I've Got Gills

Helium Shortage

Post by spatman »

Last I heard, there is no shortage.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Helium Shortage

Post by CaptnJack »

doublesunder wrote:What's everyone been hearing?
The same story since about 2005...
The US helium reserve is being drawn down per laws passed in roughly the 1980s under Reagan. We don't need it to inflate dirigibles anymore. My price has not moved in 3 or 4 years though, $120 for a T (290cf)

There's craploads of helium being extracted in Russian with oil and gas production, its just not worth it to seperate, package and ship it anywhere else yet. At some point when the US strategic reserve is low enough and the price has climbed enough, they will start reclaiming and selling that helium.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Thats good new's for sure, recently heard after getting tanks filled that supplier was unable to acquire more.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

doublesunder wrote:Thats good new's for sure, recently heard after getting tanks filled that supplier was unable to acquire more.
Sounds like typical gas business BS. They probably didn't pay their bill...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Been wanting to try neon for a while anyway.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

The latest supply squeeze was caused by a helium plant outage in Wyoming back in August and September. This has mostly affected gas distributors that are supplied by Airgas Industries. The root of the problem is that current supply nearly matches demand, so an outage usually translates into a shortage. Valentines Day (and all those Helium filled balloons) creates a sharp increase in demand so many flower shops were unable to get Helium this month.

Local suppliers that do not get there gas from Airgas have told me that they, "have plenty of Helium", and I have had no trouble getting any (as recently as last week). :angelblue:

YMMV,
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Burntchef wrote:Been wanting to try neon for a while anyway.
Nah, Hydrogen. Let's burn those lungs right the first time!

D
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

boydski wrote:....Local suppliers that do not get there gas from Airgas have told me that they, "have plenty of Helium", and I have had no trouble getting any (as recently as last week)...
+1
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

boydski wrote:The latest supply squeeze was caused by a helium plant outage in Wyoming back in August and September. This has mostly affected gas distributors that are supplied by Airgas Industries. The root of the problem is that current supply nearly matches demand, so an outage usually translates into a shortage. Valentines Day (and all those Helium filled balloons) creates a sharp increase in demand so many flower shops were unable to get Helium this month.

Local suppliers that do not get there gas from Airgas have told me that they, "have plenty of Helium", and I have had no trouble getting any (as recently as last week). :angelblue:

YMMV,

Thanks Scott, I think you might be on to something. I Just filled my tanks this past weekend, and they did mention Airgas was their supplier.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

defied wrote:

D
Neon is inert and has been used for commercial and some old school deep diving, just very very expensive.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Burntchef wrote:
defied wrote:

D
Neon is inert and has been used for commercial and some old school deep diving, just very very expensive.
I am familiar with that, thanks. 0] Hydrogen makes a prettier popping sound underwater.

D