Photography for a Dummie

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Photography for a Dummie

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:I'm enjoying all the photos in the threads and have seen lots of great pictures. I'm not what I would call a "photographer" and I doubt that I would ever really put a bunch of money in expensive phototraphy equipment, but I do have a 6 mega pixel camera and an underwater housing for it.

Are good quality "point & shoot" cameras "good enough" for taking pictures here and there? I'm sure there are divers out there with great equipment, but if I just want to take pictures here and there, is my Canon camera sufficient?

:prayer:
Yes ... Canon makes great P&S cameras. I know lots of folks with A70's and A80's who take awesome photos. My ex uses an A620 and it's a really nice camera.

I'm currently using a Fuji F10 ... which is stictly P&S, and an Olympus SP350, which has a lot of features I haven't tried using yet ... I just put it in Auto and shoot away ... and get some great shots.

The trick to great photos isn't so much the camera as it is good buoyancy control (holding still while the shutter lag works ... and not kicking up silt) and getting in as close as possible to your subject (to reduce backscatter to a minimum).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Wow!
Grilled chicken and asperagus for Some camera info? =D>

I say you need a good source of light!

Steak & Garlic toast will do for me, Please! \:D/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Uh....find pretty fish and stuff to take pics of! I want food, too!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Thanks Bob! Didn't know you would be responding!!! Is grilled chicken and asparagus ok? \:D/ I'll show you the camera tonight!
LOL - I didn't realize who I was responding to.

Sounds great. You can always impress me with food ... =D>

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm no expert, but am just having fun taking pictures. I've got an Olympus C-775 and my kids got me an underwater housing for Christmas. I've been taking passable pictures with it and having a ball in the process.

One of the positive things is that it makes you slow down as a diver. No charging around if you're stopping to snap shots of the latest Alabaster Nudie that you discovered!

I've purchased an external flash and housing and am anxious to see if that improves my picture taking!

I never take my camera on dives where I am even mildly uncertain of the conditions or dive site. I suppose that would not be a hard and fast rule, but at my skill level, both diving and photography, it's a good idea for me.

Good Shooting!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well, here's a nudi show I put together a couple months back ... enjoy ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/bq2ay2Tx

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Bob,

Are those Nudi's from around here? (Puget Sound?)
Just curious, I have not seen any like these around here yet.
Great Show!

Thanks! =D>
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Those are hooded nudibranchs ... pics were taken at Edmonds Underwater Park in the eel grass between October 2005 and January 2006 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Those were amazing Bob - were they taken with the camera you showed me? If so, I'm VERY excited to get my new one wet!!!
Yes ... they were all taken with the Fuji F10 that I showed you last night ... your Canon should do at least as well.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)