July 15th - Dive Club BBQ w/ Presentation by John Rawlings

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sorry to hear that Sparky ... them's the brakes (groan) ... ](*,)

Hope to see you up this way sometime soon ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Grateful Diver wrote:Sorry to hear that Sparky ... them's the brakes (groan) ... ](*,)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob... (groaning)... you should be ashamed of yourself.... [-X
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm also sorry to hear you can't make it Sparky, but I'd rather have you missing from the BBQ than driving up here without proper braking capability.

The summer is only midway over and we'll get to dive or hang out soon :salute:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Tough brakes Sparky... :violent1:

I will miss seeing you... Come up and dive with us in Tacoma sometime!
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I just wanted to say thanks, to John Rawlings for the presentation. It was fantastic, Johns enthusiasm for telling that story made it better then I had ever expected. I had been following the Warren story in the press for the past few years. And to here it first hand from one of the members of the team was a real treat. Thanks a bunch John!! :prayer:

Also gotta say thanks to Calvin for hosting You gotta real nice place!! And everyone that showed up for Johns presentation.
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Great turnout with 17 of us (missing Sparky though). This club just keeps getting better and better. Regardless of the diving (and you guys know how fanatical I am about that) and the gear (ahem, same thing), I've met such nice people through this little site and I'm glad we can all get together and have a great time.

Thanks to John for the presentation. I had some high expectations, as I think others did too, but they were completely surpassed by both the presentation itself and the heartfelt delivery. The team that solved this mystery is definitely top shelf!

Also, the information about DCS, insurance and equipment was very informative and I hope will contribute to safer diving by club members. I know that a few of us stayed after just to ask more questions.

Also, great photography John! I better stop now before I get carried away. I had a terrific time. Thanks everyone, for coming. :supz:
Last edited by Tangfish on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, that was great. John Rawlings explained to us how he, personally, solved the mystery of the Warren's disappearance without any help from anyone else. He told us all about how the other people got in his way and slowed him down, but how he was able to overcome all the obstacles they presented!

Just kidding! For the record, John made every effort to stress the teamwork involved, and specifically requested we not post drivel such as I typed above. But I couldn't help myself. Sorry, Mr. R!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to come and share all your time, stories, and humor with our lil' dive club. The Warren presentation was amazing, looking over all your tech gear was enough to make me light headed with gear-lust, and I was really thankfull to you for your candor discussing your DCS hit. But mostly, it was great to meet you. I hope your time on land only increases the pleasure of all your future dives, and I hope we can do some of those dives with you!
Big thanks to Calvin for hosting and organizing, and thanks to everyone who showed up - I really, really, enjoyed the hell out of this afternoon, and hope all of you did, too!
:supz:

(Sorry you couldn't make it, Sparky!)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I also wanted to say thanks for the gear presentation. Folks like John and Gratefull diver's input on different types of gear is a real bonus.
Who run barter town?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

O had a blast, and loved meeting you John, thank you for sharing your experience with us. and al your knowledge!! :prayer: I love the MAgs and all the pictures in it. I had a great time.

Calvin nice deck and view, and office. I appreciate you having all us in your work place for a party and gathering. Hope to do it again soon.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Oh and the applesauce cake was bomb Diverdown. Thanks and maybe you should think about posting the recipe in our new divers food forum we should have. Calvin get on that. man i love that cake. =D>
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Maverick wrote:Oh and the applesauce cake was bomb Diverdown. Thanks and maybe you should think about posting the recipe in our new divers food forum
The how would diverdown and tracie attract us all like bees to honey? Well, if we did have a recipe forum, then I could recreate Nailer's enchiladas at a sphincter-safe level of spiciness.

:la:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Ha Ha, you must have mistakin me for some one that cooks!! Actually it was mrs DiverDown aka dolphin-diver. And she says thank you!!
Who run barter town?
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

Here's another thanks to the time you shared with us Mr Rawlings. Its cool to hear of great divers in our local area but its unbelievable to have them talk and share their stories with you, thanks so much John. Its great to have people like you around.
Thanks also to grateful diver for letting me chitt-chatt about certifications with you.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Calvin Tang wrote: if we did have a recipe forum, then I could recreate Nailer's enchiladas at a sphincter-safe level of spiciness.

