Intro and a couple questions

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LeoWhite
Just Settling In

Intro and a couple questions

Post by LeoWhite »

Hey everyone!!!!

Think that my name is obvious. so here's the rest... I have been certified since 2006. Working on Master Diver, but my instructor moved to NY!!!! I have dove in VA, KS(Yes Kansas, underwater town FTW) and here in WA. I am living in Forks, WA working for the state. I am buddyless, I can't find anyone around here who dives.
I have a PNW .38 Special(Cod Killer) that has not tasted blood yet. If anyone is interested in bagging fish on a random regular basis up here I would love to hear from ya. I used to work on a charter boat, so I am pretty skilled at knocking the sides off of anything we get.
Don't worry everyone, it's not all about hunting fish :) I love diving Sund Rock and some random beach that we hit near Tacoma.

So now for the questions:
1. Where is the nearest safe place to get my air filled? I cannot find a 5 Star PADI anything out here on the Peninsula.
2. Anyone have a favorite dive shop in this area? I am a repeat customer, I don't like bouncing around.
3. Anyone wanna go get wet?
oooh shinies
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Re: Intro and a couple questions

Post by Wagon173 »

I'd love to go with ya, but I'm deployed right now, man. If you still have base access, you can go to north fort and get a fill pretty cheap. In my (short) experience with the PNW, their air bank at fort lewis scuba was broke down half the time. Tacoma scuba was good too! A little more expensive than on post but it's fun to go in a BS with Wally and Josh and it's only a couple bucks difference. If you're on the peninsula you might check out port angelas. They have a CG base up there. Not sure if they do fills or not.
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
LeoWhite
Just Settling In

Post by LeoWhite »

When will you be home? I live in Forks, which puts my favorite dive shop 3 hours away in Tacoma. I have spent enough there that i get air for free lol. I have found a place in Port Angeles, but it is a rented space inside a store, i can't get myself to trust that air without it being vetted by someone who has been there.
oooh shinies
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Plus one on Tacoma Scuba, though they are not a Padi. Shop. Underwater Sports has a store in Lakewood. There are south side divers going out all the time and you have come to the right place to find good, solid dive buddies.

Watch for the Thursday dive postings.

And welcome to.the Board and the great Northwest!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LeoWhite
Just Settling In

Post by LeoWhite »

Unfortunately I can only do Mondays and Tuesdays. I am going to try to get to M3 this week. The UWS Lakewood Store is where I got all my gear.
oooh shinies
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Being in forks your best and closest shop is Octopus Gardens in Port Townsend. Don sells the cleanest air you will ever get. I watched him build his setup and I can tell you it is one of the safest settups you will ever see. He does everything from strait air to trimix. He is also the go to guy for equitment service. You won't find a cleaner, more up to date setup anywhere.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I haven't been to the PA shop myself, but if you're concerned you can go in and ask to see their compressor maintenance records. They should have at minimum a sheet posted somewhere that shows when the filters were checked, air sent in for testing, etc.

But if you're willing to come around to PT, Octopus Gardens is definitely the place to go. They do bi-weekly Friday evening dives as well (last night we went out, so it will be another two weeks) so if you can get to PT by 6 you can join us.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I've gotten air from the Port Angeles place and it was fine, but that was a few years ago. If it's not too far for you to go, I'd give a +1 to Dusty2's recommendation for the shop in Port Townsend. And if course, if you're at Sund Rock, Hoodsport & Dive gives good fills.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LeoWhite wrote:When will you be home? I live in Forks, which puts my favorite dive shop 3 hours away in Tacoma. I have spent enough there that i get air for free lol. I have found a place in Port Angeles, but it is a rented space inside a store, i can't get myself to trust that air without it being vetted by someone who has been there.

I was just on a charter out of PA yesterday. As I was loading up to come home, some friends of mine were on their way to get fills at that dive shop, and they're diving them right now. Pretty sure the place is OK, I've never heard one complaint about it- and complaints have a way of showing up on this board sooner or later.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

LeoWhite wrote:When will you be home?
It was supposed to be December but it got pushed to January. You never can tell with these guys though. I could be home tomorrow haha.
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
LeoWhite
Just Settling In

Post by LeoWhite »

Hitting Octopus Garden first thing monday morning and hitting Point Hudson in the pm.
oooh shinies
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Joshua Smith wrote:complaints have a way of showing up on this board sooner or later.
:rofl:
:penelope:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
KHILL
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by KHILL »

Actually Tom, Tacoma Scuba is a PADI shop.

Tom Nic wrote:Plus one on Tacoma Scuba, though they are not a Padi. Shop. Underwater Sports has a store in Lakewood. There are south side divers going out all the time and you have come to the right place to find good, solid dive buddies.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

KHILL wrote:Actually Tom, Tacoma Scuba is a PADI shop.

Tom Nic wrote:Plus one on Tacoma Scuba, though they are not a Padi. Shop. Underwater Sports has a store in Lakewood. There are south side divers going out all the time and you have come to the right place to find good, solid dive buddies.

Since when?

http://www.tacomascubacenter.com/index_ ... lasses.htm

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:

Since when?

The side bar on that page lists SDI, PADI, and NAUI as recreational agencies.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Since when?

Damn, you're right. I stand corrected.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Joshua Smith wrote:
spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Since when?

Damn, you're right. I stand corrected.
Me too, apparently. Although it seems that I am not the only one who had that impression. Who knew that a shop could be both?! Nice....

Oh, and welcome to the board, khill. Perhaps an introduction might be in order?

I have never taken a class at Tacoma Scuba, but in my memory I don't recall the Padi paraphernalia I typically see in those shops, and remember Naui being talked about most often and seeing their materials, at least on a recreational level. I know some instructors who can teach both?

But then again, I could be wrong.... :rawlings:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

Tacoma Scuba is PADI, NAUI, SDI, and TDI

Hope that helps
:)