Sund Rock 6-14-14 - More Fun with Super Macro

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Sund Rock 6-14-14 - More Fun with Super Macro

Post by Scubie Doo »

Hit Sund Rock for a couple late evening dives yesterday. Penders and I were inspired (thanks you MZ) to look for the cloud sponges (again). We have failed at least 2-3 times. However, we were determined to find them this time. As others said in another write-up, these are very fragile and we were extremely careful around them. Especially taking macro photos. Here are a few sites from the two dives.

Fish on the cloud sponges. Haven't look at the ID yet, but I thought this was cool looking. I think Penders may have got one with more sponge :-)

Nice looking crab on the sponges.

Always love the squat lobster at SR!

Cool little Jellyfish.

Nudibranch Gills. Notice the little flat worm in front of the gills?

Love this shrimp. It was tiny and perched just right for a photo.

Never noticed one of these before. This thing was very very small.

Little dental exam for a small wolfie. Notice the teeth on the bottom behind the front row?

Had to post this for EJ. Not the best photo. But there is a small looking "tongue" sticking out of the end of the worm.

I believe a Midshipman fish. They were everywhere.

Juvenile sailfin sculpin all over. This one was tucked away. I had a heck of a time getting this shot.

And my personal favorite. I noticed a spot on a Jellyfish tentacle. It was so small I could not even tell what it was with the naked eye. Ended up being a nice shot :-)

Hope everyone had a good Fathers Day. Be safe out there and thank you MZ for the cloud sponge inspiration!

I betcha Penders has a few keepers too :smt064
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund Rock 6-14-14 - More Fun with Super Macro

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics!

And we need to go diving!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Great pics!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I think you may have something really good with that first one- looks like a fringed sculpin (Icelinus fimbriatus).
The first crab is Acantholithodes; the second is a baby scale crab (Placetron). The shrimp appears to be Heptacarpus decorus.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome pix guy, Nice finds too! those new diopters are really smoken!
Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

Great pix, Jesse! I was diving at Sund Rock Saturday afternoon, we must have just missed each other
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You found some unusual stuff! I LOVE that sailfin sculpin picture . . . the composition is just gorgeous, with the eye highlighted. Thanks for sharing the pictures!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames