ThThTh - 1/21 -- surrounded by no parking signs!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

ThThTh - 1/21 -- surrounded by no parking signs!

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy Folks!
ScubaJess, Scubie Doo, GDog, PogiGuy and I braved the no parking signs for a dive at TTN tonight!

It was great fun! Parking wasn't quite the todo people were fearing.

I got to see this cool shrimp on some ling cod eggs. The daddy was watching another nearby egg pile and didn't seem to mind me intruding.
shrimp9.jpg
Also seen were grunt sculpin, octos, stubbies, sailfins, pink mouth hydroids, and a half-eaten ratfish, . No nudibranchs were seen :(

Another part of the dive group got to see some other cool stuff, I will let them describe. Good food, beer, laughs were had after!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Last edited by YellowEye on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: ThThTh - 1/21 -- surrounded by no parking signs!

Post by pogiguy05 »

Yeh George, jessie and I dropped to do the junk yard site. I did not have my camera so of course we would see some cool stuff. After they fiddled with their cameras we turned right and not to long after the viz went from good to what is making all this silt cloud. My first thought is we might see the Seal dodging around. Instead there was this HUGE orgy of small red rock crabs and they were the ones kicking up all the silt. I dont know exactly how many but the bottom was moving all around. Later George said he had lost Jessie and I in all that silt. As we were heading back to the entry point I noticed as Eric stated a half eaten rat fish laying in one of the tire piles. Also ran across a huge shrimp for which I could not help being possessed by Keith's (bassman) molesting bug and I tried to grab him. :luv: The dive lasted about 1 hour and the tide was out quite a ways so that walk up the hill was much longer. There are TWO very noticeable signs also posted by the pump area that states and is marked City of Burien. Park Boundary please do not pass beyond these signs. There are also CLEARLY signs marking the no parking areas along the curved hedges I think about 5 of them. Also Angle parking only signs along the ONLY legal parking area. At the edge of the straight hedge is a No Parking south ( I think) sign. So you have about 5 parking spaces maybe 6. Plan accordingly. Awesome diving as always and George and Jessie have fun on your trips. Wish I was going. :angelblue: :neener: :notworthy:
Jeff Castor
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

As has been mentioned, with careful parking it looked to me that 5 vehicles could park in the angle parking area. Any overflow would have to park on Maplewild just below the TTN entrance, on the south side.
The crab created silt blowout we ran into was extraordinary. I was trying to use my gopro for the first time, and got a little bit of footage of the crabaganza that was going on. Hundreds of what I think were small red rock crab, digging in the bottom creating huge silt clouds. I will try to get a chance to post that video in the next day or so.
Fun dive, and great time hanging out with you all!

Oh....did I mention Im going to BONAIRE in a week?!!!! Woot!!
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

I regret missing the red rock crabs and half-eaten ratfish. Get any pictures of the latter?
Given the parking situation, what's the max number of people you'd recommend for future ThThTh dives at TTN?
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

derekcs wrote:I regret missing the red rock crabs and half-eaten ratfish. Get any pictures of the latter?
Given the parking situation, what's the max number of people you'd recommend for future ThThTh dives at TTN?
The max number of divers is only pertinent as it relates to the number of vehicles parking there. We had 3 vehicles there, and it looked as 2 more would fit in the alloted parking area. So a total of 5 spaces. Additional parking is available on the south side of Maplewild, but the walk will be twice as far. Maybe drop off your gear at the trail, then park on Maplewild should the available spots be full.
A question for those that may know, just above the parking area looks to be a second parking area, with stairs connecting the two. Does anyone know if that area is public parking?
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I'm heading there Sunday morning, I'll try to remember to take a look up the stairs.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Interesting. I always assumed that parking belonged to the adjacent homeowner, but the right of way looks wide enough to perhaps encompass that area.

King County ROW/Aerial maps are not exactly accurate though, so some clarification from the city would be helpful.

There is a public trail that runs behind the homes there as well, which is what the stairs connect to.
TTN_ROW.PNG
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

The critters were sparse (aside from the crabfest). Here are a couple photos.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice shots! Cute little Sailfin Sculpin. They still remind me a bit of a puppy dog....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Great Pics Yellow Eye & Scubie Doo! It was great diving with you guys!

Hey Gdog & Scubie Safe & fun Travels!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Google maps has the walkway labeled as "Indian Trail".
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Ok so until I figure out how to post a video, here is the link to the video in my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4226zogpcb1q6 ... n.mp4?dl=0
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Wait until fishing season. I wonder if this parking fuss is aimed right at them. We come and go from the beach but they stand there all day and the home owners don't like that so much.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Ok so until I figure out how to post a video, here is the link to the video in my dropbox

Nice work. Looks like you're ready for Bonaire.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Post pics from Bonaire, Gdog!

Re: TTN parking situation... pfffft.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Happy Saturday Everyone!
Here's a shot of the little grunt :luv: I saw at ThThTh. Hope you all have a great weekend full of diving! :pirate:
Attachments
Gary the Grunt Sculpin
Gary the Grunt Sculpin
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gdog wrote:Ok so until I figure out how to post a video, here is the link to the video in my dropbox

Better see the doctor... Youve got crabs ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen