It was nice while it lasted . . .

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Double check any tables used are DST adjusted correctly.

Doug - new forecast:
TONIGHT AND SAT
S WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. A
CHANCE OF RAIN.

Getting better.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

By all means go ... if the south wind's kicking up too much, stop at Langley on your way back. It's not as nice a site, but it's always good when Keystone's not.

BTW - I'll be at Sekiu Jetty tomorrow ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:Double check any tables used are DST adjusted correctly.

Doug - new forecast:
TONIGHT AND SAT
S WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. A
CHANCE OF RAIN.

Getting better.
I did, the tables have been updated.

Looks like things are backing down a bit. If it is anything like today, it will be a glorious day for a dive.

Email me your address once again, I'll pick you up at 7:30.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

What a great dive!

Keystone is a wonderful, unique place. Jan, I can see why you spend so much time there.

We splashed probably a half hour before slack, made it to the end of the jetty and turned with a bit of current carrying us back. Slack happened middle of the jetty, and just a bit of current to swim against the last 5-10 minutes of the dive.

Was diving with LCF, CaptJack and the gang. I was shocked by the amount of life on that jetty. Probably the best shore dive I've done in Washington.

Vis was decent, a bit sandy, but clear water and good ambient light.

Second dive was at Langley. Which is the world's largest collection of sunken tires and it has some starfish and stuff on it.

Highlight there was Richard tossing an OOA at me at the end in about 20 fsw, I got him on my long hose, and then he signals me to shoot a bag. I shoot the bag, we go up. Not super-duper pretty, but we got the job done and hit the stops (although Richard called them because I brain-farted on that one). Managing a bag with someone on your long hose is interesting to say the least. I'm just happy I didn't take us both on an elevator ride to the top. Great learning experience.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah, Keystone is the best shore dive I've done in the Sound. I think you could honestly spend a whole hour on about ten feet of the rocks, and not have seen everything that was there to be seen. I'm glad conditions cooperated with us today.

At the end of the Langley dive, I had come to a conclusion forced by an hour of observation: Starfish eat silt. This comes from the fact that those were the two things we saw . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I am so glad you guys made it and had a good dive here on Whidbey, sorry I did not make it today, the weather was just right for catching up with paperwork which I neglected whole week ( I was diving :supz: ) and I figured there will be enough divers crowding the Jetty without me adding to the multitudes. Next time. I hope you will come back !
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Amazingly, our group was almost completely alone at Keystone yesterday. There was one pair of brand new divers (got their cards last week) who had braved the weather in wetsuits (brrr!) and that was all. A van pulled up as we were packing to leave. I was very surprised that they would want to dive then, as the current was picking up pretty quickly when we exited.

But it was sure fun to have the whole jetty to ourselves. We wouldn't have had that with yesterday's tides in July!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounds like a nice day at Keystone ... =D> It's one of my favorite dive sites, especially when conditions let us do a second dive over in the pilings.

Langley is a hit-or-miss kind of site ... I've had dives there when it was like swimming in an aquarium, with 40 foot vis, schooling fish everywhere, and tons of cool sightings in and around the tires ... and I've had dives there when all we saw was starfish and silt.

Sounds like y'all got the latter ...

Cheng and I did a very nice dive at Sekiu Jetty yesterday. It rained heavily the entire way up there, and the whole time we were there, and the whole way back to Port Angeles. But the dive itself was very nice. Vis was about 35 feet when we got in and deteriorated down to about 20 feet by the time we got out ... 72 minutes later.

Photo show from Sekiu ... not as much exciting to see as last year, but still nice ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Uk6zg3sX

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:and I've had dives there when all we saw was starfish and silt.
Starfish, silt, a pack of perch, and tires. Lots and lots of tires. Who is the idiota that came up with that as a breakwater?

As usual, nice pics Bob.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lots of convict fish and the school of perch.