Cove 2 Line and Buoy Project status

General banter about diving and why we love it.
RDW
Aquaphile

Cove 2 Line and Buoy Project status

Post by RDW »

OK all you Cove 2 explorers, the latest skinny on the Cove...
As of today:
We (Jim Boon, Fritz & Joyce Merkel and yours truly) did a survey run and marked the 150ft distance from the Taxi dock
out to the Cove 2 area. The rebuilding of the taxi dock caused some major trashing and movement of the boundary line.
By stretching a "calibrated" 150ft line from said dock and out, we noted the new distance and dropped 6 markers.
Then we ran some reel-line connecting the markers (re-bar stakes with flagging tape). It should be noted that the off limit area boundary is about 20-ish feet further north. Yes, we gained some space. Also, the new deep buoy will end-up very darn near the "GPO bins". It appears the "bins" will be right on the line, not in the old "no dive area". I will make sure that the new anchor block will not be right on top or next to these "GPO bins" (For obvious reasons). Please! If you see the orange colored line running from a series a re-bar stakes, that is the new line to help guide the buoy anchor and new line location. Please don't remove them. We (me) now have the materials to build the new system. (Thanks to hard work by Jim Boon). In fact, I've already started construction of the buoy system floats and lines. The goal is to have this pretty much done (phase 1 and 2) by the middle of September at the very latest (I so hope!!) Here's some of the scope of work to be done:

Lift and move the existing anchors pads to the new locations
Install the new buoys up-lines and floats to the pads.
Concurrent with that, a crew can remove the old line and materials and bring them to shore.
Move the old concrete CMU building blocks out to an area in the middle of Cove 2 at about 50ft of depth. Stacking them
loosely to make fish/critter "condo's" and habitat out there. All other old line stuff to be brought up and reused or dumped as trash.
IMPORTANT!! All who work on the project must register with the City of Seattle as Volunteers: On-line registration is here:
http://www.seattle.gov/parks/volunteers/ Scroll down to where it says, "Online Recreation Application". Click that link to get to the form. You will get a reply asking you to submit to a background check. You can ignore that. On the form, in the box under "Assignment Preference" enter Cove 2 diver, rebuild of boundary line and buoys project.
After wards, please send your name to Joyce Merkel. Email here: joyce@merkelclan.com so that we have a list of who is registered for this project. Why all this? 'Cuz we all get covered by the city insurance plan.
We must do all work during the weekday. NO WEEKEND WORK TO BE DONE AT COVE 2! Their orders, not my decision.
I will post some work plans and needs over the next few weeks. I will try to make sure to have some work parties scheduled for a few evenings while we still have daylight burning. Some others will have to be done during the daytime hours.

So, this is where the project is at this time.
Two new anchor pads need to be poured, cured and then dropped into place. That will come later.

There ya go! Now the "visible" work is getting done. I appreciate the patience. All help will be much appreciated.
Schedules to be posted soon! Thanks!
Last edited by RDW on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
RDW
Aquaphile

Re: Cove 2 Line and Buoy Project status

Post by RDW »

Oh! By the way...
You know all that practice you all have done to achieve nice , neutral trim while diving?
You can kiss all that good-bye! Working on this type of project, you will be dragging stuff all over the bottom, kicking up silt and (most likely) you will be kneeling/standing on the bottom on occasion. This is where working inside of a total silt-out cloud becomes a skill. In the trade, it's called, "Growing eyes on your finger-tips". Just an advisement! hehehe...
Randy Williams

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

RDW wrote:Oh! By the way...
You know all that practice you all have done to achieve nice , neutral trim while diving?
You can kiss all that good-bye! Working on this type of project, you will be dragging stuff all over the bottom, kicking up silt and (most likely) you will be kneeling/standing on the bottom on occasion. This is where working inside of a total silt-out cloud becomes a skill. In the trade, it's called, "Growing eyes on your finger-tips". Just an advisement! hehehe...
Heh, yeah, years ago I helped out once at EUP moving some 1,000 pound rocks over to the piles north of the breakwater and once we got them floated, we pushed them into place by getting negative and walking on the bottom. Although, we never quite managed to blow the viz out to zero... :) :smt064
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Joyce did a bit of a photo essay during the work yesterday. :supz:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1054623834 ... e2LineWork

You can see where the re-configured dock allows us to pick up about 15' of new dive space. This is just the preliminary work and the bulk of the work is still in front of us. The new buoy and boundary system comes from a decade of learning, along with deep recesses of Randy's brain. :smt064
The new buoys will be based on the single remaining buoy that seems to have hanged in there for 6 years. The new UW line will float out of the 'muck' for improved visibility. We certainly hope that it will be more robust and maintenance free but UW there is not really any such thing. We want the system to get more regular maintenance. This will improve longevity and safety. The mechanics and responsibility for that will need to be determined.

