Pony bottle, sling or bracket?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Pony bottle, sling or bracket?

Post by Jeff Pack »

I dunno, a 19 is so small, it almost looks funny slung...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

I dive a 119 pony on a bracket and isolated manifold. If I don't have that with me, then coulterboy is my little pony. :tomnic:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jeff Pack wrote:I dunno, a 19 is so small, it almost looks funny slung...
Thats why you double them up....
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Paulicarp wrote:I dive a 119 pony on a bracket and isolated manifold. If I don't have that with me, then coulterboy is my little pony. :tomnic:
Tom as a swimming stage bottle.... hmmmm..... :supz:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

I just thought I'd toss in that I figured out I can easily reach the valve on my 13cu pony on a quick draw bracket by inverting it.
alm
Just Settling In

Post by alm »

I mounted a 13 cu foot, then a 19 cu foot pony on a bracket connected to a subsidiary tank strap in turn
connected to my main (119 cu ft) tank for about 150 dives. The only good thing I can say about this rig
is that it seemed more logical and stable than burdening the main tank strap with the pony and main tank both.

In general it probably shows what a slow learner
I am, because it was ridiculously clumsy and labor intensive when setting up gear, particularly on a dive boat.

My wife carries a 13 cu foot pony on one of those "push in and click" two-piece mounts connected to the main
tank strap, and although slighly quicker than my old setup, I'm not very impressed wit the ease of use and
she can get pretty annoyed with it.

Could I have found a back mount system that I really liked? Maybe, but I was pretty fed up with the
whole idea after several years of suffering with my system.

As part of taking PADI Self Reliant, I started slinging the 19 cu ft tank, and once I learned to build
the sling the way I wanted, the results have been pretty good; first on the two left D rings
of a recreational jacket style BCD, and
then using a homemade copy of the Dive Rite ring-under-the-armpit style bungee mount on a DiveRite harness.
Now the only negatives are (1) that my pony's regulator would ideally be "left handed" but it isn't (and
I'm not using one of the regs like the newer Apeks where I can convert it). (2) I've run the numbers and agree that 19 cu ft is small for the deepest third of the recreational diving depth range.
I'm diving conservatively and living with it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

winte.r wrote:I just thought I'd toss in that I figured out I can easily reach the valve on my 13cu pony on a quick draw bracket by inverting it.
Yeah but then the reg hose routes out of your butt :penelope:

I had a 19 pony rigged this way long ago, with a spg on a custom hose near my waist. What a CF. :BDub:

Sling it and avoid all the bogus hose routing, custom hose lengths, a bracket which will corrode eventually, and a whole ton of money wasted.
Last edited by CaptnJack on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

What the hell. Here's my two psi. When I was still using a 19cf pony I ran it inverted on a quick draw type bracket I made with a back inflate BCD. I had a mini spg clipped off where I could check it and I could also reach the valve and turn it on or off as needed. If I was to use one now after switching to a BP+W I would definitely sling it and it would be a AL40. So much gas and so little hassle to have along. I have done one dive so far with an AL80 slung and was amazed just how little hassle that was. It just rides there out of the way. The funny part was I only had a LP 85 on my back! Long story........ :rofl:
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!