Protecting metal against rust?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Protecting metal against rust?

Post by kdupreez »

I am pretty darn convinced there are a few chemical and/or metal working or other mechanically inclined propeller heads on this forum that can help me.

My boat trailer is an old Calkins that have a number of parts rusted out. the manufacturer uses regular steel, not galvanized (VERY bizarre for a boat trailer)

So, I ordered replacement parts and will start some restoration work, but these new parts are still just regular old steel.

Anything I can do to protect it as much as possible from rust? I would ideally like to treat these parts before i replace them..

Here is a good example of a rusted vs. new part.
Attachments
bracket_new.JPG
bracket_new.JPG (17.96 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
bracket_old.JPG
bracket_old.JPG (34.63 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
aadolfi
Aquaphile

Re: Protecting metal against rust?

Post by aadolfi »

I would make sure that you don't get the parts wet! That should solve your problem........
The purpose of life should not be to journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Holy S#it!!!" What a Ride!!!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Cold spray galvanize, or POR paint should help.

http://www.por15.com/
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

POR15 is awesome. Expensive, but will do the trick.

Otherwise powder coating.

Another option is I think is called galvalite(?) , a zinc based paint.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Have them galvanized.
http://www.scottgalvanizingco.com/

IIRC they charge by the pound with a minimum charge. They are so small you might be able to talk them into batching them with someone else's order.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Keep it out of salt water
Got Water?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jabberjaw wrote:Keep it out of salt water
Yes you can launch in Ballard and go out through the locks ;)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Jabberjaw wrote:Keep it out of salt water
:rofl: Kinda defeats the purpose of having an ocean going boat..

I'l give the galvanizing guys a call, thanks a lot for that info, Richard!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Edmonds has a good launch system that keeps your trailer out of the water. If your really skilled at backing very fast. You hit the brakes just before the trailer hits the water. Then post the video on YouTube. Should go viral pretty quickly.
Note: galvanizing helps a lot but eventually it gives into the rust as well.
Got Water?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

When getting thing coated, either paint or Galvanized keep in mind that the coating is going to detract from the space between parts. Before doing any kind of coating make sure there is sufficiant space between parts to allow them to fit together without interference lest your money goes out the door when you force the parts together. :popcorn:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Hmm.. Great point!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If some of the galvanizing is abraded on that hinge, the remainder will partly help protect the metal (well, galvanicly). Paint would be thinner but useless where abraded. You can also bend the part a bit in a vise if the post treatment fit is too tight. Its a trailer not a pacemaker :D
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Two other points: first, rinse the trailer off after salt water with a hose. That'll help immensely, no matter what your coatings are.

Second, if you're doing some restoration work, you can upgrade the fasteners on it to stainless or hot-dip galvanized... don't forget about them in the process!
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

or spray down with salt away...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

When manufactures do really stupid things, like the boat trailer bumper bracket you described Koos, I resort to "Yankee ingenuity" fixes. Build the bracket myself. The bracket you've pictured look like simple bends. Run down to the local scrap metals yard and pick up some 1/8 inch thick stainless steel plates grade 304 (they usually sell by the lb), using a scroll saw, cut the pieces out, bend in a bench vise, drill needed holes, and wa'la your done and have a bracket that wont rust nearly as easy. Also make sure you get stainless steel hardware. Grade 304 should suffice. I've found a local Ace Hardware to have a very nice selection.

HTH,

Jeff
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Jeff, this was just one bracket to show the rust.. but I have 8 brackets to replace and 16 rollers and various other non galvanized parts..

So I opted to just order the bunch from the trailer manufacturer, but they are still not galvanized :(

I'll probably just cold galvanize them and make sure the trailer is rinsed properly when ever used in salt water and also stored under tarp or something.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Thanks everyone for all the tips!! I've got my work cut out for me this weekend..

BTW - anyone ever use this "Corroseal Rust Converter Primer" stuff before??

I'm thinking of treating some of the lightly rusted areas with that and then painting over it.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

kdupreez wrote:Thanks everyone for all the tips!! I've got my work cut out for me this weekend..

BTW - anyone ever use this "Corroseal Rust Converter Primer" stuff before??

I'm thinking of treating some of the lightly rusted areas with that and then painting over it.
The only product I have experience with is called Rust Mort. It kills and converts rust to a hard surface and then can be painted over. Not bad for open surfaces on your trailer frame but it probably won't do much for your brackets.
http://www.semproducts.com/product-cata ... rust-mort/
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

After owning lots of boats and trailers, I have come to realize that even with good rinsing and salt away some parts are going to get eating away no matter what. I think they design them that way :smt064 .
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.