Need a buddy-Sat the 15th

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
divernick
Aquaphile

Need a buddy-Sat the 15th

Post by divernick »

Okay, here's the deal. I'm coming up north from Portland for Bob's gas management seminar. The class isn't until early evening. It seems a shame to me to drive all the way up to the sound and not do any diving. So I'm looking to do a couple dives in the sound somewhere. Who's interested?

Nick
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

we could do the edmonds oil dock or the edmonds underwater park. let me know! later!

jeff
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

I've never done the Oil Dock before, that might be fun. Is it tide sensitive?
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

nope. just a long surface swim. i have testing that morning. but i'll be open in the afternoon though.
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

That sounds ok, just so long as we are done in time for me to be at Bob's seminar at 6. What time would you want to meet there to start?

Nick
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I don't mean to interrupt or anything.. But the Edmonds Oil dock is most certianly current sensitive.. I dove there once when it was supposed to be slack and still had the current ripping me off of the pilings. It was all I could do to swim from piling to piling (and believe me there are many many pilings) and not be pushed away from the oil dock north.. I swore after that I would never dive the oil dock again without a boat.. Probably one of the longer surface swims I have ever had.. Again, sorry to but in, I just had to add my 2 psi...
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Yes, I concur, the Oil Dock at Edmonds is VERY current sensitive and you can get spanked hard if it's not timed right.

-Valerie
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

So Jeff, what time do you want to meet there? How do the tides/currents look for saturday? If they're bad, you wanna go somewhere else?

Nick
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

oops my bad. it is. i have been lucky i guess. testing is over about 1 how about 2 or 2:30 in the pm??
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

jeff98208 wrote:oops my bad. it is. i have been lucky i guess. testing is over about 1 how about 2 or 2:30 in the pm??
Off the top of my head, I don't know the corrections for current based on Admiralty Inlet, but slack there is at 3 pm:

Admiralty Inlet 9-15 currents

So, an afternoon dive looks like it makes sense. Just figure out the correction for slack and be in the water a half hour beforehand.

My 2 psi.
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Jeff, 2:00 sounds good to me. The earlier the better. I'll pm you my cell phone, just in case.

Nick