This project is built on the work of lots of divers that have provided their time and effort in the past. The recent 'heroes' are Jim Boon for patiently working with the City Parks to secure initial funding for supplies (not easy in the current fiscal climate) and Rand Williams for his knowledge of UW work, abundant energy, and incredible generosity in continuing to work with this project. We'll need more bodies for the upcoming work. If you are interested follow the directions Randy posted above. The Marker Buoys are keeping a master list of the volunteers as we cannot get this from the City and we are hoping to pull together the larger dive community to help with this project.

Like any project there are needs for workers and money. We have broken this out into 3 Phases:
1. Buoy Replacement
2. UW boundary line replacement
3. Cove 2 'enhancements'

The City has funded the Buoy Replacement. It's going to be up to the dive community to fund the other 2 phases.
Washington Scuba Alliance [http://www.wascuba.org/] has agreed to bank 'encumbered funds' that will be earmarked for this. They are a tax deductible 501c. Donations can be made to them and targeted specifically for Cove 2. We are looking to get additional funding from the dive shops, dive instructors that use this site, and the dive community at large. If you are so inclined send them a check. Remember that some companies will match funds. In addition I got this from Laura James: "8 hrs of donated time to a non-profit, then Microsoft will also match Time with Money".
We are keeping track of the time spent on this (time arrived until time left) so the City has a reference of the value they are getting out of their portion of this project. Yesterday alone was over 20 man-hours and it was a relative small work party.

Note: This seems to be a Marker Buoy Dive Club Project. Why is that?
The history is somewhat long but along with the Boeing Seahorses, MBDC is a significant reason Cove 2 is available for diving today. Over the years since 2002 we have gotten intermittent funding from the City and worked with the dive community to maintain the boundary. The shower there is part of those efforts also.
This particular project is due to the efforts of MBDC member Jim Boon to secure this year's funding and Randy's expertise to install the system. :supz: When you have history, some experience, and a built in Club communications system, it's just less hassle to keep it 'in house'. I want to overcome this limitation if possible and expand the work base. Cove 2 belongs to the whole dive community and should be the concern of all divers that utilize it. That is a LOT of divers!

One of the problems of a project of this type in all volunteer systems is 'who is in charge'? Who is going to do what, how will it be done, and when are they going to do it? This is an ongoing problem. Edmonds UW Park has overcome this limitation due to the tireless energy and persistence of Bruce Higgins. Unless we can come up with a 'Bruce' for Cove 2 the problem of maintenance of Cove 2 will be chronic unless we create a mechanism that can be reliably embraced by the dive community. The various aspects necessary to accomplish this are going to be documented this time and made available. Most of it has been in people's heads and the actual work has been erratic. How to coordinate the multiple facets and faces of the dive community to Cove 2 useable and safe going forward may actually be the most challenging. :)

Fritz Merkel
President - Marker Buoy Dive Club
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

lamont wrote:
Heh, yeah, years ago I helped out once at EUP moving some 1,000 pound rocks over to the piles north of the breakwater and once we got them floated, we pushed them into place by getting negative and walking on the bottom. Although, we never quite managed to blow the viz out to zero... :) :smt064
Hey Lamont!
Oh, you will in good 'ol Cove 2 silt! It'll look like a mass herd of OW students just swam through.
Randy Williams

ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

For those who are new to diving in this area and not 100% clear on what Fritz is referring to...

http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/locations ... arkWA.html

This is what is possible when divers as a community band together and there is consistent (weekly) maintenance to a site.

Every. Week.

To me this is what has to happen at our other dive sites/parks. WE the divers need to take some ownership and commit to improving the habitat we hold so dear. Instead of being simply users of a site we need to become stewards.

This project has a solid core doing the front end work (installing buoys, etc..) but as we have seen through the past 5 or so years, the falling down of Cove 2, despite the thousands of dives done and hundreds of divers frequenting it, there has been intermittent maintenance (as Fritz has mentioned as well). This has to change.

There are loads of dive clubs/shops/groups, and we need to focus the efforts and actually ...WORK TOGETHER! Instead of reinventing the wheel, duplicating efforts, or assuming someone else will just 'take care of it'. SHARE the project info and what needs to be done and how to do it so that there is no single link in the chain that can break and bring the project to a halt.

There are enough independent 'groups' that each could take one weekday day/evening per week (or month) and that would probably cover the first quarter alone before folks had to repeat.

