Dog shooting in Des Moines

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Dog shooting in Des Moines

Post by airsix »

I think all Joe is trying to say is that just as with diving - the best way to handle an emergency is to prevent it from happening in the first place. I'm ultimately responsible for the safety of my animals. Whether my dog is killed or injured by car, wild animal, exposure, or police officer I am personally responsible to some degree in each case. My dog is my responsibility. That's the bottom line. Everyone involved in this case has some culpability: Neighbors who weren't neighborly, kids who harassed dog, owner who was negligent in securing dog, law enforcement who mishandled situation. I think the cop screwed up but I don't buy the notion that 100% of the blame falls there. There's plenty to go around.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Fishstiq wrote:
spatman wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:Mods, with your blessing, can there be an open discussion (in a new thread) about this? Fair warning, if the people emailing me are indication, it will be fairly heated.
another thread? about what?

richard, are you wanting some of this split off into a different thread?
about any gorramn thing matt.
how about diving, joe?
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Richard, I am glad to hear that your club is putting together some resources for them to use in training. There are a lot of dog lovers who I'm sure, given the opportunity would like to help make sure issues like this have a better outcome.
Our society tends to react to things like this in a way that I personally can't stand, which is to react in a way that has everyone doing absolutely ridiculous things to ensure that there is no way any of the accidental events can happen, ever. The focus is there, and not on the responsibility all of us have to be thinking human beings. The key is, all of us ought to be striving to learn, and using the knowledge we gain. If I have a big cuddly dog in my back yard and my neighbors kids adore that dog, should I put a lock on the gate? Now I'm not saying that is what happened here, I'm just trying to make the point that if every possibility must be identified and measures taken to prevent such possibility dog ownership gets ridiculous. I used to have such a dog, in a neighborhood with kids that I would on occasion come home and find in my backyard paying with him. Everyone, dog, kids, me, enjoyed this situation, but if the dog had seen a cat when the neighbor was opening the gate, someone called the police to report it.... The outcome could have been ugly.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Wow, hot topic. It seems we've morphed into the NorthWest Dog Club.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

airsix wrote:I think all Joe is trying to say is that just as with diving - the best way to handle an emergency is to prevent it from happening in the first place. I'm ultimately responsible for the safety of my animals. Whether my dog is killed or injured by car, wild animal, exposure, or police officer I am personally responsible to some degree in each case. My dog is my responsibility. That's the bottom line. Everyone involved in this case has some culpability: Neighbors who weren't neighborly, kids who harassed dog, owner who was negligent in securing dog, law enforcement who mishandled situation. I think the cop screwed up but I don't buy the notion that 100% of the blame falls there. There's plenty to go around.
I just wanted to repost this because I think this is exactly what Joe is trying to say, and as usual airsix is able to make sense of other peoples words and thoughts, no matter how hard they are to interpret! :angelblue:

Some of you guys are only looking at the black and white here, why don't we look a little into the grey?
April
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pez7378 wrote:Wow, hot topic. It seems we've morphed into the NorthWest Dog Club.
Its just the internet, land of contrarian opinions. I seriously doubt anyone here advocating that the Wright's or the neighbors are "at fault" would say that in person to them. Not locking their gate, not knowing their neighbor well enough etc. It would be way beyond socially acceptable norms. Yet its easy to say stuff like this on the internet when you don't need to be accountable to the human beings receiving your message.

Here's some brief info on Oakland's history and what spurred their changes.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=7722085
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Raw video of the incident--see attached file.
Attachments

[The extension mp4 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

mz53480 wrote:Raw video of the incident--see attached file.
The really horrible thing is, I had to look....
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

You're right, Richard. I wouldn't say such things to the family. It's called adding insult to injury. I'm trying to be objective, not heartless.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

blackwater wrote:
mz53480 wrote:Raw video of the incident--see attached file.
The really horrible thing is, I had to look....
You NEVER follow links MZ post's... you could go blind.....
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Any of you "Experts" have an opinion on this incident? :smt064

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/430595_shooting23.html
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Pez7378 wrote:Any of you "Experts" have an opinion on this incident? :smt064

