Redondo 2/17/12 - Better late than never...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders and I did two dives on Friday night. It was pouring down rain, I was hoping to meet some other divers but there wasn't a soul out there. We dropped in for our first dive about 4:00pm. Went down the line and then headed down to the bottle field. We kept moving past the pier up to the boat ramp. 2nd dive was a simple, down the line to the VW and back. When we came up, we both commented on the decent viz and lack of things to take pictures of. When I got home to review my photos, Redondo always delivers. I am not sure why this site is so photography friendly, but I always seem to get cool photos of the most common subjects. Whereas Les Davis and Three Tree are the opposite. I can see the same two things at these sites and my Redondo photos always seem to come out better. I wonder if it is in my head :nutty:

Have a great week everyone and hope to see you out there soon!
Attachments
IMG_8272.jpg
IMG_8271.jpg
IMG_8252.jpg
IMG_8230.jpg
IMG_8237.jpg
IMG_8275.jpg
IMG_8276.jpg
IMG_8282.jpg
IMG_8291.jpg
IMG_8229.jpg
IMG_8218.jpg
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo 2/17/12 - Better late than never...

Post by oldsalt »

While all of the pictures are cool, I especially like the little shrimp hitchhiking on the small medusa. Maybe someone else will identify these animals so I don't have to look them up.
Happy to be alive.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Yeah, my buddy thought I was narked because I was kneeling and looking up at it. It was tiny and moving all over the place. I was fortunate to get one shot of it, even though it is a little fuzzy.

I should place the names under the photo, I do have Mr Lamb's book to help me. :)
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

These are some beautiful photos! You've got a very artistic eye!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Octoloco wrote:These are some beautiful photos! You've got a very artistic eye!
Thanks Octoloco, I appreciate it!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That pic of the Golden nudibranch (next to the last)is awesome! Best I've seen The one above it is a Janolus fuscus and another great shot.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

D2, Thanks. When I swam up on the Golden I thought, "Wow that thing is beautiful!" I like the fact that is was in an area with nothing distracting around it (i.e. shell, kelp, bottles). When I pulled it up on my computer I noticed the rhinophores, an added bonus in the shot :-) BTW - When you heading to PT again?
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Nice shots, Jesse!

"It was a dark and stormy night" would have accurately described our evening. We started our first dive in calm waters, and ascended to big wind and sizeable waves. Trying to take pictures of lumpies at 6fsw while being tossed by the surge was an effort in futility.

I finally managed to go through my shots from the night, here's a few of the better ones.
Gunnel 1.JPG
Lumpy 3.JPG
Lumpy 2.JPG
Lumpy 1.JPG
Northern Kelp Crab.JPG
Red Flabellina.JPG
Red Octo 1.JPG
Shaggy 1.JPG
Stubby 3.JPG
Stubbies have eyelids?
Stubbies have eyelids?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That crab shot just made me want to break out into the Hallelujah Chorus!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders! Good job. Your Nudi's are pretty sweet and I really like the 1st Stubby. It looks like you are already in a grove with that new housing :-)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

That red light really does the trick on those stubby pics. It's nice to see them with their eyes open.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Both sets are great! And no it's not just you, Redondo delivers like no other.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Lynn - that was exactly my thought when I spotted him. Several others nearby were poised just like him - almost like a choir.

Ron - too true. The red light seems to mesmerize many of the normally shy critters. I've had several lumpies actually crowd me while chasing towards the light to the point where I can't get a shot off. The young wolf eel seems to like it too.

Yep, always something to find at The 'Dond - especially at night.