Tuesday 11/15 Mukilteo?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Tuesday 11/15 Mukilteo?

Post by Nwbrewer »

Looks like my buddy won't be able to make it this afternoon. Gear is in the car, anybody want to go do a dive at Mukilteo around 3:30?

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Cmjstealth
Avid Diver

Re: Tuesday 11/15 Mukilteo?

Post by Cmjstealth »

I might be able to. Give me a call 360-421-0744.
Cmjstealth
Avid Diver

Post by Cmjstealth »

Thanks for the dive gentlemen. Here is some of the video I got with my GoPro experiment. I have a whole list of tweaks to improve it for next time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5osHLd5Simc[/youtube]
Attachments
IMG_1855.JPG
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Pretty cool setup, kinda shaky though. This guy has the gopro thing down.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/14188947[/vimeo]

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/13426349[/vimeo]

Looks like a fun dive. Geodome looks different to me, lots of pipes on the ground, and whats in the middle?

Jake are you always diving sidemont now?

P.S. Nice Snorkel :stir:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

What are your video lights , looks home made.. ?
Go pro video is shakey when you use them without having a steady base mount .. Looks good
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sweet Video! The only thing I'd suggest, (other than making the switchbox waterproof :angelblue: ) would be to try it with some very wide reflectors. I think you're losing a LOT of light out the sides. I'll try and get the video I took posted this weekend so you can see what I mean. I liked the cooler wavelength better, to me it just looked a little more natural, and carried a bit further, which you can see in a few of the shots.
sheahanmcculla wrote:
Jake are you always diving sidemont now?
Nah, but I'd been dry for 2 months so I'd been making tweaks to it and stuff, and I rebuilt my left post reg, so I wanted a shakedown dive. Since Paulicarp was kind enough to loan me his half full al80 of 32% it seemed like a good day for it.

For a dive where a single al80 is sufficient (diving with newbies at EUP or something) it's really sweet to be able to just hustle down to the water and throw is on. 2xSM tanks is a little more juggling unless you wear the tanks to the water. Trying to get both bottles all clipped in without loosing my fins I haven't mastered yet. It's incredibly comfortable in the water though. I want to try it from a boat and see how I feel about it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Cmjstealth
Avid Diver

Post by Cmjstealth »

Actually that version ended up not really having reflectors at all. :dontknow: While it has a small plastic one inside I didn't give it any reflective material before casting so the light pretty much goes in all direction. The next two that I made I added a white coating to the backside which I hope will improve things slightly... I'm also trying to find a silver nitrate paint I can use on the sides as well (if you know of any that works well for plastic without needing primer let me know). Will see how it goes... my hope was to get a wide 150 deg or so spread without requiring a diffuser.

Yeah, it is not smooth at all - you should have seen it before I added software image stabilization with my video editor! I'm sure I can improve a bit through better technique but curious if I could build something for the base to help also. Dampening spring? A gyro stabilization motor cast inside a small block? :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Cmjstealth wrote: Dampening spring? A gyro stabilization motor cast inside a small block? :supz:
Dive more, work on your buoyancy.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

My video from the dive. I cheated off Curtis' video lights a bit, and after reviewing the video I pretty convinced that I need some video lights. Guess I have a new project!

Jake

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/32367426[/vimeo]