Maritime Documentation society (MDS) Dives missile Silo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Maritime Documentation society (MDS) Dives missile Silo

Post by Maverick »

There is a Rush about seeing Broken, tangled, rusted, sharp, jagged, pieces of metal that only a fellow ship wreck divers can share with me. and I'm not talking about the Honey Bear, I talking about deep, dark wrecks that only a few divers visit each year. Its kind of an addiction for me, yesterday it was twisted metal in fresh water in the middle of washington state. Yup thats right in the desert, a snow covered desert. MDS planned this exploration for the past few weeks with Gene, owner of the Kenewick wa, dive shop. We drove friday night to Duck hunting mecca, Pot Holes MarDon resort, to find a cold snow covered flat plains of marsh and jet sleds. We were the only ones there to enjoy a bit of Challenging scuba diving, everyone else thought we were crazy to dive in this area, Shot guns and beer were their gear, ours was drysuits and rebreathers, and of course me on OC.

Paul, Rob, Dan, Mark, and myself met up with Gene and his two Divemasters, Brent and larry at Judy's good food on Hwy 26 for some breakfast and coffee to talk Silo diving. Gene made us a really nice 3-ring binder with pictures, maps and literature on the silo that was built some time between 1945-1950 to protect ourselves from attack during the COLD WAR. After a nice briefing and great food, we drove about 5 miles through a grave yard of old farm equipment to find a 30" tube sticking out of the ground, that was our entrance to the silo, where the 50 degree crystal clear water waited for our entry. it took about an hour to stage our gear, Dan and Mark to set up camera gear and dawn our drysuits. It was really cool to lower our gear down the shaft and then lower our selves down to follow. If you have a waist larger than 36" you most likely better sit this dive out, as there is no way you could fit your Fat ass through this tube :eek: I could hear my doubles scraping the shaft the whole way down the tube to the totally dark base of the entrance, dark is an understatement. we loaded our stages and bailouts on this kayak that gene stores at the base of the ladder for a gear shuttle. once we were in the shaft there was and the gear was dawned and kayak was loaded we lined up single file to make the 30 minute walk in waste deep water to the silo itself. there were many obstacles to climb over and hurdle and dodge on the walk, my shins show these obstacles today. Holes in cat walks, pipes to crawl over and jagged metal to tear your suit as Paul found out, this is a brutal dive on gear.

once we were above the silo tube it was go time. imagine a concrete tube about 40 feet across with a square elevator shaft inside, thats what the silo was like. it was only 108 ffw tot he silty floor and the vis was like a swimming pool. there were stairs, and scatter shields and launch platforms and signs and danger high voltage warnings all over the walls. it was great, and to know that very few people have been here since it was flooded was an added bonus. I racked up about 10 minutes of deco and used 34% as a deco gas, because it also seemed to be a good bailout or spare gas for my fellow CCr buddies. the silo was pretty entertaining and gave me my fix for submerged broken metal. it is defiantly not a dive for everyone, takes some strength and balance just to get to the silo its self. if you cant lift you doubles out of your car to get filled at the shop don't dive this, or use a singles rig like others usually do. We were the first group of tech divers to do this silo dive, first doubles in the silo and first CCR divers too. DCS films will have a great video of the silo dive, control room, and sleeping quarter too. it took about 2 hours total for the first dive, that includes the walk in and the walk out. we dived silo # 2 and silo #3, as silo one is not safe and full of asbestos foam that was used to insulated the steam pipes throughout the chambers. this was a great dive and very challenging to get to the silo, once in the silo it was pretty standard, nothing that a diver with good buoyancy couldn't handle, but again if you cant walk with your gear 1600 feet out of the water this isn't for you. there were times that I had to crouch down to let the load off my shoulders, and I am a fairly strong legged person, I have no problem lugging around a set of 130's, but boy was this a long walk.

