ThThTh Aug 29 Day Island?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Re: ThThTh Aug 29 Day Island?

Post by McGlencoe »

Good omen for you guys.... Had a great dive there this eve, viz was 25' <>.

We did just about get blown out by the current. We splashed at 6:15 (as suggested by a couple people in the area) and had no current, dropped over the wall and started heading south, by the time we got down to the deep end, the current was really starting to move and burned up a lot of air kicking the whole way back.

My first wall dive! Whoo-Hoo! Loved it, can't wait to go back. :supz:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders and I are going to shoot for 6:45. We have some extra beefy tanks for some extended BT.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Might be wise, might shoot for that as well. Better early than late on chasing the slack!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Gdog wrote:Might be wise, might shoot for that as well. Better early than late on chasing the slack!
Yeah, I think half hour or so early wasn't early enough.

But then I have a crazy time reading that site. I just jump in and dive and deal with the conditions. :tomnic:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Yeah, Ive splashed 45 minutes early and the current had already changed. Other times Ive hit it and the current changed as we were exiting the water. Day Island...always a roll of the dice on current prediction!
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Gdog wrote:Yeah, Ive splashed 45 minutes early and the current had already changed. Other times Ive hit it and the current changed as we were exiting the water. Day Island...always a roll of the dice on current prediction!
It also depends on whether you're diving slack before ebb or slack before flood. It seems that slack before ebb tends to turn a bit earlier at DIW.

See you all there tonight!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Tonight its slack before flood. Lets hope the calculations are spot on tonight
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

we have arrived in Tacoma... traffic down sucked .. looking forward to seeing mr angry
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey, the ThThTh dive last night was a blast. Had a great dive, and a great time talking with you guys. The food was decent and the beer was good too!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

McGlencoe wrote:
We did just about get blown out by the current. We splashed at 6:15 (as suggested by a couple people in the area) and had no current, dropped over the wall and started heading south, by the time we got down to the deep end, the current was really starting to move and burned up a lot of air kicking the whole way back.
You go SOUTH on the tail end of EBB before FLOOD in the Narrows (6:30 slack)....that is probably what is going to happen.
Potentially scary. The current can ramp up fast there. Down south you are deeper and farther from shore. North is shallower, closer to shore, and is the direction you should have gone.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.