Sharpie removal

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Sharpie removal

Post by Nwbrewer »

Anybody have some tips on getting sharpie off galvanized steel tanks?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Sharpie removal

Post by Linedog »

Try soaking the area with isopropyl alcohol.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

fingernail polish remover often works well ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

if all else fails try Acetone or M.E.K.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hmmmm, Stolen tanks eh? :pirate:

try lacquer thinner, or acetone
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Don-B wrote:if all else fails try Acetone or M.E.K.

MEK seems to have gotten most of it. Enough that it's nicely faded. Why he felt the need to write his name in block letters down the tank on both sides is beyond me.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:

MEK seems to have gotten most of it. Enough that it's nicely faded. Why he felt the need to write his name in block letters down the tank on both sides is beyond me.
Probably a narcicist. Might even be a moderator.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Off Topic: Since diving with the GUE folks, many have their names in decals on their tanks. Makes it really easy in a group to tell who is who, if there isn't something already distinguishable about them..
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff Pack wrote:Off Topic: Since diving with the GUE folks, many have their names in decals on their tanks. Makes it really easy in a group to tell who is who, if there isn't something already distinguishable about them..
I'm the guy in the group with no tank on my back, goofy homemade canlight, and yellow spring straps. I don't need a bunch of sharpie on my tanks for people to know where I am.
airsix wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

Probably a narcicist. Might even be a moderator.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Or just watch for the fish fleeing?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Just so there's no confusion, I was joking (because I think Jake's tanks came from our awesome COO) and think prominent gear marking of some kind (name, initials, turtle stickers, whatever) is a very practical thing to have both in and out of the water.
Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:Just so there's no confusion, I was joking (because I think Jake's tanks came from our awesome COO) and think prominent gear marking of some kind (name, initials, turtle stickers, whatever) is a very practical thing to have both in and out of the water.
Ben
Nope, actually came from Craigslist. Some sort of tank marking is one thing (I have something on all my tanks) this was just excessive....

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:Nope, actually came from Craigslist. Some sort of tank marking is one thing (I have something on all my tanks) this was just excessive....
My bad.
Spatty gets to take a penalty shot.

Ben
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I like Jake and all, but there is no way he's getting my Worthies. Nope, not happening. To anyone, ever. Mine. My Worthies.

jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Nwbrewer wrote:

When there are 10 Identical sets of doubles at the neighborhood fill station it really helps to be able to know what belongs to who. Just differentiating them is helpful. You know, a lot of chatting going on in the evening when all get together to fill 'em up and one can get distracted :)

Jerry