I'm sure that we'll hear from the usual suspects. The people who have never been to a dv call or on a felony traffic stop, The same people who have never had a weapon pointed at them........
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Didn't involve a dog. I haven't a clue about human behavior.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Unless it turns out that Rosie had a gun, I don't see the connection ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Grateful Diver wrote:Unless it turns out that Rosie had a gun, I don't see the connection ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I wasn't trying to make a connection Bob. I just thought it would be interesting to hear some expert opinions of the incident.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Wow. That is trolling, there isn't even close to enough information in there to make a comment on what happened.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Blitz wrote:

Wow. That is trolling, there isn't even close to enough information in there to make a comment on what happened.
Yep. Stirring the pot to see what bubbles up. Doesn't have anything to do with this incident, as far as I can see. I don't see any "experts" in this thread, either, except possibly Richard, who has some deep knowledge of Newfoundlands. I'm having a hard time understanding why so many people are kicking up sand over this. I guess it's reasonable to assume that every dog that gets out of it's yard should be executed by the police? Or, is it OK to question that outcome?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Blitz wrote:

Yep. Stirring the pot to see what bubbles up. Doesn't have anything to do with this incident, as far as I can see. I don't see any "experts" in this thread, either, except possibly Richard, who has some deep knowledge of Newfoundlands. I'm having a hard time understanding why so many people are kicking up sand over this. I guess it's reasonable to assume that every dog that gets out of it's yard should be executed by the police? Or, is it OK to question that outcome?
...hmm speaking of black and white....he he
It's reasonable to assume that the outcome of you neglecting to keep your dog secured can end up being one of many. This story is ONE of the possible outcomes due to the lack of budget to keep animal control flourishing. Lately police havent even been able to handle how to treat "people" correctly, as seen on lots of the current footage. So if people interpret what I was saying as "If you fail to keep your dog secured it should be executed", then that is fine and I am not surprised. Do I agree with the dog being shot? I wasnt there. If I was a police officer and was scared that a dog is being aggresive and is a threat to me, or the people in the neigborhood I am payed to protect? That it the real question here.
The initial post was a biased "call to arms" from someone that is a stakeholder in a particular form of breed. Would this same thread have been started if it were a pitbul, german shepard, or Rottweiler? I think not. I just posted as it seemed that all fingers were pointing at the officers and none were speaking of the responsibility of the owners.

Another bottom line....MANY people are naturally leary of big dogs. Unfortunetely an afraid, BIG, dog may be more likely to try out the aggression card, before the run away with tail between the legs card. The police, who made this dog use that card, used this fear/aggresion to justify taking the dog out. Sad but true.

Don't assume that everyone that voices an opinion on a public discussion group wouldn't do the same in person. I, for one, have no problem giving my opinion, should the time and place fit. I have the same opinion be it written or spoken word.

Love Always,
Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

1.JPG (1.88 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
I can see it coming...
:popcorn:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

mz53480 wrote:
1.JPG
I can see it coming...
Yep :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

citycatred wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
1.JPG
I can see it coming...
Yep :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Why? Because people are having a conversation with differing opinions? They lock threads for that? I can hardly believe it!

:bs: :bs: :bs:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

hope you all have a happy and safe thanksgiving.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF7MtfDDp6A[/youtube]
Archer
Just Settling In

Post by Archer »

Agree with the whole nanny state thing. People need to grow a pair and deal with small problems on thier own and leave the cops for the heavy lifting. i have a few cops as friends and usually defend them to the end. that said?
My job has me visit 6-12 addresses per day. Many with dogs. If the owner knows the dog is vicious they are usually penned but not always. In 3+ years doing this gig I have only had one dog that would not allow me in the yard. Usually some gentel words will do. If not a few dog cookies gets them to think you are their new best friendand they will show around the place. This cop should get... I dont know how about drag his favorite toy out in the yard and shoot it! What a dumb, jerk move. really stupid.
Archer
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Good article by my friend Christine Hibbard:
http://companionanimalsolutions.com/blo ... oting-dogs
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.