Sund Rock -11/16/13 - Interesting Critters

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Sund Rock -11/16/13 - Interesting Critters

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders, Gdog, and I hit Sund Rock yesterday for a couple dives. EJ joined us as well, but unfortunately she had a neck seal blow out while gearing up for dive #1 :(

Our dives were very nice with about 25-30' of viz. Tons of Wolf Eels. On dive two we counted 10+ Wolfies. Also, there was some really interesting behavior/critters I encountered. I'd like some help on the spider ID.

I found this spider in the water column at about 30'. It almost looks like a land-based spider. Has anyone ever come across this type of spider underwater?

While photographing a wolf eel, I noticed this Rockfish with it's mouth opened under a rock. After snapping this shot, about 6-8 shrimp came out of its mouth. Another first for me.

I have seen these before, but not very often. These are really cool.

Last, we saw a pair of wolf eels. This one had an eye missing. What was odd is that the "socket" moved as if it was looking around. Very strange. The mate was on the eyeless side.

Finally, I am sure I have seen these before. But I can't remember seeing one this red and bright. Regardless, it was a pretty cool looking shrimp.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund Rock -11/16/13 - Interesting Critters

Post by Jan K »

Superb shots, it is good to know we have cleaning shrimp here in PNW !
And diving spiders :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Great shots of the Sparkling shrimp. The also come in a very dark purple.

You going to come to PT and visit next week?
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome day of diving. Here are my better shots.
Say Cheese.jpg
Tube Anenome.jpg
Plumose Anenome.jpg
Orange Grunt Sculpin2.jpg
Lion's Mane Jellyfish.jpg
Aeolid Nudi.jpg
Aeolid Nudi2.jpg
It was great diving with you and Mike, Jesse.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

George, your jelly pic is way cool! Nice job.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thanks. Sorry to silt you out on that shot, but the jellyfish was turning into me and getting way too close!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow. Jesse. Those are amazing shots. The first one is just nuts - 30fsw?!? And the second one is so cool, and at least in my experience relatively rare. It makes sense that it happens (the cleaning behaviors), but other than Jan I don't hear of other people witnessing - let alone photographing it. Great detail in the last shrimp shot! And I love the sea spider shot. My eyes are sucky enough that I don't think I've ever seen one...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Interesting that the cleaner shrimps are pygmy eualids (Eualus subtilis), which weren't previously known to do this. The usual local cleaner is Lebbeus mundus, which also occurs at Sund Rock.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Those are all some awesome pic's... The photo's you post never cease to amaze me.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Greg Jensen wrote:Interesting that the cleaner shrimps are pygmy eualids (Eualus subtilis), which weren't previously known to do this. The usual local cleaner is Lebbeus mundus, which also occurs at Sund Rock.
Very cool, it was definitely a unique find for me.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LowDrag wrote:Those are all some awesome pic's... The photo's you post never cease to amaze me.
Thanks LD :)
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Scubie Doo wrote:
LowDrag wrote:Those are all some awesome pic's... The photo's you post never cease to amaze me.
Thanks LD :)

You're welcome...thanks for posting them for us to look at.
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Asked an arachnophile buddy of mine about the spider. Here's what he had to say.

Weird. I think it just fell in. The saltwater would do strange shit to the body's coloration. I've never heard of any spider, anything from Araneae, living in saltwater. Argyroneta aquatica lives underwater, but only in European ponds. Looks like an orb weaver of some sort, maybe Neoscona, but not sure. Nice pycnogonid down a couple spots.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

olalladiver wrote:Asked an arachnophile buddy of mine about the spider. Here's what he had to say.

Weird. I think it just fell in. The saltwater would do strange shit to the body's coloration. I've never heard of any spider, anything from Araneae, living in saltwater. Argyroneta aquatica lives underwater, but only in European ponds. Looks like an orb weaver of some sort, maybe Neoscona, but not sure. Nice pycnogonid down a couple spots.
That's what I thought too. It didn't look like any sea spiders I could find while researching them.