:la:
I will second that!! \:D/
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I owe you guys a milder batch. We got a little carried away with those. I'll bring something kinder to a dive or something soon!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm chiming in with good wishes to all of you I met today. I would have stayed longer but had another event up north.

I couldn't say good bye to everyone (and probably would have made some horrible mutations between your NWDC handles and your real names) so just headed out.

Thanks, John. The presentation was great. I'll be diving Crescent on the 30th. You and the Warrens will be in my thoughts as I do.

Thanks for hosting, Calvin. Good job and very nice facility.

Now, let's DIVE!

Dave "Sasquatch" Smith
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Its always nice to meet new faces, glad that you showed up!! :partyman:
Who run barter town?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Echoes, and Dittoes, and Me To's about all the wonderful stuff everyone said! It's all true and more!!

Thanks John, for your heartfelt presentation. Thanks for showing us your equipment, pics, and your passion. What a pleasure!

Also, loved the two copies of ADM that I took. Great mag! Loved the heaviness on content, and even though much of it is over my head (in more ways than one) I found it very interesting and worthwhile. I also loved your writing, and look forward to reading more in the future! (When's your book coming out?!?) :book:

It was also great to talk with and mostly listen to Grateful Diver! Bob, your reputation precedes you, and you have so far exceeded it. Your students are fortunate, and your friends more so.

Great digs, Calvin... thanks for hosting us. Missed you Sparky! And thanks to all the great folks that make up NW Dive Club. You guys and gals are great! :supz:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Hey John I noticed one of the articles in ADM was written by Mr Bernie Chowdhury the writer of the Last Dive, Do you know him?
Who run barter town?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Wow! Thanks, everyone, for your kind words! Sometimes when speaking to an audience you can just simply "feel it click" with the group, and I had just such a sensation yesterday.

The location was great....the food was great....the people were great! What more can be said other than I had a fine time and look forward to seeing each of you again in the future...perhaps for a dive or two!

Yes, Diverdown, I do know Bernie. He used to be the publisher of "Immersed" magazine, a friendly rival to ADM. Sadly, "Immersed" is now defunct, but Bernie now writes the occasional article for ADM. He's a great guy!

Again, thanks to all of your for your kind attention and interest yesterday - it made my day! Special thanks to Calvin for setting it all up.

Best regards to you all!

John

PS - Will someone please provide me with a DNA sample from Sparky? I need some evidence that he actually exists! #-o
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Sparky

Post by Scubak »

Sparky exsists!!! I saw him once. He is just as elusive as the Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker!!! :)
"Let's go diving!"
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Yeah.....but I've actually SEEN a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker!!!! HA!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Several of you yesterday were asking me about my Golem Gear wing that was on my rebreather. It was their 35 pound wing designed for either single-tank use or a rebreather, although you will notice on their site that other sizes are available for use with doubles.

My friend, Jakub, owns Golem Gear and he is usually the one that will answer the phone if you choose to call. If you do, please make sure to tell that "John Rawlings sent ya!" :salute:

Here's the Golem Gear website link to their wings:

http://www.golemgear.com/c-2-bcdswings.aspx

You'll notice that they carry both Oxycheq and Dive-Rite gear as well as their own brand.

It's an exciting time to be diving - there really is some super-quality gear available out there from small dynamic companies such as Golem Gear, Deep Sea Supply and Oxycheq as well as some of the "big boys" like Dive-Rite.

- John

- John

Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Hi there, all.

I posted some shots of the BBQ in the gallery. I don't know how to link directly to it but if you go to the gallery it'll be there under my name, Sasquatch or John Rawlings' Presentation. I don't know...

Sea ya!

(Sparky can check it out, now)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sasquatch wrote:I don't know how to link directly to it but if you go to the gallery it'll be there under my name, Sasquatch

Here ya go!