The dive masters were great people and Gene was great to talk to, he has many plans for this guided tour of the Titan Missile silo and I suggest that some of you check this out, but be ready to work for this rewarding dive. this ain't Cove 2

My favorite part was the 100 free fall in the crystal clear water to the base of the silo to find a spring loaded floor, to absorb the shock of bombs hitting the station. these coil springs were about 12" in diameter and about 12" tall the steel that made up the coils were about 3/4" thick, really cool to see.

the silo itself had 140 people living in it and running the place at one time, kinda tight quarter to live in, but made for a wonderful dive with some great dive buddies. the DM's stayed at the top of the silo for the dive, they came to 40ffw to see what we were up to at the bottom, but were not really into the deep dive, as they have seen it many times before.

vis was about 60 feet throughout the dive and there were many doors and rooms to swim through in the control room really, great, some areas were so tight I had to unclip my stage (Al 80) and push it through ahead of me and then reclip it and continue the dive. All you need is an adv. cert for this dive, but i do suggest you are in good physical shape as the climb out up the shaft on a 20 foot ladder frozen with 1/2" diameter steps with doubles on was by no means easy, hole shit it hurt my feet to have all that weight on those thin ladder rungs.

Hope you all enjoyed this write up and contact Gene for a guided tour of the Silo. I'm sure others will chime in to add to my post, it was great.

MDS will be producing a video of the silo and it will be on Gene's website to help get you all jacked up to do the dive. Check it out, its worth it, although it was lacking life, i just love the huge rock fish on deep wrecks, and missed those.

BJ
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Re: Maritime Documentation society (MDS) Dives missile Silo

Post by Fishstiq »

Damn, I'm jealous!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Very Cool!!! Sounds like a blast and a fair bit of work...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nice write up, bj! sounds like a cool adventure. looking forward to seeing the videos.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Sounds simply marvelous!!!!!!!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Big Thanks to Gene, Brent, and Larry. These guys were great hosts,extremely heipful and full of information. =D> Not to mention just fun to dive with.
Nice report BJ.
Stay tuned for the DCS video.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Thanks the write-up! Unlike others, it helps me confirm that this is a dive I WON'T be doing. Just your description of the tunnel walk was enough to give me the willies!
Kelly
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yes, thank you for the report. I had wondered about this dive (especially since I spend a fair amount of time in the area). But I think, after your description, it's one I'll enjoy vicariously. Looking forward to the video.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

LCF wrote:Yes, thank you for the report. I had wondered about this dive (especially since I spend a fair amount of time in the area). But I think, after your description, it's one I'll enjoy vicariously. Looking forward to the video.
Oh that's a shame Lynne you would really like the dive, being cave certed and all. dont you lug dubs around on a regular basis, mentoring students and all? there is no need to run line or anything, maybe Richard will carry your gear for you :smt064 this is a div e right up your alley, but i do understand opting out due to the lengthy walk and heavy lifting, but you have a pretty tight crew, i bet one of them would lug your gear up the ladder for you, and once in the water with you being shorter than I, I bet the water would take some of the weight off your shoulders, you should check this out Lynne, its only a 30 minute walk.

one thing i think i left out of the write up was the water was surprisingly warm, about 50 degrees. I thought it would be much colder being natural flood water, but it was nice and warm compared to the air temp.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Wow, That's way cool BJ! I've wanted to do that dive ever since I heard about it back when I got certified. Maybe we can get a group from NWDC together and book a tour, seems like that would be a blast. I'm curious though, in hindsight do you think the added gas was worth the trouble of shlepping the dubs? If you had to do it over would you take doubles again or maybe opt for something like a single 130 with a slung 40 or 80? What was your average depth and how much of the time was under a hard overhead? It sounds like the overhead part was only a few minutes at a time. Was it very silty or not so much?

I konw question, questions, inquiring minds want to know.....
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Very cool!

So if someone were to take sidemount tanks and drop them down the shaft, load them on the kayak and drag them down the 1600' tunnel, wouldn't that be more comfortable? You could do the walk in nothing but a BC and harness. Just thinking out loud. ( for Lynne) :stir:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

it can all be considered over head, although really only the control room is, and that was half the dive. I had dubs and an 80 and I like more gas than most, because i like to know i have enough gas for me and my CCR homies if needed. but you could use a 130 if you like its your call. most take a 100 and a 19 or 30 for a pony. but i am not most people and have all the gear, so i brought it along.

as far as silt goes, crystal clear, but lots of rust silt sitting on all flat surfaces that the slightest fin kick would stir up. but you won't have a problem Matt.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Nwbrewer wrote:Very cool!

