Recommendations for Dive Log PC Software

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

I need to keep an accurate dive log for every dive I make, and being a PC kind of guy, gave up on the paper dive log years ago. I've been using Oceanic's Oceanlog. It's been OK, but full of bugs and occasional frustrations. It works well to download dive data from my ProPlus2.

Now I've added an Atomic Cobalt to the mix of my computers, and would like to "upgrade" my dive log software. Does anyone have recommendations? Has anyone used Diving Log 5.0 or other similar software for use on Windows 7 devices?

I see there are some old threads on this subject, but nothing in the last couple of years. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Recommendations for Dive Log PC Software

Post by viperwsu »

Are you just looking for something to record the data (i.e. enter it by hand) or something that'll pull it from multiple types of computers?

Are you enough of a "PC Guy" to create and use a simple database?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I use Dive Log 4 and it works well. Sql backend so you can write your own queries if you need. Not a bad prgram.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I use Divelog 5.0 and dig it. I wont say it's without bugs but it's been very friendly. I like it way better than anything I've used suunto dive manager, scubapro log, oceanic dive log and a couple other third party styles.
Personally I have done nothing better than 5.0
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

I want to be able to download data from either of my dive computers. The software should then have the ability for me to add notes and other info, just like in a paper log. As I mentioned, Oceanlog does this OK but not great.

I'm thinking of giving DiveLog 5.0 a try. That is, unless I hear feedback from someone who knows of something better. Any input appreciated!
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

One word for ya Tom, iMac.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Linedog wrote:One word for ya Tom, iMac.
Isn't that the movie theater with the really big screen? :neener:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

Yeah, I know that debate. A number of times I've threatened to pitch my PC and trudge down to the Apple store. We should save that debate for a computer geek forum. Chris, I would be interested to see what you're doing with the Mac.
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I use Mac-dive on my iMac with my Pro Plus.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Norris wrote:I use Dive Log 4 and it works well. Sql backend so you can write your own queries if you need. Not a bad prgram.
Actually it's an MS Access database. Even easier!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

airsix wrote:
Norris wrote:I use Dive Log 4 and it works well. Sql backend so you can write your own queries if you need. Not a bad prgram.
Actually it's an MS Access database. Even easier!
Correction - you are right sir.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I also use DiveLog 5. I have not had any real issues with it. I can add all my notes etc. Very easy to use.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Another nice thing about Diving Log 5 (was Diving Log 4, etc.) is that it interfaces with almost every dive computer on the planet. I've imported dives from 3 different computers over the years. That level of cross-compatibility is extremely convenient.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

Are-Jay
Just Settling In

Post by Are-Jay »

Here's another vote for Diving Log 5.0. Another nice feature that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to interface with an iPad/iPhone or android.

I can make a new dive log on my iPhone or iPad, put in all the comments and dive info and have someone sign it using a stylus or their finger if I care about that. Once I'm home I'll sync my phone and PC version of Diving Log 5.0 and then up load the actual dive profile from my Shearwater to my PC and finish the log entry off. You can then sync again and have an exact duplicate of your log with the profile back on the mobile device.

Another nice feature I found in the program is it has the ability to export printable logs in .pdf format. On every other electronic log program there is no feature to back it up with a paper copy.

Just a note, the mobile version was $12.00 in addition to the PC version.

Cheers,
RJ
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm sold. I just downloaded Dive Log 5.0 and imported my old log book from Oceanlog. I then downloaded dives from my ProPlus2 and Cobalt. I'm very impressed with how easy this was and how I can customize the fields and the layouts.

After I settle in with this, I'll add the iPhone app to the mix.
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
Are-Jay
Just Settling In

Post by Are-Jay »

I'm glad you like it. I found 99% of the things I wanted to do were easy and intuitive but one hint, I'm not sure if you dive doubles or not, but to change from a single tank to doubles you click the tank icon next to the box for tank volume. That drove me nuts for about an hour until I figured it out. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

RJ
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

Are-Jay wrote:I'm glad you like it. I found 99% of the things I wanted to do were easy and intuitive but one hint, I'm not sure if you dive doubles or not, but to change from a single tank to doubles you click the tank icon next to the box for tank volume. That drove me nuts for about an hour until I figured it out. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

RJ
I do dive doubles when I'm not doing recreational dives. Thanks for the tip. I was searching through the software and the web to figure this out when I saw your post.
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
Are-Jay
Just Settling In

Post by Are-Jay »

Glad I could help.
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

You can also do it in Table mode if you have lots of logs to change at once.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Domer Down wrote:Thanks for all of the advice. I'm sold. I just downloaded Dive Log 5.0 and imported my old log book from Oceanlog. I then downloaded dives from my ProPlus2 and Cobalt. I'm very impressed with how easy this was and how I can customize the fields and the layouts.

After I settle in with this, I'll add the iPhone app to the mix.
Great to hear this. Though I don't have a puter yet (I'm just started my OW this week), I was looking into DL 5.0 and it did sound pretty good. Glad to see some others that like it.

Once I get that far I am going to get it.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.