Hornby Island trip video

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Hornby Island trip video

Post by -Aaron- »

At the end of March I had the chance to take a trip to Hornby Island, British Columbia for some diving. I had a great time and I can't say enough nice things about Rob and Amanda Zielinski from Hornby Island Diving. Their diving setup is very comfortable and homey, the proximity of the dive locations means no long boat rides, and Rob, Amanda, and the staff were amazingly friendly.

We had some fun dives on the trip, but for me the best moments were all about the Sea Lions. We had several dives where we met groups of them at the end in the shallows. However, the highlight of the trip and one of my favorite dives I've done, was diving right off the small island where the Sea Lion colony is located. As we swam along the coast line in 30 feet of water we were continually surrounded my large groups of curious Sea Lions. Sometimes at many as 30 or 40 would be surrounding you at a time. Occasionally they would get aggressive or nippy. I had a few bites at my camera and on my sides, legs, and fins, but for the most part they were very playful and interested. If you ever felt like it was a bit too much action it was easy to sink to the bottom of move out to deeper water and you would generally be left alone. Every time I get a chance to dive with Sea Lions it is fantastic, they are so curious, playful, and interactive. Being in a large group like this brought the excitement to a whole new level. Overall it was an amazing experience and a lot of fun.

I think the perfect trip would be to go up at the time of year when the Six Gills are around and the Sea Lions are still on the island. Then you could alternate between deep wall dives for potential Six Gill encounters and shallower off-gassing dives on the Sea Lion colony. You have to navigate through a few ferries to make it to the island, but it is a great place to do some unique dives if you are looking for a semi-local trip. The video is uploaded to my Vimeo account, I believe you can stream the embed in HD or go to the site:

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/22559476[/vimeo]

Let me know what you think :).

Thanks,
Aaron
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Hornby Island trip video

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Awesome! Brings back memories. One of my top 5 dives of all time!
Jenn
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Playful critters. Thanks for sharing, it gives a nice overview of that dive site.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

so how was the stay on the wallet....was it worth the cost ? I would go up there just to dive with the seals.... and because they have unlimited shore diving right there... But im wondering if they have good wall dives and drift dives ... nice video , im guessing you have a go pro ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

delightful video!! was this shot with the H2Ov?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Well since I couldn't get anyone to go diving with me tonight I got some good virtual dives in with three of Aaron's videos.
Awesome!
H20doc, forget Catalina, Lets go to Hornby Island and dive with those Sea Lions! :highfive: :metal:

Great Video Aaron, thanks!

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Enjoyed the video Aaron - thanks :)
-Aaron- wrote:I think the perfect trip would be to go up at the time of year when the Six Gills are around and the Sea Lions are still on the island. Then you could alternate between deep wall dives for potential Six Gill encounters and shallower off-gassing dives on the Sea Lion colony.
What time of year would that be? Fall?
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)
so how was the stay on the wallet....was it worth the cost ?
I think the total cost was $550 for the trip, that covered 4 boat dives and the potential for 2 extra night dives, plus 3 meals a day, rooms, and air. We carpooled up six of us in a minivan, so it minimized the ferry and gas costs. We were only there for a 3 day weekend and with travel time on Friday morning and Sunday afternoon, so our stay time was tight. The shore dive was nice, they have a wall right out from the resort so there was some interesting topography to see. All of the nighttime video was taken on the shore dive. The herring has just spawned so all the plant life in the shallows was completely covered in herring eggs. You do have to walk over some rocks to get to the water, but overall I didn't find the entry too difficult.

We did several wall and drift boat dives during the trip. The wall dives were pretty fun, but I think you are better off doing as many sea lion dives as possible. The walls had some interesting life, but overall it is mostly similar to what you see in the Puget Sound, so my thought is to focus on the more unique attractions the sea lions and six gill sharks (if you are in season). We did come across a large yellow eye (nearly 3 feet long) that was probably 150+ years old, that was cool. My dive buddy put up some still photos from the trip (https://picasaweb.google.com/Infl3x/201 ... nbyIsland#)if anyone is interested in seeing them. He posts here occasionally, so he might swing by.

Overall I feel like it was worth the cost for me based on the amazing sea lion colony dive. It was a fun trip that only used up one day of my vacation time, so leaves me lots of days left for future trips :). We were going to do a second dive on the sea lion colony the morning before we left, but the weather turned for the worse and we had to do a wall dive instead. As I mentioned if I went back I would try to schedule a time when I could do sea lion and six gill dives alternating and skip the wall dives, also I'd probably schedule some more time, a weekend felt pretty short considering the travel time.
nice video , im guessing you have a go pro ..
delightful video!! was this shot with the H2Ov?
Thanks :). The video was a bit of a mix. My camera is a ContourHD in a H2OV housing (you can see it on the back my hand in a few of the video shots), it is pretty similar to a GoPro in a different form factor. Two of my friends on the trip have DLSR cameras and they shot some video as well that they sent to me. I cut all of our footage together to make the video. Unfortunately, my camera powered down on the sea lion colony dive, so I missed a lot of what would have been the best footage, so I had to rely on my friends shots to fill in the gaps. When properly adjusted the quality of the DLSR video beats the ContourHD hands down, the long Sea Lion sequence at the end was done with the DLSR. My other friend's DLSR wasn't quite adjusted right, so his video was more grainy and dark for the most part. I used some of his clips, but not as many. Basically any shot of something other than a sea lion and most of the sea lion shots with no diver in the frame are the ContourHD. Overall I would say when the lighting is good the ContourHD holds up well, the shots are very clear and crisp with good detail, especially if it is close enough for my light to illuminate it. When you have wider shots, especially with the bright water in the background I noticed I would sometimes end up with more banding and graininess in the footage. There are some exposure settings on the ContourHD, but you have to set them before the dive, so you make the settings that are best for the average conditions and occasionally get a shot that isn't quite adjusted right.

Either way, I love the form factor and freedom of a smaller camera. Lining up the shots with no view finder can be a bit tricky at first, but once you learn how to point your arm it works well. Being able to do a normal dive and document what I see without lugging around a bit camera housing is really great, so I accept whatever limitations that entails :).
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

What time of year would that be? Fall?
Hey Pete,

Here is the season summary from the Hornby Island Diving website
November to February - great visibility, sea lions
March - herring spawn, an incredible wildlife event
April/May - wonderful spring diving with baby jellies, nudibranchs, crabs, fish and more
May to September - sixgill sharks
September/October - best visibility, a great time for wall dives
Looking at the schedule its might be tricky to find the perfect month. Six gill season looks to run through September and Sea Lions are heaviest in November through the winter. Note that we went at the end of March and the island was packed with Sea Lions, so their months are probably just general guidelines. I would guess that September / October would be the sweet spot, but I'm sure Rob and Amanda could give a more accurate estimate.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great info, Thanks!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

That's a great video Aaron, looks like a blast! Just added another dive site to my to do list.
Cheers!

Ron