Day 2 Saturday Ft Lauderdale

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Day 2 Saturday Ft Lauderdale

Post by H20doctor »

Well its day 2 Saturday and we have loaded up to get our first day and taste of florida boat diving… we launched the Bug runner , and with miss Donna at the helm , chads wife we set out to the sea… Our first dive was set to be a wreck dive in 115 feet of water, But after we had to be roped lined pulled to the bow of the boat, and get on the anchor line , surface current was a bit strong.. chad was gonna scooter and we all dropped … getting down the line was tough, and I had to physically pull myself down hand over hand, mike was in front of me and I hit 85 feet…. At 85 feet I stopped .. no wreck in site… nothing, still rippin current .. 3 factors came into play.. if I let go of this anchor line , im screwed cause im just gonna Blow a mile under water before I can surface to be picked up, 2nd im using a lot of air to get to 115 feet, and when I get there my bottom time will be limited, and if I don’t get back to the anchor line im screwed again…. 3rd the what if factor , what happens if there is a problem with me or my dive buddies?
Mike turns and looks at me , and we decide to thumb it ….
Chad got to see the wreck from an Xscooter perspective , and have a nice deco .. LOL
We headed for our next site , a sucken Bardge in 50 feet of water called the Sea Emperor … we dropped anchor again , and headed on down.. this 70 foot bardge was really nice , lots to see , you could get into it by dropping in and also swim through the mid sections.. Lots and lots of fish, corals and soft sponges.. Chad and mike were lookin for lobster, along with spearfishing… I got to see 2 Goliath Groupers, and a Shark.. some really nice stuff here …On a video note , I need more light to film with and my current set up is not enough flood…. I spent a good 57 mins on the wreck , and then headed back up for our 3rd dive on a reef , which I will post in the next thread…it was a nice sunny day for diving in florida , and the winds and the waves weren’t to bad … But mike did get woosy , no matter the Dramamine …

give it a min the video is not done converting
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2E5wQZGZgI[/youtube]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Re: Day 2 Saturday Ft Lauderdale

Post by guitarmaker »

Cool video, thanks for sharing - I like your write ups too. :supz:
BTW, what was the black and white fish with the huge long dorsal?
Cheers!

Ron
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

AWESOME VIDEO Chris. I have never seen that fish with the long fin before.

Your vid did a lot of justice for the size of that shark.
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

pensacoladiver wrote:AWESOME VIDEO Chris. I have never seen that fish with the long fin before...

looks like a Jackknife or juvenile Spotted Drum
Last edited by olyvtx on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Cool vid!
:taco:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I tried for an hour to locate a tropical fish id web page for florida and the bahamas... But no luck at all... Id like to id some of the wrasses and parrot fish, along with the angle fish , tangs, and cow fish... More to come in a couple of days , thanks for the nice comments everyone
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Really nice video Chris!!! Beginning to end
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Is this it? Jackknife fish?
Attachments
drumfish.jpg
Last edited by guitarmaker on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!

Ron
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

I meant to tell you Chris, on the first wreck dive that you didn't get to see (the Jim Torgensen wreck), I had no deco obligation on the way up. 32% Nitrox is the best thing sinced sliced bread... and at $.08 a cubic foot, which happens to be the same price for air... just cant see much of a reason to not dive it all the time.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

pensacoladiver wrote:I meant to tell you Chris, on the first wreck dive that you didn't get to see (the Jim Torgensen wreck), I had no deco obligation on the way up. 32% Nitrox is the best thing sinced sliced bread... and at $.08 a cubic foot, which happens to be the same price for air... just cant see much of a reason to not dive it all the time.
Its not the same price as air up here, tis for sure...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

pensacoladiver wrote:I meant to tell you Chris, on the first wreck dive that you didn't get to see (the Jim Torgensen wreck), I had no deco obligation on the way up. 32% Nitrox is the best thing sinced sliced bread... and at $.08 a cubic foot, which happens to be the same price for air... just cant see much of a reason to not dive it all the time.
:supz:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Norris wrote:
Although diving in the PNW is beyond description, the actual dive business there pales in comparison to south Florida. Chris posted that in some places, there are dive shops right next to each other and he was not exaggerating. It's a great deal for the consumer.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

pensacoladiver wrote:
Norris wrote:
Although diving in the PNW is beyond description, the actual dive business there pales in comparison to south Florida. Chris posted that in some places, there are dive shops right next to each other and he was not exaggerating. It's a great deal for the consumer.
What was the name of the big dive store we went into late Sat. night? It was like the Cabellas of dive stores......
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

mz53480 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
Norris wrote:
What was the name of the big dive store we went into late Sat. night? It was like the Cabellas of dive stores......
Was it Divers Direct?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

guitarmaker wrote:Cool video, thanks for sharing - I like your write ups too. :supz:
Although it has a similar color pattern, this is not a jackknife fish, it's a juvenile drum.
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

rjarnold wrote:
guitarmaker wrote:Cool video, thanks for sharing - I like your write ups too. :supz:
Although it has a similar color pattern, this is not a jackknife fish, it's a juvenile drum.
Actually I have to correct myself - I've never heard of a "jackknife fish", but apparently it's also a drum. Silly common names! It is a juvenile though.
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

yes we went into the maga dive store , divers direct
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

rjarnold wrote:
rjarnold wrote:
Actually I have to correct myself - I've never heard of a "jackknife fish", but apparently it's also a drum. Silly common names! It is a juvenile though.
Ahh, that makes sense because you get similar/same pictures by googling either jacknife or drum. Beautiful video of the fish!
Cheers!

Ron