Middle-aged, Mid-week Diver

Looking for a dive buddy? Get paired up here.
Matthew
Just Settling In

Middle-aged, Mid-week Diver

Post by Matthew »

Here's my tale,
I'm in my late 50s. My weekends are busy. I have lots of time during the week (retirement is a great gig), but no one to go make bubbles with. :(

I've been diving casually for the past ten years but I have only accumulated about 150 dives. I've been keeping my skills current by making recovery dives for myself and others. I have PADI AOW & Deep dive certs. I can have a great dive at 20ft or 120ft. I love diving simply for the sensation of being weightless and flying. I'm not into long surface swims and I love drift dives. I've been known to settle on the bottom and groove on all that I see around and above. I live in Olympia and I'm willing to hit any site from Edmonds on south (I've never dived Hood Canal). :eek:
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Re: Middle-aged, Mid-week Diver

Post by mcloed121 »

glad to see you on here i'm free at times during the week and i'm always up for diving and you will find alot of people on here who will dive next week sofar i have some days open if you want to dive i like diving alki cove2
Anthony
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

I'm in Tacoma. My schedule is all over the place so mid week dives sometimes work out for me. I like to do Les Davis quite a bit since it's only 10min from my house. Hit me up with a pm when your ready to go.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Hi, Matthew! A couple of other middle-aged weekday divers here . . . my husband is retired, and I'm an ER doc with a very erratic schedule, and few weekends free. We'd be happy to meet up, perhaps at the Coves, for a dive or two. I've finally been sucked into picking up a camera, so I'm diving even slower than I used to, and Peter's a real photographer, so it sounds like our pace would suit you fine.

I'm in MX for the next ten days, so let's talk in a couple of weeks.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If you don't mind a long drive I'll be in Port Townsend for the next week and it's an awesome divesite for critter watchers.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Do Fridays qualify as week days or weekends? I often do Sund Rock/ Hood Canal on Friday afternoons.
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Post by ashitaka666 »

Tacoma is about 30 minutes from me. So if you're up for a dusk/night dive I'd be in for that! (Les David and Titlow Beach) or any dives between Olympia and Tacoma. I also don't mind driving down to Sund Rock during the weekdays after work too.
(Last dive we had at Les Davis a harbor seal came and checked us out UW multiple times and even surfaced with us following us to our exit point. It got about 7 feet from me on the surface then swam away.)
Scuba Diving isn't about one's ego but about having fun and doing dives you feel comfortable doing.
Ashi's Photo Gallery
Rod Crocker
Just Settling In

Post by Rod Crocker »

I'm a farmer down in Toledo WA, so I'm pretty close to you and can get out on weekdays as well as weekends. I have a 21' dive boat and can't stand doing shore dives. I'm not too much into the south sound, but love Neah Bay and beyond(Gulf Is, Barkley Sound, etc). I can take a total 4 in the boat, so if you have friends let me know. Let's do a local dive some time just to check out on a simple dive before we go somewhere complex. Don't get me wrong, even at Neah Bay I don't take too many chances. You can get ahold of me at millcreekrod@gmail.com.
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Post by ashitaka666 »

Rod Crocker wrote:I'm a farmer down in Toledo WA, so I'm pretty close to you and can get out on weekdays as well as weekends. I have a 21' dive boat and can't stand doing shore dives. I'm not too much into the south sound, but love Neah Bay and beyond(Gulf Is, Barkley Sound, etc). I can take a total 4 in the boat, so if you have friends let me know. Let's do a local dive some time just to check out on a simple dive before we go somewhere complex. Don't get me wrong, even at Neah Bay I don't take too many chances. You can get ahold of me at millcreekrod@gmail.com.

Perfect! We could launch from the harbor in Brinnon and check out a few good sites around that area so can get used to diving as buddies. I normally can only dive on the weekends if we were doing boat dives. If we're doing shore dives at Sundrock during the weekends I can do that easily.
Scuba Diving isn't about one's ego but about having fun and doing dives you feel comfortable doing.
Ashi's Photo Gallery
Rod Crocker
Just Settling In

Post by Rod Crocker »

I don't know the South Sound at all, but if we could do a boat dive I'm up for it.
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Post by ashitaka666 »

@ Rod Crocker

I'll get the GPS Cords from Jamie for Flag Pole site or I maybe able to find it online. It's an amazing site and can be a bit current sensitive. Last time we all dove there there we had to work against a current getting to the bouy but once we got down there's a slight current that helped us on the E, NE of the boulder pile (If you're using the flagpole as north.)
There's a chance for octo, wolf eels and on the surface there's about 5 eagles that have nests in the trees at that spot too.

Also here's the GPS Cord for the boat launch (Not sure if you know already.)
47.66001, -122.9218
Ashi's Photo Gallery