horizontal tank valve?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

horizontal tank valve?

Post by Emilyrc »

Theres a steel 100 on CL that has a horizontal looking DIN valve. My phone refuses to cooperate, and wont copy or paste but a quick search of scuba tanks will bring it up. Its blue.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: horizontal tank valve?

Post by BillZ »

This one?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/4401723493.html

The horizontal valve isn't that big of a deal. It a 7/8 in neck which can be a bit tough to find if you want to replace it.

I don't like painted tanks- it looks like this one was repainted or someone painted a galvanized tank.

$270 for a 20 year old tank is WAY overpriced - For reference I picked up a similar HP 100 PST galvanized tank a couple of months ago off from CL for $100.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

Nope, don't want it, but curiosity got the best of me on that one, because I couldn't find any info on that valve.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

I have 3 of those tanks, all with the same horizontal styled valve. 1 is galvanized, 2 are blue (from the factory) all with original Sherwood stickers on the side. Those tanks came in several Crayola-colored hues in addition to plain galvanized, in 80, 100, and 120 cu ft capacities.

The valves are 300 bar DIN, and not capable of being converted to be used with a yoke valve reg. But for use with a DIN reg, they work great.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I suspect that the paint is original... Back in the day, they galvanized them and then painted them... the blue paint was exceptionally shiny and lasted forever. I have about a dozen or so of those tanks, although none of them blue, all galvanized or yellow or some variation (i'm actually afraid to count) and they are awesome. not awesome enough to spend that much cha-ching tho :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

A dozen or so?? :) This reminds me of the day I picked up my gear for my open water (not that long ago, LOL) and two tanks were in the living room. My husband said do those need to be in here? I said, uh no. And he said did you buy those and I said no. He said oh good I was wondering where we were going to store them. Then we got into a conversation about why I don't need tanks because I have to fill them, and the fill costs are almost as much as a rental, and how I won't be buying any. Now, I can tell him, but Laura has a dozen or so of just one type of tank. He will ask who's Laura...
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Ugh I hate those valves. The horizontal bit is no problem. What I hate is how the outlet is at a ~45deg angle compared to a normal DIN or yoke valve. If you have your hoses all setup for a "normal" valve they end up all kitty wompus with these angled ones (and vice versa).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Got a pair of those a couple years back for 50.00 a piece. Not a huge fan of the angle of the valve but doubled em up and love them. the Dual valves are angled normal.
You will find, however; on those little 7/8 necks, you will be charged more for a tumble in some places...he he
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**