Oly E-520 or Pen PL2?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Oly E-520 or Pen PL2?

Post by Gdog »

Was ready to go to DSLR until I talked to the oly guy at the dive expo. Now im just uncertain. Been shooting this Oly 5060 for several years, its time. Any input?
boydski
Submariner

Re: Oly E-520 or Pen PL2?

Post by boydski »

Gdog wrote:Was ready to go to DSLR until I talked to the oly guy at the dive expo. Now im just uncertain. Been shooting this Oly 5060 for several years, its time. Any input?
A DSLR allows you to put really good glass (lens & Port) in front of the camera. With most systems, the purchase of a good lens can last for decades and allows you to upgrade the body (and sensor) without having to repurchase the lens.
Unfortunately, this comes at a very high cost. $$$

I started shooting with a Point and Shoot Olympus when digital cameras first came out, but ran into the limitations of those early cameras and eventually switched to a DSLR with interchangeable lens. Many of the lenses that I now use actually cost more than a typical point and shoot camera, but are capable of astonishingly crisp images.

DSLR's are spendy, bulky, awkward and sometimes hard to use, but are capable of capturing the best images. It boils down to a choice between cost/effort and what you want to do with your Underwater Photography. I'm extremely happy with the images that my Nikon system produces, but the cost and lack of "ease of use" isn't for everyone.

YMMV
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Depends on what you wanna do. For publication-quality images or professional work, the dSLR is the only way to go. If you just want to print 11x14s for friends and family, then the PEN will likely work just fine.

Just keep in mind that a good PEN rig will come in at the ~2k range, while a good dSLR rig will come in at 4-10x that much.

Whatever you choose, keep in mind that you don't want to hae to buy this again -- pick one and commit to it long-term.

Scott
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Yes, I know that what I purchase will probably last me a long time. I want to make the right choice, hence the soliciting of input!. I just dont know much about the PEN setup.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The Pen setup is pretty new so it will be hard to find someone on the board that has one. I think cardiver was going to buy one but I don't know if he did or not. The advantages of the pen is that it uses a much larger CCD like the one used in DSLR's and can accept aftermarket lenses too. The trade off with that is you get a pretty big housing much like the DSLR's.

If you are serious and really need to get top quality images and don't mind the bulk and steep learning curve and have deep pockets a DSLR can't be beat but plan on dropping 4 to 5 grand. The pen is middle of the road and still allot cheaper than a new DSLR rig but not cheap. Take your time and talk to allot of people and read the online reviews. Don't jump till your sure and don't buy everything the sales reps tell you.

You might look around and see what you can find used. Tech guys are always upgrading and you can fall into some pretty good deals if your patient.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

Also keep in mind that if you make the jump into a DSLR you will have it with you on photo dives only. ie. if you have it with you the dive is dedicated to photography. Gone are the days you can simply slip your camera into your pocket in case you see something you would like to snap a pic of. And you will find yourself leaving it behind on some dives where you cant dedicate all your attention to the camera and those are allways the dives you are going to see something amaizing. A couple weeks ago I was out without my camera and came across the exact shot I have been needing for my GPO documentary. :angry:
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

The only significant difference between the Pen and a DSLR is that the Pen lacks an optical through-lens viewfinder. The depth of the body is consequently about 30% less because it doesn't contain the mechanical mirror mechanism. Otherwise it's just like a DSLR. The real question is can you get the lenses you want in that format, and do you want/need a real viewfinder?

Ping Peter Rothschild. He's shooting UW with a Pen. Last time I talked to him about it he was extremely happy. I handled the rig and it was easily 1/3 smaller than the typical DSLR death star.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

airsix wrote:The only significant difference between the Pen and a DSLR is that the Pen lacks an optical through-lens viewfinder.
Usually that would mean the camera does not use a mechanical shutter like a DSLR and that the sensor is built much the same as a video camera (always on). The typical DSLR (always dark) sensor usually performs better because it is not energized until needed, which helps with low light performance and heat.

I'm not sure if that applies to the Pen, but talking to Peter sounds like a good idea.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

If I were to choose between the two, I'd choose the E-PL1 or 2 over the E-520. It is my understanding they use the same 4/3's sensor so no difference there; pretty much the same internal software; and they can use the same lenses (but the E-PL series can also use the micro-4/3's lenses); so no difference there. THE difference is the lack of a mirror so that with the E-PL series (micro 4/3s aka EVILs [electronic viewfinder, inter-changable lenses]) you are always using "live view" -- that is, there is no optical viewing with the EVILs. (Note -- Oly appears to be leaving the dSLR system and concentrating on the EVILs so there should be little growth in the E series.)

As I understand the designs, the lack of optical viewing means the EVILs must use a different type of auto-focus system -- contrast detection -- instead of the system used by dSLRs. The sSLR focus system is much faster than the contrast system -- I've seen numbers like 0.02 seconds for shutter press/focus/shoot for a dSLR vs. 0.07 seconds for shutter press/focus/shoot for the EVILs. I honestly don't know if that is a significant number! The speed difference is substantially less if you "pre-focus" the EVIL prior to final shutter press.

IF you are planning on using "live view" on a dSLR, I'm not at all sure there is any advantage to the dSLR over the EVIL.

Me, I like live view and would use it on a dSLR so the advantage is minimized.

Housings -- the Oly Pen series has a very nice Oly housing (I've had mine to 160 feet) which comes with a flat port which works well with the 14-43 mm "kit" lens (28-86 mm 35mm equiv). It does a pretty good job for macro with about a 0.5:1 ratio -- WA is NOT my thing and the combination of 14mm and flat port is just so-so. Panasonic has several lenses that work well with the Pen series and Oly has a 9-18 WA lens that works very well with the Zen (glass) dome port -- 100 degree FOV and a 50mm macro lens is said to released "soon."

Pricing -- Street prices for the E-PL1 -- $450; PL2 - $499(?)(big difference is the 2 has a newer kit lens which is a little faster to focus but not as good for macro as I understand); Oly housing -- $599 (?); Zen port -- $600+; Panni or Oly WA lens -- $700+. There are other housings available. The Oly housing is set up for two optically fired strobes OR the Oly remotely fired strobes.

I love the setup I have -- Inon D2000 strobe, Oly housing, E-PL1 with kits lens.

This is NOT a point-n-shoot but, instead, a very nice consumer EVIL camera that can grow as you wish.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Perfect. Thanks for the input. I have been talking to others, as well as other forums. The consensus is fairly consistent, sounds like Mr Olympus guy was right. The PEN epl-2 sounds just right for what I want on all points.
Thank you everyone for your input. It is nice to be able to ask these kind of questions in this setting and get high quality input and information.
Thanks again everyone. Ill post some pics once I get the setup and get aquainted with it.