Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by Tom Nic »

Sigh... I knew it. The minute I get a spare day to go diving we'll be back to good ol' hand in front of your face viz. Oh well, as long as I'm breathin' 'trox under pressure it's all good. :breakdance:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

4/10 4/11 Muk Wall 15-20 @depth w/ the sun a' shinin'
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

psydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by psydiver »

cove 2 this morning- ~5-10' vis to 40fsw 10-15' down to 100fsw
....some guys like that. -vbcoachchris
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

-Sund Rock 4-16-2010, to 6fsw viz was abt 5', then down to abt 20 or 25 fsw there was a THICK layer of algae that reduced viz to a coupe feet, then below that it was variable 15-20'. Great day on the Hood!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

-Sund Rock 4-16-2010, to 6fsw viz was abt 5', then down to abt 20 or 25 fsw there was a THICK layer of algae that reduced viz to a coupe feet, then below that it was variable 15-20'. Great day on the Hood!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Deception Pass, Tuesday 7:00 AM - silty, 10 ' vis :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

3 Tree this morning was 5' opening up to 10' below 70 fsw.
Attachments
DSC01506.JPG
DSC01508.JPG
DSC01482.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:3 Tree this morning was 5' opening up to 10' below 70 fsw.
Wow. Spring is here in the Puget Sound!

Nice octo shot Ron!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Viz at Cove 2 tonight varied, depending on whether I was in front or behind, but it was probably never any better than ten feet, and frequently less. No change from the surface to 95 feet; there were time when, swimming as I normally do (about two to three feet off the bottom) I couldn't see the bottom. Nonetheless, three GPOs, two decorated warbonnets, a tritonia festiva and a sailfin sculpin.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Viz at Redondo this early evening (think sun in sky still...) was a night dive. 3-4 ft of visibility...ugh. Will make for an interesting weekend.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sund Rock april 22, Did two dives today at Sund. The surface water down to 30fsw was around 10 to 15 max with allot of thermal distortion, from 30 to 50... Viz what viz?? below 50 all the way down to 85 to 90.. 5' to maybe 8' at best. Not great but the weather was sunny and calm and my buddies where in a good mood so Hey....what the heck. It was a dive day and that's better than anything else.
Last edited by Dusty2 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Good diving with you today, Dusty! (April 22nd?)

Yup, Sund Rock was mucky -- highly variable depending on depth -- but still fun.

glenn

Edit: Um, yeah, I could have done without having a jelly (?) sting the bejeezus out of my upper lip, but medicinal beer has cured me. All bettah.
:occasion5:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Thurs, 23 April: Viz at Redondo was a craptastic 0-2ft, down to around 20fsw. But, then it 'clears up' to a whopping 5-10ft down to ~60ft. ...... :angryblue:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Spring is here... time to head for some warmer water! :boucegreen:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Vis yesterday was Green and fuzzy at Mukilteo...prob 10 feet , the Bloom has begun
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

So how long does vis like this typically last?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Depends. Easily through end of May or early June.

I'm guessing you could scroll back in this thread and get an idea from a year ago or so.

[Edit - Just checked back in this thread to last year and it didn't start improving until the end of June. We love the warm weather, so does the plankton!]
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Keystone: 4/24/10

About 15' maybe more, It was pretty good considering what I have heard.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Alki fishing reef this afternoon -- viz in the shallows was horrible -- just a few feet, heavy particulates. Below 10', it was bad, but by 40', it was probably a good solid 10 to 15. The good news is that the particulates appear to be conglomerating into early whale snot, so maybe in a week or so, things will improve.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Keystone, high slack yesterday evening 10-15, maybe more at times... not half bad, GPO's under every rock, etc...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

How do you know if you're on a PNW dive board?

Posts like these:

LCF wrote: The good news is that the particulates appear to be conglomerating into early whale snot
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Redondo. 4/28/10 Very snotty. Less than 5' all the way down to the carousel boat.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Sund Rock 4-29-10
1030am dive: Water was real clear down to around 20fsw, then a little stirred up but not bad. Maybe 15ft viz, w/ very fine particulate in the water.
1230dive: waves picked up and the top was mud soup, and from 20-40fsw viz was around 10ft. Below 50fsw it opens up to around 20ft or so....
Nice! :supz:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

keystone
15 to 20 ft viz the algae or whatever was plaguing the water was starting to form larger materials(amusing to swat at), rockfish everywhere as usual and noticed some other fish, note to self, bring camera next time. Nudis running wild.
slight waves nothing big but the sun did come out as SOON as i took my gear off.
Leaky gloves made for a short dive but i did see lingzilla at 11 fsw at 1201,head was the about 1 foot wide with a shorter body than most.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Deception Pass, Thursday - about 12 feet visibility - very weak current, lots of divers , very relaxing 66 minute dive :biggrin:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown