably didn't think it would be an issue ... and for sure he probably didn't expect to find people peeing in his bushes.

So just be aware that this fellow has an issue with divers, and don't give him any more justification to feel that way.

Sometimes a little bit of consideration can go a long way towards making folks like this a bit less ... Angry ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Tangfish wrote:Let's cut the guy some slack, and as Mrs. Pants says, extend the olive branch as best as we can.
Yeah! What Calvin said!
Wait. What?

-Ben (Off to look for a new avatar I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with being Penelope. Again. LOL)
Hobo diver
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Hobo diver »

I agree with the olive branch approach. It's not so complicated. Treat others as you would like to be treated. We saw this couple last tues. night moving in and I certainly didn't get the love and peace vibe, let's share a coke, but perhaps talking to them could keep this from blowing out of proportion.It's a small thing to respect a guys parking space if it keeps the peace.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Is he renting or did he buy the house? Last time I was there the house was a rental I believe.