BTW: I'm not just talking Cove 2 here, there are other sites and buoys that need installation/maintenance - Saltwater has been mentioned recently as well. Perhaps WSA (as a nice non-denominational entity and a 501.c for fund raising) could build a list with a schedule that has ALL the sites that are being maintained (even if its just a mooring buoy) in need of funds to complete the 'next steps' or get supplies for maintenance, and a schedule of maintenance that needs to be done. For something like Cove 2 (with Marker Buoy managing the primary work, the list could be -submitted- by them, and WSA just a centralized location that could disseminate the info to the larger diving public as opposed to just club mailing list). This would also make it so divers could also choose to be involved and or donate to a site 'close to home' which historically helps consistency ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Volunteering, Registering, Experience and Reality

Post by fmerkel »

Working on this type of project, you will be dragging stuff all over the bottom, kicking up silt and (most likely) you will be kneeling/standing on the bottom on occasion. This is where working inside of a total silt-out cloud becomes a skill. hehehe...
Kidding aside Randy has a point, an important point. Those of you having done this kind of work already know what you are getting in to. Divers new to underwater work that are interested in joining are welcome but there are some realities to consider. If you've never been in a total silt-out with zero viz, that is a distinct possibility. Buddy skills can become pretty loose to the point of non-existence unless you are very careful and insistent on maintaining said buddy contact. Self sufficiency and a completely redundant air supply is not a bad idea.
Tasks that seem trivial on dry land can become incredibly difficult and frustrating UW :angry: .....then you get silted out....then you lose your buddy.....then you lose track of time and air you are so task loaded all the while your air consumption goes up multiples of what you are accustomed to......you get the picture. :eek: :eek:

A calm demeanor in the water, and a strong sense of confidence, plus a solid dose of diving experience go a long way to making this approachable. This is a long term project ultimately, with opportunities to get in at accessible levels for divers feeling they are ready to move up to this. If you have questions, ask.

Because there are the added hazards of UW work thrown on top of the usual hazards of diving, and this is a City Park we are required to register. Registering confers some insurance-not a bad deal. Go back to the first post for instructions. General questions that everyone might benefit post here. If you have individual questions PM me.
We are also requested to do most of the major work mid-week to minimize impact on the general community but above water and dive.

If you come to a work party and you don't know us, assume we don't know you. We will not know your experience or comfort with this kind of task. This is one of the problems when a project is opened up to a larger community. It's a good problem, but one we need to be aware of and deal with. Honest and open communications between the dive parties, and work organizer BEFORE you hit the water are critical. Don't be shy about backing out if you think you are in over your head....

Fritz Merkel
President - Marker Buoy Dive Club
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
DiveZen
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DiveZen »

This is great work folks. Thank you.

I look forward to helping out with this effort in the future; happy to help with logistics or simply doing some underwater work.

I like the idea of breaking things up into the one time rebuild and an ongoing maintenance plan.

Would the one time rebuild be a good effort to plan for the United Way Day of Caring? If materials can be ready, that might be a great day to get folks out and working above/below the water.

Is there a website where info will be centrally shared / collaborated on?

Let me know how I can help.

Thanks,
John
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

John,

That United Way Day of Caring is a great idea!!!!!! I did not know about it! Thank you for posting!

<edit: unfortunately it looks like deadline is past for creating a 'project', I will put it on my reminders for next year tho>

-Laura
----
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Folks:
I appreciate the input. Good ideas for future plans.
This Cove 2 project has been in the works for awhile now.
Sorry, right now I don't see the need to have a webpage for this project. Maybe later.
Generally, the comms we are using now (this forum and some other direct email) is working well for this
kind of work project. Anyone who has worked in construction management, shipbuilding, home remodeling, government funded projects...you know, the slow and cumbersome stuff. They sometimes take a bit of long range planning and execution.
(plus dumb luck) Once they get going, they do get done. (Eventually) OK, maybe not the Gov't stuff...but you get my drift.
Right now, I am putting together the first few days work-plan. I'm shootin' for a day next week to start the removal of the old stuff. I will ask for help with some basic supplies to help haul the old crap up. More to follow soon. Really, really soon...really! Thanks!
Randy Williams

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Randy, I'm going to pass this information along to our group. As I have mentioned in the past, we have divers who will be more than willing to help with the grunt work, and I think we can probably also help with the fund-raising. Do you have any estimates of the amount of money that needs to be raised for each of the two remaining phases?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Lynne,

Jim Boone has put together an excellent project proposal that he took to the powers that be (and got approval) with design plans, descriptions and he has ALL of the numbers laid out complete with estimated volunteer hours etc... If you are interested in that information and specific details I would recommend contacting Fritz.

It would not be a bad thing to post as public info so that we could have fund raising "goals", but also so that the community at large could see the plan, phases, and costs. Who knows, perhaps someone has stuff that could be used laying around looking for a home! :)

You and Peter are involved with Moss Bay, correct? It would be great to see the clubs and other entities get together collectively behind these projects as well.

Right now, as far as clubs I see Marker Buoy and Boeing Seahorses, WSA and two dive shops. (this info is a week or two old so there could be others on board that I am not yet aware of)
----
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Having led the charge on many non-profit (or even more challenging still, grant-based non-profit) work projects, Fritz, Jim, Joyce and Randy (and the WSA), thanks for taking charge and making it happen for Seattle's most popular dive site yet again. I just want to give you a sincere thank you.

This is the kind of work that doesn't lead to media highlights or public recognition, yet it is the very kind of work that is most important. I always find it interesting that others are happy to point out how other people or groups should lead the charge, but the person doing the suggesting rarely, if ever, actually contributes to a larger-than-themselves, inclusive, and real effort themselves or willingly teams up with others for a shared, common interest. Fortunately it sounds like several groups are organizing for the greater good, and there doing so for all the right reasons, and for that I'm glad. Because that's how REAL work gets done.

All that said, being 8000 miles away puts a crimp in my ability to help out in person, so I will work out donations to WSA for the effort, and I am happy to do so given that distance currently precludes my ability to help in person at the moment. But if you are still working in mid-Sept I am back in town for a goodly chunk of time and I can dive on week days. :)

Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

I'm cobbling together a new Facebook page for the Cove 2 line and buoy project. It's open to all postings, video clips, photo's, etc. As we progress, we hope to document the project with pictures and words (Now, be kind!)!
As usual, you get what you pay for. https://www.facebook.com/seacrestcove2buoywork
Thar ya be!
Randy Williams

RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

We got all sorts of work done at the cove today. Conditions were doo-doo in the water (technical term).
Our work didn't help it at all. The old line has been removed down to about 90ft. The old buoys are now gone too.
An anchor block got moved to the deepest point at about 70ft. That will be buoy #6. Buoy anchor 5 got moved closer to the new line. Low air and really poor (ie: ZERO) viz said enough for the day. More to get moved tomorrow.
Very happy that we got more done than what we had planned on. My deepest thanks for all the hard work goes to the worker gang today. On site:
Fritz and Joyce Merkel
Jim Pappin
Drew Collins
Rich Moore
Kimber Chard
Lynne Flaherty
Yours Truly.

More fun tomorrow as the clean-up of the old line stuff continues. 0900 meet time.
Randy Williams

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I tagged my 'report' onto LCF's warning that the boundary line is gone.
[http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 28#p218918]
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Has anybody given thought to posting notices at the cove noting that the boundary line may not be intact and work is in progress? I get the sense that it is the minority of divers that actually monitor online forums and notices at the site, at shops, and to other local clubs might be useful.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Uh, yeah, we did, then spaced it out. :BDub: I'll try to cobble up something.
Thanks for the reminder.

Well, 7AM and time to go muck up Cove 2 again, though right now it seems to only make a minor difference. :)

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It was great fun today, and quite a diving challenge! Viz in the Cove this morning was truly less than 18 inches -- I couldn't resolve the bottom until I had my face darned near in it. Fritz Merkel and I resurveyed the temporary line underwater, and then ran a shallow line from there to the sea wall rocks. Randy Williams and Dylan Kretchmer hooked some temporary buoys to this line, and Joyce Merkel and several other people whose last names I don't know helped do further cleanup of rope, etc., in the shallows.

So we now have a line of temporary buoys delineating the "forbidden zone", and a temporary line on the bottom which is pretty visible. NONE of this stuff is sturdy enough to be pulled on, so if you try to use the buoys as a down line, you can't touch them. They're tied to rebar that's stuck in the silt, and it will pull out very easily.

A ton of work got done in execrably bad visibility -- a testimonial to what determination and a lot of hands can accomplish!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Thanks again to the hard work by our cove 2 crew today. Like Lynne said, we did get some good work accomplished even with the absolutely rotten viz! There are still some coils and blobs of old line still sitting on the bottom near the 40ft level on the new survey line. Feel free to bring that stuff up and trash it. Thanks!
BTW:
Lost! One 55gal white poly drum (converted to a lifting barrel) attached to a 350lb concrete buoy anchor pad.
We left it on the bottom yesterday because we were in a total silt-out while trying to move the anchor pad.
Today, I didn't get much of a chance to try and locate it. I hope it's still down there! (I can't imagine anyone stuffing it into a drysuit cargo pocket.)
Last seen at about 50-ish feet somewhere between the old line location and the new survey line. If anyone stumbles across it, please let me know the depth, the time (tide calc), any direction, etc. I'd appreciate. Hey! I got about $30 bucks wrapped-up in that thing! Anywho, if you find it, post here or shoot me a PM.
I don't expect that the next work day won't be until next Tuesday morning. Other job schedules are conflicting right now.
There ya be!
Randy Williams