Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by Tom Nic »

The Knuckle in Hood Canal was 30' at depth and Arrowhead was 20'. Great day on PacAdventure's Downtime today! Perfect weather, awesome buddies, Wolf Reps and Octos and Cloud Sponges and more galore!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Today at Edmonds the vis was probably over 50'. I could see my friend while he was at the halfway point on the pontoon while I was at the end. It was really spectacular.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Get out and dive people! Sounds like late Summer viz is here - take advantage while you can!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Viz at Redondo this afternoon was not very good above 30 feet, but below that, it was pretty darned nice. Lots of long, stringy whale snot, but the water in between was very clear, and certainly good enough to be sure that we didn't miss any of the six gills we didn't see.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
derekB
Just Settling In

Post by derekB »

EUP had freaking fantastic visibility today! Probably 40-45' !

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Mushroom Rock, Neah Bay, 8-13, 40'

Box Canyon, Neah Bay, 8-13, 30'

:partydance:
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Tom Nic wrote:Mushroom Rock, Neah Bay, 8-13, 40'

Box Canyon, Neah Bay, 8-13, 30'

:partydance:
Nice Tom...

Dive report :smt064 I would love to get to the level to dive Neah.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Cove 2 last night ... vis to 25 feet was essentially zero. This was supposed to be an evaluation dive for a potential student. We dropped down and all I could see of my buddy from about three feet away was his light. Suddenly I lost that too. I hit the bottom (literally) at 25 feet without ever seeing it. Upon surfacing, I saw my buddy's bubbles right next to me. Dropping down on his bubbles, I bumped into him at about 10 feet. We ascended together, agreed that it wasn't worth even attempting a dive in this, and called it a night.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Janna's Joy, Neah Bay, 8/14, 10-15' - pretty stirred up.

Tatoosh Island South side, Neah Bay, 8/14 - 40-50' - simply spectacular. Not many fish, but the invert life on the walls was just stunning.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Report from the teams working Cove 2 today on the boundary line project was that the viz was absolutely horrible all the way down to 60+ feet, even BEFORE they starting pulling line out.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Redondo was crap last night: 0-130 fsw: ~10 ft. (Yes, scooted west to depth of 130 looking for sharks. None to be seen ;-)
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Viss down to 25' here in Alaska...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Skagway Rocks & Slant Rock, Neah Bay, a surgy, murky 10-15'. Topside it was brilliant and beautiful, below, not so much - at least viz wise.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Viz at Cove 2 this morning was less than two feet. Yes -- really, less than 2 feet, at least down to 40. When the tide came in, it opened up to probably 8, which was a profound relief. At least then you could see the bottom before you hit it.

Had we not been working, I would not have dived. I call that kind of viz "Lunch", as in, "Let's not dive and go have lunch."
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sund Rock 8/15/12 15'+ in the shallows, less than 5' from 30-40', 20+ below 40'.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I forgot to mention... the other night at Redondo 8/14, there was the most intense bioluminescence I've ever seen! If you turned off your light you could see your buddies, your hands, legs, scooter clearly by the aura of green! Amazing!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Koitlah Point, Neah Bay, a murky and surgy 10-15'

Chibadehl Rocks was much better, a solid 25-30'.

A gorgeous day above and below the water!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Secchi disk reading = 5' at cove 2.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Redondo last evening, from surface to about 50' vis approx 3-5', at 65-75' vis about 15' with giant snot clumps in water column.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

EUP on Fri Aug 17 was <8ft all the way to the Triumph. Humph.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 today hadn't improved from Laura's report. We aborted an OW class because of unsafe conditions.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Jorsted Creek, Murky down to 70, opened up abit to an acceptable diving at 15-20ft down to 120.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Viz was better than I thought it would be on Saturday (8/18).
West Seattle Fishing Reef: 15-20 below 20
Blake Island reef: about 15 (below 20)
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Monday 8/20

Possession Ferry 30 - 35 feet vertical 20 - 30 feet horizontal. Must remember to turn on video camera next time.

Mukilteo oil dock 10 - 15 feet horizontal.

Awesome day to be on and under the water.

Mike
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Viz has improved enormously! We had 25 - 30 at the Honey Bear yesterday (from the top of the pilings, you could see them all, and see the outline of the HB hull in the distance). It was probably even better at Redondo, below a mild layer of crud in the top 10 feet. GREAT conditions for diving!