So if someone were to take sidemount tanks and drop them down the shaft, load them on the kayak and drag them down the 1600' tunnel, wouldn't that be more comfortable? You could do the walk in nothing but a BC and harness. Just thinking out loud. ( for Lynne) :stir:

:rofl: :rofl: YOu guys always make things so confusing, just carry the gear. and no they dont allow that many tanks on the kayak, its for fins and is really there as an emergeny sled for a hurt diver, either you carry your gear or you don't dive. Thats the way it is, if you can't lift it you cant use it. Good Idea though Jake.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Maverick wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: YOu guys always make things so confusing, just carry the gear. and no they dont allow that many tanks on the kayak, its for fins and is really there as an emergeny sled for a hurt diver, either you carry your gear or you don't dive. That's the way it is, if you can't lift it you cant use it. Good Idea though Jake.
So if it you can float a kayak through the tunnels couldn't you inflate your wing and push your rig along in front of you? Just thinking out loud.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

I'll sherpa your gear, if you pay my entry fee.
:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'll sherpa your gear, if you pay my entry fee.
Hmm . . . have to think about this.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

We only used RB's for the video to keep the sediment dislodged by any bubbles to a minimum. Having never dove there before we really didn't know what to expect. With only one OC guy (BJ) we figured that it would be minimal. Having said that if I was just going over to dive the silos and knowing what I know now I would really look at the sidemount / sling option. If the group was small ( 3-5) I THINK (?) you could use the kayak to carry tanks to and from the silos. We had 5 sling tanks, a video, a still camera and it worked just fine. Be worth looking into IMHO.
One more thing, there is NO light in the tunnels leading to the silos. I would recommend 3 lights. 1 for the walk to and from and for exploring the dry portion, a primary dive light and a backup.
Have fun, its a unique piece of history.
Rob
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
nanmark1
Getting To Know Folks

Post by nanmark1 »

Good story B.J.! It was a great trip but my shins are still sore.

Mark
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

nanmark1 wrote:Good story B.J.! It was a great trip but my shins are still sore.

Mark
MINE TOO!!!!
Maverick

STAIRS.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Glad you had fun, BJ, but this thread bums me out. I had an offer from Dan to join but I bagged out due to schedule conflict, no gas available in town (still) other than air, and lack of overhead training. Despite the multiple reasons not to go I still wish I had.

Jake, regarding sidemount: There was a group who came down from Vancouver BC recently and used sidemount to dive the overheads. Gene said it looked like they got around pretty easily that way.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Nice write up BJ. We've got a tentative trip planned for Feb 5 and had heard that the entry's a bugger, you gave some much needed and desired intel.

Thanks a bunch.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Finally someone with some first hand knowledge of the dive! Good report BJ, I can't wait to see Dan's video :supz:
bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

hardest part was the entrance
i highly recommend this dive, very cool

you do not need to carry all the crap we had
an 80 and a pony is fine
just do not spend all your time at the bottom

put your weights on the kayak
walk at your own pace
the dive masters tell you
where to step

the dive masters are very enthusiastic
and the walk down the long dark tunnel
is sort of a dive fore-play
Attachments
photo.JPG
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I hear the dive masters are less enthusiastic when their clients do 80 minutes of bottom time per dive. LOL (good for you guys)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

airsix wrote:Glad you had fun, BJ, but this thread bums me out. I had an offer from Dan to join but I bagged out due to schedule conflict, no gas available in town (still) other than air, and lack of overhead training. Despite the multiple reasons not to go I still wish I had.

Jake, regarding sidemount: There was a group who came down from Vancouver BC recently and used sidemount to dive the overheads. Gene said it looked like they got around pretty easily that way.

dude we were all on air, air is good to 200 feet if you ask me, :smt064
Maverick

STAIRS.