Task Loading!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Task Loading!

Post by Dusty2 »

Hows this for some serious task loading? I'd love to see how he gets back in the boat with all that gear!
fully loaded.jpg
60south
Pelagic

Re: Task Loading!

Post by 60south »

Now THAT would be a great tattoo!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dusty2 wrote:Hows this for some serious task loading? I'd love to see how he gets back in the boat with all that gear!
fully loaded.jpg

Well- he DOES seem to have some extra stuff, but, believe it or not, that's not too bad, for a deep dive- I only see two bailout bottles. And you really can't climb the ladder with all of that- you hand stuff back up to the deckhand one piece at a time until you're light enough to come back up.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Hey Josh, help a non-rebreather guy out. What are the 3 quick connect hoses that attached to the counter lung on his chest from?
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

blackwater wrote:Hey Josh, help a non-rebreather guy out. What are the 3 quick connect hoses that attached to the counter lung on his chest from?

I can't be sure, because people do all kinds of different things with their kits, but:

The Green hose on the diver's right is probably 02 from the small tank on the CCR
one of the Blue connections on the diver's left is probably from the small dilluent tanks on the CCR (air or trimix)
and the other blue connection is probably from one of the offboard Bailout cylinders- it could contain virtually any breathable gas, depending on the diver's needs or goals: redundant 02, or redundant Diluent, or perhaps eanx- some guys I dive with like to flush all the trimix out of their loop at around 70' using 32-40% nitrox.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Yeah, it DOES look pretty normal for a deep dive. All of that crap in the middle is his camera system!

I don't know why he'd be sitting there with all of it, though....he must be a helluva lot tougher than I am! I normally have my bailout tanks clipped on after I've stood up and just before I enter the water, then I have my camera system handed down to me once I'm in the water.

Like Josh said, we then hand it all up a piece at a time to the DM or deckhand before clambering up the ladder. At that point the CCR is the only thing that you have on you, which isn't much more in weight than an AL80 rig.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Gawd, looks like an OCD's worst nightmare.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

That water behind him looks a bit rough, perhaps that's why he's geared up but sitting down.

If the boat has a davit, all he needs is a lift-point.
:thumb3d:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dashrynn wrote:Gawd, looks like an OCD's worst nightmare.

...or an OCD's wet dream. Folks with OCD tendencies usually make pretty good tech divers, because they get off on checking their gear over and over again.

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:

...or an OCD's wet dream. Folks with OCD tendencies usually make pretty good tech divers, because they get off on checking their gear over and over again.
True I forgot the other side, the ones I know dislike clutter.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dashrynn wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Eye of the beholder, and all that- the guy in the picture looks fairly squared away to me- but I can see how it looks like a scuba garage sale, too- without seeing him in the water actually *diving*, it's hard to be sure.

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Eye of the beholder, and all that- the guy in the picture looks fairly squared away to me- but I can see how it looks like a scuba garage sale, too- without seeing him in the water actually *diving*, it's hard to be sure.
I do have a question about one piece of gear. The strobe on top of the two reels, what's it for, besides the obvious?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dashrynn wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

I do have a question about one piece of gear. The strobe on top of the two reels, what's it for, besides the obvious?
Beats me. One of my buddies has a backup light mounted to his primary- partly to help him see what he's doing when he ties off, and partly because sometimes we'll reel from point A (downline, for example) to point B (shipwreck, for example), and then secure the reel to the wreck, visibility permitting. The light provides a visual reference, in the event we decide to go wandering around. It's a "sometimes it's handy" kind of a thing. Maybe that's what this guy is doing. Plus, his gear makes me think he's a Brit, and everyone knows they're crazy.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

60south wrote:That water behind him looks a bit rough, perhaps that's why he's geared up but sitting down.

If the boat has a davit, all he needs is a lift-point.
:thumb3d:
Yeh, That's what I was thinking on both points. It's great fun handing up gear and tryin not to get pounded by the ladder when the boats rolling in heavy water like that. That's when a really good DM earns his pay.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I was actually taught in my UTD T1 class to consider putting a strobe on the bottom of the downline, especially in very poor viz, to aid in relocating it. It seemed like a pretty good idea to me, even if I couldn't seem to remember to do it . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I just noticed that his camera is on a tripod. I'd really like to know more about this location and perhaps see the pictures he took.

Dusty, any additional info on this pic?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Task Loading!

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:I was actually taught in my UTD T1 class to consider putting a strobe on the bottom of the downline, especially in very poor viz, to aid in relocating it. It seemed like a pretty good idea to me, even if I couldn't seem to remember to do it . . .
SOP for us. Each team puts a strobe on the downline. Last team makes sure to trip the grapple before they leave the wreck.

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Task Loading!

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
LCF wrote:I was actually taught in my UTD T1 class to consider putting a strobe on the bottom of the downline, especially in very poor viz, to aid in relocating it. It seemed like a pretty good idea to me, even if I couldn't seem to remember to do it . . .
SOP for us. Each team puts a strobe on the downline. Last team makes sure to trip the grapple before they leave the wreck.
Minus the strobe (which we have thought of but lacked resources at the time) that was taught in Chad 101 :queenliz: . Normally though it's me doing the "tripping" or line running which, I do believe is, good training. To Chad I'm sure it's cheap labor :smt064 :penelope:
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

So I'm looking at that guys DSV.... and it's just a Dive Valve?.. how does he close it??
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Forget getting on the boat ... I'm wondering how he gets OFF?

Having gone through a typical boat gate in sidemount, I can tell you they're not real wide ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

60south wrote:I just noticed that his camera is on a tripod. I'd really like to know more about this location and perhaps see the pictures he took.

Dusty, any additional info on this pic?
Sorry Glen it was just something I came across on facebook
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Geek wrote:So I'm looking at that guys DSV.... and it's just a Dive Valve?.. how does he close it??
It's the standard inspiration mouthpiece (although the lungs have been modded for extra diluent feed, the rest looks stock).

The outer shell rotates completely. The bite part is held in the mouth. If it's well greased, it's a one handed operation :) (insert dirty comment)

They make aftermarket screws which have a long stem on them and can make opening or closing the dsv a lot easier.

He's pretty clearly a Brit. The rest of the world ditches the crappy AutoAir unit (kind of like an Air2) for a more sensible inflator right off the bat. They're just as crappy with CCR as they are OC...and quality-wise the AutoAir is even worse.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

If I remember correctly, the color coding of the top portion of the tank means something in Europe. ie. black and white for nitrox and air, green quarters for helium blends etc.... Can't remember how to decipher that in my old age though.... Not even sure if they still use that system over there but you can clearly see the black and white "colour" scheme on this guys bail out bottles.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh