New to WA & diving

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Siennalg
Getting To Know Folks

New to WA & diving

Post by Siennalg »

I just completed my OW course on Sunday with mpenders. I have one more dive left for my drysuit cert. I just moved from Florida and only got to snorkel there. I got certified for my honeymoon to the Bahamas in September, but I definitely plan on diving locally too.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New to WA & diving

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board, and to the addiction! Where are you located?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Siennalg
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Siennalg »

Thank you! I'm excited to start off my diving with such varied locations. I live in Spanaway, but work in Tacoma. My fiance is a master diver, but hasn't dove here yet so I'm thrilled to be able to share adventures with him.
Siennalg
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Siennalg »

I'm wondering what some good beginner dive spot there are around here besides Les Davis? I saw someone mentioned Titlow Beach.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Titlow is a fantastic, shallow dive, with an easy entry/exit, but the site is very current sensitive. It needs to be done at slack on a small exchange, and is probably best done the first time with someone who knows how to calculate slack for this site.

For south end dives: Redondo is beginner friendly. Three Tree North, Sunnyside, and Fox Island West Wall (not the east wall, that is an advanced dive) are good options as well, although the wall can be hard to find at Fox Island.

We have weekly dives all over the Sound that you are welcome to join. All skill levels welcome, and you can usually be set up with a buddy if needed. There is a Thursday evening crew that would probably be closest to you. Keep your eye on the dive planning forum to see what's up each week.

http://nwdiveclub.com/viewforum.php?f=3
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Siennalg
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Siennalg »

That sounds like a great list to get some experience under my belt! I will browse the dive planning forum. Thank you!
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Other good beginner sites a bit more N are Cove 2 on Alki, Edmonds Underwater Park (max depth 40 fsw) but viz might be low during the summer times, Mukilteo doing the geo dome but can be current sensitive so get with a local dive that knows how to predict slack. If you wanna hit Hood Canal Sund Rock is a great site. Also if you are interested in Whidbey Island Possession Point fingers is great on the flood but again maybe grab a local diver that knows the areas. TONS of diving around here and it's all pretty darn good! If you have time get up to Vancouver Island, BC (passport required) and dive Victoria and Nanaimo. AMAZING diving up there! Welcome to COLD water diving! You will be amazed. The Spiny Lump Suckers are out right now at both Redondo and 3TreeN and are SO much fun to find and see. Good luck!
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

Welcome to WA! If you guys ever want to go diving let me know!
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Hi Sienna - welcome to the board!