Outboard engine Mechanic/Trade for boat diving/fishing???

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Outboard engine Mechanic/Trade for boat diving/fishing???

Post by Jaksonbrown »

So I just upgraded to another new (to me) boat. It has been sitting for quite a few years unused. It has twin 200 Merc 2 stroke (Black Max's) on it that need gone through and brought back to life. If there is a mechanic on this board that wants free boat diving/fishing privileges for life and wants to help me rebuild these things let me know. I can do alot of work myself, but am by no means an expert.

The boat is a very nice 28' Alumaweld pilothouse. It will make a very nice and warm dive/fishing platform.

Cory

DSC01928.jpg
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Outboard engine Mechanic/Trade for boat diving/fishing??

Post by pensacoladiver »

I'll do it Cory. Bring it to Florida... Bit leave the mercs behind. Haha.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Your a big help buddy! It will be here when you decide to get your but back to Neah....
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow, Now that's a dive boat
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Beautiful boat. The kind of dive platform I have dreamed about for Alaska.

Alas, I am not a mechanic, so not more help than pensacola.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Graveler
Just Settling In

Post by Graveler »

you're only real issue will be the carburetors. drain all the fuel and pull the carburetors apart, basically your pilot jet on each motor will be your main issue for not being able to start them. pick up a one gallon can of carburetor cleaner from Napa and soak the jets for 3 or 4 days. otherwise I clean the carburetors with brake cleaner not carb cleaner. some fresh fuel and I bet they start right up
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Hey Cory -
I'm not a mechanic - but my previous boat sat for 5 years before I bought it. Here's a list of things I did before I took my boat out on its maiden trip.

Drain all of the fuel - this is especially important - If it was filled with E10 the gas would be bad and you could risk blowing a power head if you ran bad fuel

Replace the fuel/water separators - These should be in the bilge, they look like car oil filters

Replace the paper fuel filters - On my Yamaha's these were located on the engine inside a clear plastic fuel reservoir

Replace all the spark plugs

Replace the batteries - I'd spend the extra money and go with AGM's over lead acid. Here's the batteries I put in my boat: http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-m ... ockType=G3

Replace the lower drive oil

If you need a hand doing all of this stuff, shoot me an email.