Where are the crabs?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
TCWestby
Submariner

Where are the crabs?

Post by TCWestby »

Anyone seen any crabs lately? I was at Mukilteo yesterday and nothing but small juviniles.

Not many starfish either.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Albertsons has them for $13.99 a pound.

\:D/
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :violent1: :evil4: :evil4: :evil4:
:wav: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :salute: :salute: :salute:
Jeff Castor
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

My doctor said that the medicine should have gotten rid of all of them............................................................... ](*,) ](*,) :la: :la:
Jeff Castor
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

pogiguy05 wrote:My doctor said that the medicine should have gotten rid of all of them............................................................... ](*,) ](*,) :la: :la:
AGGGHHH!!! You werent supposed to go diving while you were on the medication! you killed them off. :(
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, we managed to find 15 catchable-sized ones on Wednesday (among five divers, so we were legal!). But you had to look hard, because there were SO many smaller ones. It's really amazing how many crabs are under that dock.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

winchester bay oregon, we pulled out about 14 Dungeness, some were huge. Also seen about 7 ling cods two were probably spearable.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Lopez Island last week-end ... we found only one keeper at Agate Beach ... but it was a monster 7-1/2 incher.

Odlin Park was much better ... we got four nice ones on Saturday.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

And they were delicious!!! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Talked to some of the WDFW guys and they said that the commercial opener (which was before the recreational opener) has really affected the recreational catch and that crab availability was scarce. Most of the crab that we have seen is either undersize or soft shell. I hope they firm up before the close of the season which is Labor Day if I am not mistaken.
Pescadero
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Pescadero »

Dove Yaquina Bay on Sunday. Got two limits of Dungies and two limits of Cockles. Out of the 24 crab, 4-5 were not full. The rest were nice and firm.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Skip, I'm jealous! Still haven't figured this crab thing out... Bassman and Mouse tried Sunnyside and only got two smaller Red Rocks...
-Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pescadero
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Pescadero »

Hi Tom:

I guess we are pretty lucky down here. Your diving is so much better, that's what brings me up there. But, our bays and estuaries are very healthy and support tremendous numbers of crabs and clams. Every day and every tide change is a little different. You never know exactly what it will bring. But, generally the next 2-3 months are very good. For example, I saw literally hundreds of females, and twice that many juvenile crabs in the 2-5 inch range. Just more than you could ever count. Out of that we were able to select our keeper males. We have a short ocean closure but the inland waters are open 24/7/365. The night time crab diving is an absolute riot. Nasty job, but then somebody has to do it. \:D/

I have tapped you for some mentoring and local knowledge. It would be a pleasure for me to expose you to this activity, a little later in the fall. Maybe you could think in terms of dropping down for a couple days of 'harvesting'.

Bye the way, I know you can't see the 'pause' here, but I held up my typing and called ODFW to check on your requirements. They say that if you chose to come down, you would NOT need an out of state fishing license. As long as you limited your harvesting to clams, crabs and mussels, you can get a 3-day, out of state 'Shellfish' tag for $9.00. Success on Cockles and Mussels is extremely high. Would expect success. You have to 'arm wrestle' with the crabs and so that can be a little more speculative. . :prayer: LOL

Let's seriously consider this.

Skip
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sweet! I'm in! \:D/

Since the out of state license isn't a huge issue the main cost will be getting down there. We'll have to figure out a time...

-Tom
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

sounds like the crabs at mukilteo have been fine. our buddies got 8 last weekend just diving the shallows.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

thelawgoddess wrote:sounds like the crabs at mukilteo have been fine. our buddies got 8 last weekend just diving the shallows.
I dove Kayak Point on Saturday and saw tons of crabs. Even some 12+ inchers. Too bad I didn't get a license. :-({|=
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Seth T. wrote:
thelawgoddess wrote:sounds like the crabs at mukilteo have been fine. our buddies got 8 last weekend just diving the shallows.
I dove Kayak Point on Saturday and saw tons of crabs. Even some 12+ inchers. Too bad I didn't get a license. :-({|=
I know I should just google it, but as a South ender, where is Kayak point? Need to get there !
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

When you get to Marysville head East till your feet get wet. Call me sometime if you don't ming a fairly new buddy.
Looking for dive buddies

Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

It wouldn't suprise me to hear that you didn't see any crab if people are going down there and taking 5 per person per shot. Personally, I don't like seafood, but I do like to look at it when I go to our dive sites. Let me loose in a chicken farm though ... :axe:
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

TCWestby wrote:When you get to Marysville head East till your feet get wet. Call me sometime if you don't ming a fairly new buddy.
I'd love to take you up on that TC... Have you everdove there? I don't think I've seen a dive site report anywhere... although again, I'm too lazy to google it at the moment.

I have family in Anacortes and it would be fun to hook up for a dive sometime on the way up north.

However... until the repair snafu :axe: gets itself sorted out on I-5 I think I'll be staying down here for awhile!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Kayak Point's a great crabbing spot ... at least, early in the season or until the tribal members get done with it. It gets pretty cleaned out usually after the first couple of weeks of the season.

There's absolutely nothing to see down there except crabs, though ... which is why you don't generally hear dive reports.

Used to crab there pretty regularly when I lived in Mill Creek ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I haven't been there yet other than to hango ut on the beach with my kids. I know that my neighbor has told me that crabbing from the pier is good so I'd figure that getting away from it might be interesting.

I have seen a few writeups I have one in Puget Sound Shore Dives as well as a couple of diving boards.

From what I hear though it can be fairly shallow and never looks too current sensitive, at least from the beach. Since it is just a big bay I would think the currents shouldn't bee too bad. If anyone has any imput I'd be interested.

SPD says that it is a good site for shecking new gear and skills and such. I hope to dive it soon and find out for myself though.

PM or call me, numbers in my profile and we can hook up.
Looking for dive buddies

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Never experienced any current there at all. It's shallow for a fairly long way out ... then it drops off pretty steadily.

Vis is usually pretty bad ... due to the fact that it's fairly shallow and there's very little water movement in the bay. Make sure you have a solid separation plan ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I did a pair of dives there last weekend with my new buddy. I picked a shallow dive spot because I wanted to give him an easy refresher course (it had been 4 years since he dove last).

The first dive our max depth was 17', though our dive time was a whopping 64 minutes! That's my longest dive here in the NW. There is virtually nothing to see but sand and seaweed. However, we saw plenty of life including endless hermit crabs, flounder, shrimp, a couple stingray, gooey ducks, massive crabs, and a little eel. Viz was not bad at all actually, given that you stay below the wicked halocline at about 12 feet. The water was an insane 61 degrees. You drysuit divers may actually get too hot.

The second dive was very different. We followed the indentical navigation and suddenly ran across depth! We followed the slope down to 81' and leveled off, keeping our first dive series moderately shallow.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Seth T. wrote:I did a pair of dives there last weekend with my new buddy. I picked a shallow dive spot because I wanted to give him an easy refresher course (it had been 4 years since he dove last).

The first dive our max depth was 17', though our dive time was a whopping 64 minutes! That's my longest dive here in the NW. There is virtually nothing to see but sand and seaweed. However, we saw plenty of life including endless hermit crabs, flounder, shrimp, a couple stingray, gooey ducks, massive crabs, and a little eel. Viz was not bad at all actually, given that you stay below the wicked halocline at about 12 feet. The water was an insane 61 degrees. You drysuit divers may actually get too hot.

The second dive was very different. We followed the indentical navigation and suddenly ran across depth! We followed the slope down to 81' and leveled off, keeping our first dive series moderately shallow.
4 years dry and the second dive was to 81fsw? Nothing like jumping in with both feet!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!