Anybody else jonesing?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Anybody else jonesing?

Post by Joshua Smith »

pensacoladiver wrote:what are you all talking about? I have 15 dives since the New Year... oh, wait, I am in the other corner of the country. Have fun with that white stuff.

This was earlier in the week.
Guy Harvey Jan 2012.png
Notice, no hood... although I am in a 5 mil Farmer John now :neener:

Chris, MZ, and the Arnolds have all come down... where is everyone else. I'm only here for another 20 months then who knows where.
Who do I bribe to make sure your next posting is watching some obscure ammo dump outside of Fargo, ND? :mrgreen:

Nah. I hope its somewhere good, like San Diego, so I can come visit too.

We're pretty much snowbound here at home. Plenty of provisions laid in, house is warm and cozy, but I wish I was diving. I've had too many bad experiences driving in the snow around here. I mean, I grew up in Albuquerque, ffs, and people are way smarter about driving in the snow back there. That, and the thought of trying to clean my gear in the driveway, has got me sitting on my butt playing Call of Duty and surfing the web.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I haven't been wet since when I was in Sitka. Fist I was sick, then I discovered my DS zipper was fragged by being packed up for the flights back. I didn't get a chance to install a replacement over the holidays and now I'm in the middle of Indiana for a couple more weeks. At least I haven't had a surgeon snipping around my nether regions.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Driving in this weather not a good idea, not at least for Seattle. I went for a nice long walk today and I was surprised at the significant number of near misses. If there's a Higher Power protecting fools, he surely was busy on Bainbridge today!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Sorry I can't feel your pain. I just finished my fourth dive of the day with six tarpon picking off any fish I left my dive light on for more than a couple seconds. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh.......... Bonaire! :taco: :partyman:
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mateo1147 wrote:Sorry I can't feel your pain. I just finished my fourth dive of the day with six tarpon picking off any fish I left my dive light on for more than a couple seconds. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh.......... Bonaire! :taco: :partyman:
I'm gonna ship you up to Fargo with Pensacola.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Joshua Smith wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:what are you all talking about? I have 15 dives since the New Year... oh, wait, I am in the other corner of the country. Have fun with that white stuff.

This was earlier in the week.
Guy Harvey Jan 2012.png
Notice, no hood... although I am in a 5 mil Farmer John now :neener:

Chris, MZ, and the Arnolds have all come down... where is everyone else. I'm only here for another 20 months then who knows where.
Who do I bribe to make sure your next posting is watching some obscure ammo dump outside of Fargo, ND? :mrgreen:

Nah. I hope its somewhere good, like San Diego, so I can come visit too.

We're pretty much snowbound here at home. Plenty of provisions laid in, house is warm and cozy, but I wish I was diving. I've had too many bad experiences driving in the snow around here. I mean, I grew up in Albuquerque, ffs, and people are way smarter about driving in the snow back there. That, and the thought of trying to clean my gear in the driveway, has got me sitting on my butt playing Call of Duty and surfing the web.
+1 for San Diego. I can never have enough friends in San Diego.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Hey lynn.. Just scuba dive in yr swimming pool..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

Luckily, I don't get home-bound by snow since the bank took away my house on the hill. Unfortunately, I've been dry since Thanksgiving on Maui. Anyone know of any good jobs in Seattle so I can dive more? 20 yrs as a real estate broker, 10 years land development experience, licensed general contractor, experience with construction estimating / sales / customer service, management background, education in criminal justice, business administration, auto / diesel mechanics, real estate (in other words, 3 community college degrees in basketweaving but with recent writing, computer, and algebra classes to finally get an Associate Degree), just need a little time off to dive (I'm working 3 jobs now to make 1/4 what I did before the crash). No problem with drug or background tests, but a credit check wouldn't be pretty right now...

Anyway, I guess you could say I'm Jonesing too!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well the good news is it ain't snowing this morning ... the bad news is it's freezing rain. Walked out the door and quickly discovered that crampons would be a good idea ... there's a half-inch of crystal-clear glaze covering everything.

Be careful out there ... lots of people who don't know how to drive in bad street conditions are out driving around. If you're one of 'em, please consider staying home today ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Grateful Diver wrote:Well the good news is it ain't snowing this morning ... the bad news is it's freezing rain. Walked out the door and quickly discovered that crampons would be a good idea ... there's a half-inch of crystal-clear glaze covering everything.

Be careful out there ... lots of people who don't know how to drive in bad street conditions are out driving around. If you're one of 'em, please consider staying home today ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
+1

Step 1 this morning was chiseling my truck out of a block of ice. Freeways don't look to bad, but there's a lot of ice out there.

If you had a bad time driving the last couple of days, please don't drive, today is the worst so far as far as road conditions go.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I got in to work today only to find that the City is officially "closed" for the day. Oh well ... I'm here now ... I ain't leaving until it warms up a bit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I live in Poulsbo but work in Redmond. Being from Buffalo, it's not the roads that scare me, it's the other drivers...
Attachments
atat.jpg
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Chris, to dive in my pool, I'd have to chop a hole in the ice!

So, to add insult to injury, I get up this morning to spend the excessive time on Facebook that's been keeping me entertained, and it seems like everybody and his brother is putting up cave diving pictures from Mexico.

I think anybody who is rubbing our noses in their fun in warm water right now should expect to have his mask ripped off at some inconvenient time . ..
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

LCF wrote: I think anybody who is rubbing our noses in their fun in warm water right now should expect to have his mask ripped off at some inconvenient time . ..
+1 on that!

Talking about adding insult to injury! I have now learned that I am totally addicted to multiple things and that I am no longer a 20th century man. :angry:

Not only am I jonesing about diving last night while I was preparing dinner the power went out! We don't have gas out here so After retiring to the back patio to complete dinner on our grill in the freezing cold I immediately realized that there was absolutely nothing to do and worse I couldn't get on the net to visit my #1 site (NWDC) No power means no internet + no heat + I can't work on lights + and nothing to do.

The power just came back on and look where I am! Couldn't wait to get back on the forum. 16 hours without power and I'm a complete wreck!

So, Addiction #1 diving/photography, #2 NWDC, #3 internet, #4 building can lights and the biggest of all "ELECTRICITY" without which I cannot do # 2, 3, or 4! :queenliz:
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

we should all be so lucky >.< haha
renoun wrote: At least I haven't had a surgeon snipping around my nether regions.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I remember telling myself that I am NOT going to spend a ton of time here on NWDC, and that my presence here is only until I am well enough to get back in the water.. I bought tapatalk for my phone and dont see myself going anywhere for quite some time.. all of my friends are SO sick of hearing about diving/dive related stuff that I have been ex-communicated as of late =P I dont know a single one of you (that I regularly speak to/respond to) yet and you've already become 90% of my social interaction.. *face-palm*
Dusty2 wrote:
LCF wrote: I think anybody who is rubbing our noses in their fun in warm water right now should expect to have his mask ripped off at some inconvenient time . ..
+1 on that!

Talking about adding insult to injury! I have now learned that I am totally addicted to multiple things and that I am no longer a 20th century man. :angry:

Not only am I jonesing about diving last night while I was preparing dinner the power went out! We don't have gas out here so After retiring to the back patio to complete dinner on our grill in the freezing cold I immediately realized that there was absolutely nothing to do and worse I couldn't get on the net to visit my #1 site (NWDC) No power means no internet + no heat + I can't work on lights + and nothing to do.

The power just came back on and look where I am! Couldn't wait to get back on the forum. 16 hours without power and I'm a complete wreck!

So, Addiction #1 diving/photography, #2 NWDC, #3 internet, #4 building can lights and the biggest of all "ELECTRICITY" without which I cannot do # 2, 3, or 4! :queenliz:
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

SeanKylgod wrote:I dont know a single one of you (that I regularly speak to/respond to) yet and you've already become 90% of my social interaction.. *face-palm*
Welcome to the club! (double entrendre) Those of us on the Peninsula Side may not get over to The Mainland very often, so we live vicariously through their social circles while secretly relishing the quality of our local diving.

To everyone grousing about having a snowstorm and not being able to dive, all I have to say is try living in Colorado. Waaa waaa waaa. [sarcasm]I'm cryin' for ya.[/sarcasm]
:crybaby:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We ventured forth briefly to the grocery store and (wait for it) the DIVE SHOP today. Total distance driven: about two miles too far. Roads are extremely slick and not everyone on them is driving something that ought to be moving in this weather. I have never watched my rear-view mirror so closely!

Still snowing . . . sigh.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Got a call from Cheng yesterday morning around 9 AM ... power was out. I told her to call me back in an hour if it wasn't back on yet and I'd come home and hook up the generator.

Power is still out as of when I came to work this morning. We had neighbors over last night to share our heat and light ... offered to let 'em stay the night, but they insisted it'd be fun to hunker down to sleep in front of the fireplace.

Today the flooding begins ... and I earn every dive the City has ever paid me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote:... and I earn every dive the City has ever paid me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
UBER COOL!!!! The city pays you in DIVES????? :smt064

(Yeah....I know that you meant "dime", but I simply couldn't resist!!!)

- John :rawlings:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well for me I cannot hear the quiet over the noisy generator running and I have been a busy man making sure my two houses with generators stay up and running so :boxer: BRING IT!!! mother nature

I was driving<<<(with an R) yesterday and was just about to pass under a tree when I see alot of ice come falling down and BANG, but no damage to the Ford F250.

I have had no problems driving but there really are some stupid people out there. If the traffic lights out it is a 4WAY STOP!!!! I had a guy in another pickup in the left lane at a power out traffic light blow by me as i was stopping in the right llane and he turned right. :eek: He is lucky that he did not slide out and hit the 2 cars in the other intersection. :nutty:
Jeff Castor
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:... and I earn every dive the City has ever paid me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
UBER COOL!!!! The city pays you in DIVES????? :smt064

(Yeah....I know that you meant "dime", but I simply couldn't resist!!!)

- John :rawlings:
The City would be happy to pay me in dives ... if I didn't mind diving in the clarifiers.

What the hey ... the ducks seem to like it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)