Rock boot alternatives?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ERP
Just Settling In

Rock boot alternatives?

Post by ERP »

I just tore one of the eyes of my DUI Rock boots, so before I go out and replace them, I was wondering what other people were using. And how they compare?
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Re: Rock boot alternatives?

Post by 2loud4u »

Chuck Taylors.... Half the price. Work the same or better.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I used these on my last suit:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Category ... html?Hit=1

I liked them soooo much better than the rockboots. They're really comfortable, and they zip up, so you never have to worry about the stupid laces coming untied underwater.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

+1 for either of the above suggestions. I've used both. My feet were warmer in the neoprene boots and they had better support, but chucks work fine too.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ERP
Just Settling In

Post by ERP »

I assume with the neoprene booties I need to buy a couple of sizes larger?
In which case how do they compare size wise in terms of fitting the pocket on fins?

Rob
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

I've been told high top converse work well. Haven't tried them though.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

WASP7000 wrote:I've been told high top converse work well. Haven't tried them though.
High top converse = chuck taylors
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Gotcha, I've never worn the things so I'm Chuck Taylor/converse ignorant. :dontknow:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ERP wrote:I assume with the neoprene booties I need to buy a couple of sizes larger?
In which case how do they compare size wise in terms of fitting the pocket on fins?

Rob
I would actually recommend trying these on while wearing your drysuit, and having your fins with you.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

It will be a good conversations starter in wal-mart :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Here you go, There even basic black http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog ... 196k232270
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Converse High tops (chuck Taylors) but beware you will be made fun of.
Not by me, but by the same people who laugh at my high tops.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

also if you look on the DUI outlet online, often they have rockboots that are either last years model or were demo day boots for near nuthin...

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/fr.pdf
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Seasoft Sunray wetsuit boots. They are "low tops" so they will still zip up over calves with thick socks, etc. However, for me, they only last about 50-75 dives before I end up putting a hole in the heel of them from pulling them up. Do buy at least 1 size larger than you normally would.
Jenn
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sunrays are awesome ... they're warm and have lug soles for good footing on the round rocks found at Coves 2 and 3.

However, they are also fairly narrow ... so if you've got wide feet (like I do), they probably won't work for you. But if they do, they're one of the best rock boot alternatives I've found ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

WASP7000 wrote:Gotcha, I've never worn the things so I'm Chuck Taylor/converse ignorant. :dontknow:
NoOb! :eric:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Mongodives wrote:Converse High tops (chuck Taylors) but beware you will be made fun of.
Yeah but DUDE!..R E A A L L Y!!!!.... it's the whole pink My Little Pony theme thang that's got everyone laughing...

though it's pretty impressive that you found those things in 'Sasquatch' size. :hah:

FWIW... i found the neoprene boots to be the warmest way to go for me.. I'm a fan of the Hightide boots myself.. but they do have sort of a wide sole. But if they work for your fin's I find them very nummy myself.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Mongodives wrote:Converse High tops (chuck Taylors) but beware you will be made fun of.
+1 for Chuck Taylors

Mongo who the hell would laugh at YOU????

I used the Taylors for a bit and they were just a little narrow for my wide feet. If you do get them I would suggest something with FLAMES!!!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 921x00003a
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

while I am a fan of Sunrays, these are my favorite alternative to DUI rockboots.

http://whitesdiving.com/sport-diving/evo-3-boots/
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

OTB's they sell them at Tacoma Scuba. They are a combat boot made for in the water and they are the best thing going. The whole sole drains and is razor siped for traction. It is like having velcro on your feet when you are climbing over rocks.
ERP
Just Settling In

Post by ERP »

The OTB SAR look very nice, how do they compare size wise to Rock boots. I'd rather not have to drive all the way to Tacoma to take a look at them.
I wear a size 9 shoe, and size 10 rock boots with my TLS, since I assume that OTB's are sized like conventional shoes, I'd probably need something bigger?
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

For OTB Boots go 2 size's bigger than you normally wear.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

those OTB's look interesting. is it just elastic and the velco band at the top that keep them on? no lacing involved?
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Do OTB's come in a size 16?
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It will be a good conversations starter in wal-mart
Actually, nobody in Fred Meyer even appeared to NOTICE when I came marching in, trailing my drysuit and holding my fins, to try Chuck Taylors for fit.

I loved the Evo boots Whites makes -- light, easy to put on, thick solid sole, dried fairly quickly -- but they were too wide for my feet and always felt as though they were going to come off. Whatever you get for a rock boot substitute, make sure it's secure on your feet. Kicking off your boot and fin isn't fun, especially if you do it 1500 feet back in a cave . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames