silicone seal

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
deep diver
Pelagic

silicone seal

Post by deep diver »

Finally got bored enough today with the wind and the rain to put a new neck system on my bare drysuit. Installed the si-tech quick change system with a silicone seal. This system is kind of pricey at first, but if you don't normally install your own seals this will save you money in the long run. No more gluing! :taco:
The si-tech went on real easy, seems like it would fit just about any suit. On the bare it glued inside under the collar. Seems to make a stiff ring that you can notice in the suit when it is not on, but when it was on I couldn't tell it was on. I haven't had tanks on with it, so I'll try it Tuesday and see how it goes. The silicone seal feels real strange compared to my latex and is real light weight, you can hardly feel it when it's on your neck. The company I bought it from only makes the one size, looks small but fits extremely comfortable. Putting it in to the si-tech ring takes a little bit of finesse, I got a little carried away and the rolling tool they supplied cut the seal. :eek: Removed the ring and put the seal in farther and re installed the ring. Doesn't seem to be any leaks above water...... The great thing about this system is that you don't have to buy any special neck seal, since it works with any latex or silicone seal. I'll post again after Tuesday dive to let you know how it works.

Pictures are 2 without seal in place, just ring and 2 with seal in place.
Attachments
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG
It's a good day.... nobody died!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: silicone seal

Post by LCF »

Which brand of silicone seal did you buy? I have been watching this system closely for about a year now, because I go through neck seals like crazy, but I had heard that one brand of the neck seals was rather flimsy, so I was waiting for SiTech to begin selling theirs.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

I bought waterproof, it is mighty thin, but feels great on.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Makes a great looking system. Hope it works just as good. Si tech is starting to sell them now so when Mine goes I will be lookin that way too.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning at Point Hudson. Figure I'd rather walk in versus jump off a boat the first time I try it out to see if I got it in right :rofl:

Grant said he was ordering one in so you can check it out there if I don't see you before.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks, We talked about it last week and I'm itching to see one installed. To bad you didn't up last week.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I hadn't realized that you could use regular latex seals with the thing . . . that decided me. When this seal need replacement, I'm getting me one of these ring things!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Went today to Point Hudson with my newly installed Si Tech quick change ring and silicone seal. The ring system seems to work well and seals up tight. Checked on Si Techs site and they only have the latex seal for this system. The silicone seal that I have is a waterproof brand, which was the only one I could find. The seal is extremly comfortable on, but with the 40% more stretch to the seal burping was a problem as I got water down my neck several times. Exhausting air more than normal. The seal slides on dry easy, but with wet skin it sticks so was a little tough getting off my forhead with a form fitting suit. If suit was looser, it might have been easier. This was the first dive with this seal so I haven't given up, it just might take a few dives to get used to. Only did the one dive today because of the weather. If I find I don't like the silicone seal it is easy to change back to the latex. It's great just not having to re-glue again. :supz: :bounceline:
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

forgot to mention :nutty: After I got my tanks on I couldn't feel the ring at all, above or below the water. that's a good thing! :taco:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

If you're not folding the seal under (so the outside surface is against the neck with the top edge facing down) you might try that. It should cut down on or eliminate the burping.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

It definatly has 2 different sides... seems like that would make it leak, as the outside isn't as sticky... but have never used a silicone seal before .....
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

how do you glue the silicone seal onto the ring,,,or is it manufactured and not diver rebuildable??
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

No glue at all. That's what the ring is for.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

airsix wrote:If you're not folding the seal under (so the outside surface is against the neck with the top edge facing down) you might try that. It should cut down on or eliminate the burping.
This is pretty much like a latex seal, just done in silicone. I've never heard of tucking a latex seal-probably make it leak. I think it would this one also.
Tucking is for neoprene seals. But, by all means try and report.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

cardiver wrote:No glue at all. That's what the ring is for.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Cardive is correct, you have to use the si tech ring system and the seal just snaps in with their special tool included in the kit.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

fmerkel wrote:
airsix wrote:If you're not folding the seal under (so the outside surface is against the neck with the top edge facing down) you might try that. It should cut down on or eliminate the burping.
This is pretty much like a latex seal, just done in silicone. I've never heard of tucking a latex seal-probably make it leak. I think it would this one also.
Tucking is for neoprene seals. But, by all means try and report.
I've heard of people folding latex seals. Doesn't make a difference for me, but then again I have a good neck for seals.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

deep diver wrote:It definatly has 2 different sides... seems like that would make it leak, as the outside isn't as sticky... but have never used a silicone seal before .....
Given that you can remove the seal, I wonder if you could install it inside-out and then fold it under so that the sealing side is against your skin. As long as you're the one getting wet, I'm open to exploring all possibilities. :neener:
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

:neener: :rofl: :laughing3: bad james! :arsespank: :rofl:
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Was the silicone seal "warmer" than latex?

Silicone has been tried before, however the material "stretched" more and at a faster rate than latex (thus wearing out faster than latex), not to mention it was more expensive than latex. So from a marketing perspective it failed. It will be interesting to see if Waterproof can "make" this next generation seal work. So far everyone says its the "cats meow", so I'll wait and see.

BTW, for those of us who have latex allergies, this could be a God's send!
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

seems to be the same