NWDC Dive & pizza - Friday June 22nd!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I'll try and make it, hopefully with the new scoot. Richard, you should bring the Gavin . . .
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

I should be able to make it...What do you guys think about trying out the NuCanoe? I know it's not really much needed here...but we could get some interesting photographs of people trying to get in/out...and it'll be your chance to see if you want to put this on your "I want to get one of these when I win the lottery".
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I've always been curious just how the heck you use a kayak with full scuba gear...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Well now's the time to find out! Except that this will be a canoe... :P
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Kinda same diff, aren't they? at least for the Nucanoe...
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

rjarnold wrote:What do you guys think about trying out the NuCanoe? I know it's not really much needed here...but we could get some interesting photographs of people trying to get in/out
This should be entertaining. :laughing3: I will have camera ready.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

I could be wrong, but I think the biggest difference is going to be the height of the sides of the canoe vs. the height of the sides of a kayak. I think the higher sides may make it harder to get into...but there seemed to be at least a couple divers that could do it with relative ease ;)
neoerik
Avid Diver

Post by neoerik »

I for one would LOVE to see the Nucanoe in action!!
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Well I will certainly bring it then =D
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I actually think I am going to have to bag out of this one. Sorry. I am getting a little pressure at home not to be out diving every Friday night. Imagine that...

Plus I have to be at the Treasure hunt at 7:00 am for volunteer work, so I am electing to bag out and get some sleep. Sorry Erik.. But hey I did give you a little more warning than I got. ;)

Bassman, I am sorry to you too. I would love to take you to the Honey bear sometime though. We're going to be up there tonight as matter of fact. So if you show up around 6 and want to see it, I'd be happy to show you.
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Gilly,
No prob I'll get some one to take us, or give us good directions, to the Honey Bear.

Drysiut is being repaired right now and I can't bring myself to want to use a rented wet suit.

I might see you at the Treasure hunt thing.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Wow - sounds like a great group! These are fun and if you're a newer diver, there are plenty of experienced folks we can set you up with. \:D/

We'll order a couple pizzas for a Cove 2 tailgate party after the dive. If folks wish to do a second dive after pizza, that'd be fun too. I probably won't do the later dive, but who knows right?

Please bring some cash to chip-in for pizza. Also bring a good light - yes Pez, your new 21w will work beautifully... as will mine. :supz:

This is a great way to meet folks and get to know the cove. Some will go deep, some will stay shallow, and it sounds like there will even be a scooter group. We'll figure out buddy teams when everyone arrives and ensure everyone has a buddy and dive plan they're comfortable with.

As it gets closer please confirm if you're able to make it. \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'm going to have to say, "no", to this Friday, Because I want to get up nice and early and go to the Treasure hunt at Owens Beach. :bounce:
Because of the cost and airfill situation. I am forced to choose which one to attend. Sorry nwdiveclubbers, I want to try and win something!
And also help out Divegirl with the "Dive for the cure" booth.
So I guess I'll be seeing some of you there. Sorry Sgt. Pepper, I think I might just have to be the One who finds the "Treasure Box".
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'll try to make it. Did my first post-surgery dive yesterday and the pressure from my neck seal said very clearly "you're not ready yet" ... gonna try again tomorrow evening.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
kjc
Aquaphile

Kayak Dive?

Post by kjc »

What would be the thoughts on a "Kayak Dive Day"?

I have 2 sit-on top dive kayaks, and I dive from them all the time. I have been kayak diving for the past 10 + years now... I also have a 3rd sit-in kayak that I often use as a cargo kayak that I tow behind when I go kayak dive camping in the San Juan's.

To me, they are just another piece of dive gear, but I'm pretty convinced that the misconceptions the majority of typical SCUBA divers have of them prohibit most people from even considering trying a kayak dive.

When I say "Kayak Dive Day", I mean a beach presentation of what is involved with kayak diving, and demonstrations in water, and then possibly an actual dive.

I don't mean this Friday Cove 2 dive party per se, but sometime...

Any interest?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I would love to actually see how you dive from a Kayak, and hear folks who actually do it talk about safety, issues, etc.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'd enjoy seeing how it is done. It'd be great for reaching some of the dive sites around Lopez Island and a lot cheaper and easier to haul on the ferry than towing the boat and launching/mooring by the house.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: Kayak Dive?

Post by Zen Diver »

kjc wrote:What would be the thoughts on a "Kayak Dive Day"?

Any interest?
I'd love to!

Where've ya been Kev?

-Valerie
kjc
Aquaphile

Post by kjc »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:

Any interest?
I'd love you!

Where've ya been Kev?

-Valerie
uuuhhh....

I love you too!

:-)

My head has been in the gutter...I've been working 6-7 days a week on a terrible project for the last 3 months. Its been really hard.
kjc
Aquaphile

Kayak Camp n' Dive

Post by kjc »

Sounder wrote:I'd enjoy seeing how it is done. It'd be great for reaching some of the dive sites around Lopez Island and a lot cheaper and easier to haul on the ferry than towing the boat and launching/mooring by the house.
There are some great dive opportunities in Upright Channel inbetween Lopez and Shaw. We paddle camped at Odlin Park last year, and dove Upright Channel and then paddle camped on Shaw and dove in Indian Cove.

Very cool!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hmmm... our place is on Cape St. Mary, about 100 yards up the beach from where Paul Allen's property begins. Wonder if he'd mind me diving in his double-olympic sized swimming pool that is near the entrance to his property? Hmmm... all the security money could buy? I doubt I'd even get remotely close to the pool before being "greeted" despite it being less than 300 yards from the property line.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

kjc wrote:
Zen Diver 2 wrote:

Any interest?
I'd love you!

Where've ya been Kev?

-Valerie
uuuhhh....

I love you too!

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin....

If you check MY post you'll see I actually wrote "I'd love TO"..... but heck, I love you too, so I guess it's all good :partyman:

-Valerie
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.....must I remind you to wear those reading glasses?

And for what it's worth, I must love you, too.

And where HAVE you been?
kjc
Aquaphile

butt butt butt...

Post by kjc »

eye eye eye....

true confession....

I changed your quote Val!

I did it on purpose.

I'm a lonely man.....

We had an absolutely awful set of circumstances occur on a project I'm working on, and we crashed the job in the most intense way I've ever seen. We were working 7 12 hour shifts. The job went 24/7 for the last 3 months.

Have you been to the airport lately?

Its all my fault....
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

OK who is going to be my dive buddy since I am not going deep?? I have been told you guys are tech divers :book: so I need a (shallow man)<<<get that :la:
Jeff Castor